Why become a member? ×

MusicMan sounding dull!

smoke

[quote name='smoke' timestamp='1418163049' post='2627657']
Yup, I have ... got it from a small, disorganised looking store in the middle of nowhere in Canada. But yes, it still makes you question. Especially considering it was also rather cheap. :(
It is not batteries, tested both and both full. Praying it's the strings - new Cobalts on their way, if they don't help, nothing will... will update you all on Thursday.
[/quote]

If it doesn't brighten up with the new Cobalts...

Fingers crossed!!!

[size=4][font=Arial, sans-serif]Ha Ha Ha[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Ernie Ball super slinky 45 – 100[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Just feel right on my bass. I tried different strings for about 2 years until I tried these and have not changed since.[/font][/size]

Edited by seymourfluid

I'm not a fan of rotosounds, they just go dull really quickly I don't care what anyone says it's the truth, the dean markley blue steel have been good,I suppose a bit like a free meal always tastes better than when you pay for one my judgement could be clouded but I'm happy with them, similar to eb ones I'd say but I'm not overly fussy about strings or amps or anything really, lol

I think the trouble with rotos is I see the same people saying they are plenty bright enough, those people usually use a P bass with foam behind the strings and a 1x18 cab with no tweeter! Getting all the goodness from your new bass needs some sparkle IMO, you can always cut the treble but never create it with eq successfully, give them a go :)

batteries... strings should sort it....

But looking at your sig, Jazz through a EBS amp I would think has a fair amount of top end on tap..... depending what you are listening to a Humbucker like a MM pup will probably be more attenuated at the top end than a single coil like in your jazz.

[quote name='seymourfluid' timestamp='1418238811' post='2628374']
[size=4][font=Arial, sans-serif]Ha Ha Ha[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Ernie Ball super slinky 45 – 100[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Just feel right on my bass. I tried different strings for about 2 years until I tried these and have not changed since.[/font][/size]
[/quote]
Ive been happily using regular slinkies 45-105 on my basses for a few years. Really like them too

Well, I'm pleased to say, the new strings did the trick. In mad panic I went for the Cobalts and now I think they are uberbright!! Hahahaha But knowing them, they will dull down in a short while. :)

Now I need to get used to the bass and find my tone... or tones, we'll see. Lots of buttons to press!!

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1418303782' post='2628954']
Roto is pretty cheap and is great. The only thing i don't like them is the brightness don't stay for long before it start getting dull again .......

I like their flats tho. Nice tension and brightness in my opinion.
[/quote]
I can imagine their flats being ok actually, pmt gave me a new set of roto strings with my new jazz a few weeks ago, they were dull in less than one gig!

I always find elites ok for cheaper strings but the green eb ones are my regular purchase.

Anyway im glad the bass is sounding good now, what about a few pics eh ? :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418316859' post='2629131'] Anyway im glad the bass is sounding good now, what about a few pics eh ? :D [/quote]

Yep - pics please - as soon as you like :gas: Also could you please change the thread title to MusicMan sounding too bright :ph34r: Glad you got it sorted out.

Edited by mr zed

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1418303782' post='2628954']
I like their flats tho. Nice tension and brightness in my opinion.
[/quote]

Each to their own I guess - the problem I found with Roto flats (on an SR5) was the extreme tension - felt like you needed to be a champion arm wrestler to play it. To be fair I didn't re set the bass up, persevered for a month or two - just ditched the strings. I have EB Group 3 flats on my fretless Ray and they have similar tension to rounds, as do TI flats.

Glad the OP has sorted his 25th Anniversary bass out - it should be full of usable sounds. Playing near the neck joint will get the thump and lose some treble if you're after that sort of sound at any time - yiu can also cut the treble on the EQ.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1418560269' post='2631128']
Each to their own I guess - the problem I found with Roto flats (on an SR5) was the extreme tension - felt like you needed to be a champion arm wrestler to play it. To be fair I didn't re set the bass up, persevered for a month or two - just ditched the strings. I have EB Group 3 flats on my fretless Ray and they have similar tension to rounds, as do TI flats.
[/quote]

Talking about the rotosound flats, I just change my mind on my opinion on them. I recently restrung my fretless with a set of used roto flats and I took them off straight away. Way too much tension for my taste on the fretless bass. It kinda remind me why I didn't use them anymore.

I've order a set of roto black nylon flats which suppose to be less tension so hope it will go well on my fretless.

• 2 weeks later...

some photos to those that were asking for them ... took me a while to get round to do it! Light is a bit pants, but I'm absolutely loving the bass!!

[attachment=179519:IMG_2035.JPG]

[attachment=179520:IMG_2037.JPG]

Edited by smoke

Do You Know I've Had 5 MM basses over the years I still own 2 and last night I thought myself "why does this one seem to not cut it any more"

Bugger me ( I worked it out,I haven't Played if for a year ) its gonna be the Battery!!

it Happens to us all.........

Edited by witterth