Why become a member? ×

MusicMan sounding dull!

smoke

Hey guys,

I've bought a brand new (old new stock they call it) MM 25th Anniversary double humbucker bass. Was super excited to get it from the states ... rushed home to plug it in... and then disaster! Its as dull as old newspapers! Tried all the different combos on the bass, tried two different rigs... just can't get any decent tone out of it.
Have called MM factory to check the serial number to see if it's truly new and genuine. All matches up. The bass was completed late 2009 and has apparently sat somewhere in the stores ever since. So my first thought (and the dudes in the factory too) was get the strings replaced! New strings now on the way, but was wondering if you guys have any other suggestions as to what to check for causing this issue ... cos the bass is a total beauty and I just want to play it!!!!

Not owned an HH 25th but have played a Standard HH Ray4 in a shoppe. Daft question, but have you played it just on the bridge pup - I found playing on both pups was a bit muddy for my tastes compared to a single H ray4. Couldn't tell you if I was series, parallel or whatever mind.

Edited by martthebass

Erm dude in the shop said he'll put the new batteries in (cos they'd leaked by now if they sat in the bass for 5 years), but I shall check that. Changing settings on the bass (series, parallels, pup config etc) makes a difference to the tone, but it still has no high frequencies at all. Even boosting them on eq does little. Adds hiss when pushed to the max, but there just isn't any clarity ... hope it's just the strings.

Had a bass in for repair because of 'major problems' recently. Strange popping noises and really didn't sound right.

Owner had taken it to another dealer repair who'd taken it apart but were unable to fix it because they couldn't get a copy of the wiring diagram. Thought he'd see if we could uncover what was wrong.

I put a new battery in - it's now 'fixed' :)

Hiss is only there when I crank up the highs on the eq. Passive mode switches the eq off.

This MM takes two batteries as it turns out. Have replaced one, need to go buy another one today. :)

Edited by smoke

[quote name='smoke' timestamp='1418113765' post='2626868']
Hiss is only there when I crank up the highs on the eq. Passive mode switches the eq off.

This MM takes two batteries as it turns out. Have replaced one, need to go buy another one today. :)
[/quote]

That is good news - indicates the batteries are duff :) I'm sure all will be well when you have replaced them both. You have bought yourself a fine bass there sir - when you've changed batteries & strings and you're happy please post pics. It's a shame the shine has been taken off your purchase initially but i'm sure that a huge grin will be on your face when you next plug in.

You should always change batteries at the same time. Otherwise the weaker one causes a much higher current draw in the stronger one and kills it much faster.

That being said, I reckon strings are the main issue here. It's not necessarily old strings, could be strings with a tone you hate.

When I got my Marleaux it had Marleaux strings on it. It sounded bloody awful. There was a spare set, so put them on as well and it was also awful. I was close to selling the bass - then I put my preferred D'addario Pro-Steels on it and it was superb.

strings comes to my mind when you said dull. I had this problem with my bongo before. First time i got the bass it sound absolute garbage. Dull and lifeless. After string replace and correct setup, the bass sounded nice but i come to the point where MM bass is not really my thing. I gone through string ray and bongo and I come to the point where i decided is not my thing anymore. P and J is all i ever need right now lol.

[quote name='smoke' timestamp='1418071512' post='2626609']
Erm dude in the shop said he'll put the new batteries in (cos they'd leaked by now if they sat in the bass for 5 years),
[/quote]

Very rare for modern batteries to leak - I have some that have been in effects pedals for longer than that (nearer 10 for one) and are as clean as a whistle. Will no doubt get loads of posts of leaking batteries now :o

I haven't had 9V batteries leak, but had to throw away my sons favourite remote car cos Duracells (3 out of 5) leaked all over and corroded the whole thing. They weren't even that old. And a week before had the same issue with the alarm clock, though I managed to save the clock - I'd prefer to have not saved it, frankly, it just wakes me up every day! :D

... should probably pay attention not to by Duracells made in Romania or wherever they make them for the eastern Europe market (apologies to all my Romanian neighbors - I'm sure Serbian batteries are not any better, as a matter of fact, we can't even make them) :)

Well, apart from the obvious as mentioned above it might just not sing very well which is the problem with
buying blind..
I hope that isn't the case, but I am prety sceptical that a production made bass 'thrown' together is garaunteed
to sound good, let alone great. No doubt some do..but by the same token, some don't and they can totally clash
and just be 'wrong'..IMO.

[quote name='smoke' timestamp='1418157160' post='2627556']
Yeah. I did test couple of these before, but haven't played the one i bought ... so guess there's a risk there, yes. Not sure what you refer to when you say 'thrown together' ...
[/quote]
Dont feed the troll ;) :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Despite the prestige, musicman are still a production company, they churn these things out like hot cakes. Much the same as fender, gibson or any other production company, they churn out in the most part at least the expected quality instrument. Occasionally you get a "lemon", but this is a personal thing. What one deems a lemon is another mans master piece.
I've learned the hard way to try before you buy, but you would expect that this beast of yours would churn out a certain tone. I hope for your sake it's just the batteries and you will be away.
Playing devils advocate though, did you not wonder why a special run like a 25th Anniversary has not sold from new in 5 years?
Keep us posted mate, I know was numbed when I plugged my musicman in for the first time And was unimpressed, it's a heart is king feeling. Luckily for me though, my young bloke had been in my practice room and mucked about with the eq on my amp, so a quick dial back of the bass from full and the hi and mods from 0 and it there it was, stingray in full!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1418160445' post='2627609']
Playing devils advocate though, did you not wonder why a special run like a 25th Anniversary has not sold from new in 5 years?
[/quote]

Yup, I have ... got it from a small, disorganised looking store in the middle of nowhere in Canada. But yes, it still makes you question. Especially considering it was also rather cheap. :(
It is not batteries, tested both and both full. Praying it's the strings - new Cobalts on their way, if they don't help, nothing will... will update you all on Thursday.