Why become a member? ×

Custom serials and decals

Andytre

Iv been buying cheap guitars, basses and parts off ebay and gumtree, stripping them down and refinishing and upgrading, so far iv built a nice black with maple neck/board P bass, a strat guitar, fretless P and have just started a sunburst jazz. i was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get some good quality custom waterslide decals (undecided on what there going to say yet!) and some custom waterslide serials (looking to have my initials plus the date of the guitars completion) iv seen some on eBay but am a bit dubious on the quality! I'm not going to be selling these or anything their purely for me but i do like things to look professional and have little bit of 'polish' to them!

A couple of years back now but I had one made by this guy [url="http://www.guitardecals.co.uk/"]http://www.guitardecals.co.uk/[/url] when I re-finished the headstock of a Precision Lyte. It wasn't a stock item, so I sent him a picture of the old headstock decal and he made it up with the correct fonts and with the original serial number. Came out just fine.

For custom decals I'd recommend Rothko & Frost. They are VERY thin & need careful handling when wet / sliding, but nice & easy to get a flat lacquer over the top. For F 'replacement' I've also used Northwest Guitars' decals which are slightly thicker and therefore easier to handle, but require more layres of clear coat.

I drew some up in Corel draw and just printed on clear adhesive paper.
If you get board you can rip them off easy and apply new ones, and leave little to no marks of you want to sell arts on.

Very easy and quick. I knocked a few up with in an hour(different fonts for front decal).

• 3 weeks later...