Why become a member? ×

Help with String Volume for bluegrass

mickcope

I am just starting with Upright and have joined a bluegrass band. I went to a jam last night - and another upright players bass was almost twice as loud as mine and the strings were a lot more flexible and easier to play. The D and G looked different from the E and A strings. The D and G seemed like a nylon wrap and the E and A more of a metal wrap. She wasn't too sure what make they were - but i really want to get hold of a set

I have seen the La Bella Supernil Double Bass Nylon Filament strings for sake and wondered if it might be them

Any tips please

Mick

Hard to tell but some players use different strings for G and D from the E and A. One variant is to use Spirocore for the E and A and gut or similar for the higher two.

This obviously doesn't make your search any easier!

Someone will be along with more insight I'm sure but you could have a look at Gollihur's website and see if you can see something that sounds like a match.

It also depends on your instrument, how it's set up, how you play etc...It's not just strings. I took a bass for a health check up and it came back so much louder just from knocking the bridge and sound post around a little. If you haven't had your bass looked at professionally, it might be worth the effort.

I attended a bluegrass instructional weekend in October ('Sorefingers') and there was a lady there with Rotosound Rs4000 strings on her bass which sound to me like the ones you have described. They are basically synthetic equivalents of an old time gut set with metal wrapped E and A but at a much lower price than guts. Herbie Flowers uses them. They are very low tension indeed and were not that loud in my view, so the comments above on set-up may be very relevant.

http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-862-0-57064300-1344451156.jpg

I am playing occasionally in a bluegrass type outfit and I sm using Spiro Weich E and A and gut D and G, however Velvet strings also work well in this genre as they are low tension and quite loud (the cheapest ones Blues are very good and similar gauge to 'regular' steel strings while the fatter gauge Garbos and Animas are slightly better sounding albeit pricier).

Edited by Clarky

Perceived volume depends on many factors. If you're just starting out, it may take a while to get your core strength built up to play 'louder'. Some players sound louder because they're able to dig in more due to years of practice. The strings do make a difference, however, most of it is down to your skill / technique / experience on the instrument. If you want to go as loud as possible (acoustically), you'll need high tension steel strings and the biggest bass possible, as well as years and years of solid practice. I've used Rotosounds RS4000 before, as described by Clarky, and concur that these aren't particularly 'loud', compared to other strings such as steels, but again, it depends how you play them.

Did anyone else comment on the volume difference or was it just you who noticed? Her bass will naturally sound louder when you're stood in front of her playing compared to your bass when you're playing. Might have just been a case of where the sound is projecting?

In my opinion right arm technique is what makes the biggest difference. There are a lot of people out there who have been playing for ages, can master tricky solos and have all the best gear, yet still lack a good acoustic tone simply because they have overlooked the fundamentals. If you spend a lot of time and maybe a little bit of money on getting your basic technique right your volume will go up a lot, along with your playing. Then You can get gear to sound like your head is telling you, but first I'd say get that muscle memory down with lessons and loads of practice. Sorry if you've already thought of that and all the very best with your bluegrass band: have a blast!

• 3 weeks later...