Why become a member? ×

New Kemper Profiling amp on its way !!!

cliffyspliff

Ive ordered a new Powered Kemper from Thomann and should be here on Wednesday.... Can any of you point me out to some great bass profiles out there for free or otherwise that I can try when I get it?

I'm hopefully looking to gig it this weekend ... So may not have too much time to tinker before then ... So kind of looking for a head start.

I play classic to heavy rock with a Streamer stage 2 and musicman Bongo.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='danweb22' timestamp='1418074374' post='2626687']
This is the route I'm thinking of going down, powered kemper into a barefaced big baby 2! Interested to hear how it sounds at the gig
[/quote]

I've actually been gigging 2 or 3 gigs most weekends for the last 4/5 months ....using an Alesis IO Dock with an IPad using Jam up pro and Bias .... Then using the power amp return of my TC Classic head ... Into RS 210 and RS 212 cabs ...it's very portable ....And it sounds awesome.

But due to us gigging so much .... It's only a matter of time before the iPad gets dropped or stood on .... And I know that is going to pee me off.

I love the flexibility of the different amps I'm able to use thoughout each gig .... And I love the idea of being able to do this with the Kemper whilst in it's carry case .... being a bit more gig resistant.

I have an all tube Markbass classic300 that I can't wait to profile as it has great tone .... But is a bit of a slog for my old bones carrying up and down steps at gigs.

I'm hoping the Kemper is going to be light and just plug and play.

Just got to find great profiles .... So a bass bash may well be in order 👍

I'm really interested in a Kemper, but the thing that puts me off a bit, Is I don't feel I would have the facility to profile amps as well as people seem to.

Ace from skunk Anansie recently profiled all of his, but everyone seems to get set up in full on professional studios to do it.

I've tended to see the kempler as purely a studio tool rather than for live use.

As amazing as the Kempler is, unless you are playing pub gigs without FOH support (and in all honesty, why would anyone bring a Kempler to a pub gig if the punters won't appreciate the difference) changing amp settings between songs is going to drive any sound engineer nuts. Plus you'll sound awful through the FOH until the engineer has compensated for any changes in eq as a result of changing the settings.

Plugging the kempler into another (coloured) bass amp doesn't make sense either. In order to get the best out of it the whole signal chain needs to be as transparent as possible - you might as well purchase a PA system and run that into bass cabs...or a complete Warwick Hellborg backline (pre/power and cabs).

<Asbestos coat>: ON

The one thing that did worry me about using it live .... was it`s output going through two 8ohm bass cabs .... and if it is properly designed to run at 4ohms at gig volume.

3/4 of our band are currently using in ears though and are currently putting pressure on the guitarist to join us.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418119542' post='2626934']
I've tended to see the kempler as purely a studio tool rather than for live use.

As amazing as the Kempler is, unless you are playing pub gigs without FOH support (and in all honesty, why would anyone bring a Kempler to a pub gig if the punters won't appreciate the difference) changing amp settings between songs is going to drive any sound engineer nuts. Plus you'll sound awful through the FOH until the engineer has compensated for any changes in eq as a result of changing the settings.

Plugging the kempler into another (coloured) bass amp doesn't make sense either. In order to get the best out of it the whole signal chain needs to be as transparent as possible - you might as well purchase a PA system and run that into bass cabs...or a complete Warwick Hellborg backline (pre/power and cabs).

<Asbestos coat>: ON
[/quote]

We always mic everything and go through FOH ... even in small pubs... and it will obviously take a bit of tweaking to get the profiles level in sound output .... but thats no biggy it was the same thing when our guitarist started using the AXE FX.... or even myself using Jam up or Bias

As for the punters not not appreciating the difference .... I know that potentially i can put out a bass sound thats as good as anybodys out there ..not saying my playing is as good as anybodys out there mind... and that makes me feel good ...

Part of it for any gigging musician .... must be about playing through the best gear..

We practice hard ...gig alot .... the cost of this thing will be covered in a few months ... so why not.

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1418123315' post='2627002']
Part of it for any gigging musician .... must be about playing through the best gear...[/quote]
OK let me make a distinction here in that I've got no experience of using IEM's live. So clearly if the Kempler helps introduce more of an organic feel to what you hear yourself playing, that's fair enough and your experience will be difference to mine. Although my point about chopping and changing amp settings mid gig still stands.

So my comments are really directed towards anyone thinking about using this kind of gear without IEM's. As you'll see from my signature, I don't play through crap myself. But I know from experience (of not using IEMs) that there's little point in investing in studio gear for live use because it doesn't make a big difference when faced with a wall of distorted guitar and crash cymbals. This is why I've gone from a rack based set up using a studio quality effects preamp, studio quality parametric eq and class d power amp, to using a couple of Genz Benz Shuttles and a Zoom B3 pedal. The difference in sound quality between the pedal and the effects preamp is negligible on stage...particularly when the core objective on stage is simply to hear what pitch I'm playing.

