Why become a member? ×

Do I really need a spare bass...

Guest BeardyBob

Guest BeardyBob

Hello!

We insist our guitarists gig with a spare guitar each. Why? Because they snap strings. A lot.

While they've got a string change down to 1minute 24seconds, our singer has grown tired of recanting tales to fill the time.

(Naturally, I'm not allowed to see nor talk to the audience: I'm Northern)

I've started carrying a spare too. Guess I'll eventually snap a string, I figure it's more-so to keep professional...

... and avoid that dread of asking to borrow someone's bass should I find *my* neck is now *two* necks.

My question being, do you/have-you-ever-wished-you-did gig with a spare?

What about those lovely weird tunings? One total? One for each? One plus spare for each? Fries with that?

Thank you. Good bye.

These days I rarely gig without a spare bass. Ever since I broke a string at one of my first ever gigs and didn't have a spare (bass or string) and end up having to borrow the other band's Grant Violin Bass copy that had pretty much nothing in common with my bass, I've taken a spare on stage. Over the intervening 35 years (and 100s of gigs) I've only actually needed to use it a handful of times, but I'm always glad it's there just in case.

In the days when I played both fretted and fretless I used to have a spare for each.

Edited by BigRedX

I Always have a spare tuned up ready in case. Its not only strings that go, there are a multitude of other gremlins lurking in the nether regions of the bassworld!
Oh, and a Sansamp in case the amplifier packs up as well!

Edited by Hobbayne

I always carry a spare to gigs. When I know space it tight I take my Hohner B2A which takes up practically no space in the car or on stage, usually stashed behind the rig 'just in case'. Or sometimes just because I like it.

I'm mostly playing a precision these days and don't break strings but have a back up set in the case anyway. Used to take a spare bass all over and never used it. Of course the next gig I'll have some bizarre internal wire come loose...nah, what am I talking about, it's a precision :happy:

I used to lug one to every gig I played until I realised I never used it so decided to stop - I think spare strings are probably enough for me.

All this talk of amp failure is making me think I need a EQ/DI pedal though - might keep an eye out for a used Sansamp in classifieds...

I always carry a spare....I am often loading the car and the question comes to mind.....you've never needed it so why bother taking it....but as someone else put earlier in the thread "the only reason I have never needed it is purely because I have a spare to hand!" That's why I always have a spare amp of some form available

I've most often not carried a spare because for many years from when I first started playing I only ever had one bass. Most people I knew only had one instrument.

The reason for having only one instrument was cost compared to income. So it's very noticeable how this thread tends to assume that everyone will own a spare instrument.

[quote name='BeardyBob' timestamp='1418055413' post='2626344']

... We insist our guitarists gig with a spare guitar each. Why? Because they snap strings. A lot ...

[/quote]
I insist no such thing.

There's only one guitarist I play with who always has a spare guitar and that's because he uses several different tunings. I've never known him to break a string.

Three other guitarists I often play with also don't break strings.

If your guitarist is breaking strings a lot then he or she probably needs heavier strings or a lighter touch.

I'm lazy so let transport dictate.

Driving = the lot.

Public transport = 1 bass + spare strings.

Only fail I've ever had live was a Straplok, nearly broke a toe and then finished the gig sat in a chair.

Ever since then I've always taken a spare chair.

I`ve a backup bass, and before gigs I check that both are working properly, that all nuts/screws etc are tight, then take my main bass and spare strings to the gig. I really should take both, but I`ve just gotten lazy. Why should I take both, well at one gig I played the other bassist dropped his bass with the lead in the jack and knacked it. Spare strings won`t sort that. Admittedly if I`ve got to use public transport I`m def only taking one but I really need to up my game here and remember why I bought the the backup and act accordingly.