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1418123315' post='2627002']
We practice hard ...gig alot .... the cost of this thing will be covered in a few months ... so why not.
[/quote]
Because generally I wonder how productive and effective the Kempler is for people who don't use IEM's. Kemplers aren't cheap and, on initial consideration, it makes more financial sense to stick the money into a bit of esoteric or vintage gear (like an analogue Korg Delta synth or a Musicman Cutlass bass) that might go up in value with the right buyer.

However with the Kempler (and other bits of modelling kit) there is one advantage in that in blowing two grand on the kit, it might save some musicians from blowing five grand on a succession of bass amps and cabs in the search for their Holy Grail of tone. (Which I'll freely admit I've done on the way to where I am now).

So I guess the ideal situation would be if someone has access to a Kempler without actually paying for all (or any) of it, the unit is a useful (if expensive compared to a Zoom B3 or Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5) tool for exploring what amps and cabs might sound good. But inevitably, once the search is over and an ideal set up is reached, such kit tends to become surplus to requirements and is sold off at a loss on the basis the capital tied up in it could be better used somewhere else (which again, I'll freely admit is where I'm at now).

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418131268' post='2627129']
The difference in sound quality between the pedal and the effects preamp is negligible on stage...particularly when the core objective on stage is simply to hear what pitch I'm playing.

[/quote]

I do understand and get what you are saying .... But I guess the point im trying to make is ..... for me .... part of the fun and appeal of playing music live .... is playing through quality gear and trying to get the best sound I possibly can on stage ..... i understand it is expensive .... but if i get a few years gigs out of it its paid for itself .... My in ear monitors were expensive .... But i would never play a gig without them now ...they are that good.

Reading reviews ... If I want an Ampeg svt CL sound or even a Dr Z mini combo .... I can have exactly that in a light portable rig .... the possibilities with this thing seem endless.

I havent tried it yet though ... so i will wait and see lol

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418119542' post='2626934']
...changing amp settings between songs is going to drive any sound engineer nuts. Plus you'll sound awful through the FOH until the engineer has compensated for any changes in eq as a result of changing the settings...
[/quote]

When I play bass I always have at least 4 sounds in every song, let alone between songs. It takes time to set them right, but once they're right, it's done. Why would switching amps or amp profiles be any different?

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1418136718' post='2627215']
for me .... part of the fun and appeal of playing music live .... is playing through quality gear and trying to get the best sound I possibly can on stage
[/quote]
But what do you mean by "best"? And how does the Kempler fit into that expectation? :)

It's definitely an interesting piece of kit which promises a lot. As an ultimate test I would be curious to hear how well the Kempler can replicate amp sag. Guitar Rig has it as a setting but I've not noticed a significant difference (although I haven't played with it at volume).

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1418137470' post='2627226']

When I play bass I always have at least 4 sounds in every song, let alone between songs. It takes time to set them right, but once they're right, it's done. Why would switching amps or amp profiles be any different?[/quote]
That is like a completely different world to mine. Does your sound engineer have anything to say about the effect that has on the FOH eq. settings?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418138532' post='2627241']
That is like a completely different world to mine. Does your sound engineer have anything to say about the effect that has on the FOH eq. settings?
[/quote]

I've not played on bass in years :( but no, never had any complaints. I just gave them a DI and asked them to mic the guitar cab I was using as well

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418138200' post='2627235']
But what do you mean by "best"? And how does the Kempler fit into that expectation? :)

[/quote]

Best bass sound is deep punchy sits well in the mix ....and you can feel it hitting you in the guts .... not wooly .... milky or fluffy...

If the Kemper can exactly replicate an Ampeg SVT classic and is about about the 20th of the weight .... I`ll be very happy.

Just to update this ....

Gigged the Kemper powerhead tonight and I have to say it was awesome .... One of the best sounds I've ever had ... And I've been playing live a while..

I played safe used one of the Ampeg SVT patches ... From the recent update tonight and stuck with it ... As I haven't had much time to tinker with sounds this week... Loved it ..

I did use the pitch shifter though and was blown away by how good it sounded ... We play QOSA ...No One Knows ... In drop C tuning and it sounded great ...

So that one less guitar I have to carry ...

I'm glad I bought this ... I know it cost a lot of money ... But I'm really glad I bought it ...

If your thinking about buying it ... Definately ndo it 👍

iv had a kemper for ages, when profiling i can honestly say you cannot tell the original from the profile (on a recorded track) no bottom end is lost.also the latest update includes a great selection of bass rigs, i dont have the powered version as it hadnt been released when i got mine but it sounds epic using my rh750 as a power amp into a s12t.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1418580205' post='2631379']

The Kemper has the pitchshift built in? That's cool. I use a Eventide Pitchfactor to play in C at the mo.
[/quote]

They are saying at the moment ... On the Kemper forum ... that the Kemper tracks and is as good as the Eventide Pitch factor ... I can't comment on this as I've not owned the pedal ... But I played drop C tuning on a standard tuned guitar Saturday with no bother.

The new bass rigs they added to the firmware update do sound great too .... 26 new rigs in total I believe ... Something for everyone 👍