Why become a member? ×

MXR - Love ya but you let me down....Darkglass to the rescue!

Chiliwailer

I like MXR guitar and bass pedals, always have.

In my bass set up I currently have a Micro Amp Plus, Bass Compressor, Bass Envelope Filter and a Bass Octave Deluxe. They do the job for me and are always tweakable and well useable, even if I also like other versions of my pedals out there (sometiems more), it's the versatility, chasis size or match up to my basses that stuck me with these.

So on Saturday I bought a Bass Overdrive, i never played one before and I had no time to test it. But what they hey, I like MXR, need a small chasis as I'm out of board space and surely it's a good'n at a very nice price? Not for me I'm sorry to say, far too muddy, not versatile and not a joy at all for me to play. I reckon it's a good pedal for the right player, but I was let down that it only had one real trick and didn't 'wow' me like the others.

Anyway, bought a Darkglass B3K this lunchtime. Can't wait to get home and make some noise.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1418131820' post='2627139']
I like MXR guitar and bass pedals, always have.

In my bass set up I currently have a Micro Amp Plus, Bass Compressor, Bass Envelope Filter and a Bass Octave Deluxe. They do the job for me and are always tweakable and well useable, even if I also like other versions of my pedals out there (sometiems more), it's the versatility, chasis size or match up to my basses that stuck me with these.

So on Saturday I bought a Bass Overdrive, i never played one before and I had no time to test it. But what they hey, I like MXR, need a small chasis as I'm out of board space and surely it's a good'n at a very nice price? Not for me I'm sorry to say, far too muddy, not versatile and not a joy at all for me to play. I reckon it's a good pedal for the right player, but I was let down that it only had one real trick and didn't 'wow' me like the others.

Anyway, bought a Darkglass B3K this lunchtime. Can't wait to get home and make some noise.
[/quote]

That's a pity. It sounds great on the MXR Youtube demo.

I think MXR make great pedals, the head of their bass pedal department is a lovely guy and a phenomenal bassist. The Envelope is one of the best I've tried and a main-stay on my board, but I just can't get into the drive pedals at all.

Si

This Darkglass B3K pedal is UNREAL!!!!

There are so many fantastic sounds, I was expecting the switches to make little variance but they really do tweak it very nicely and with thought. Already found some amazing tones which will get well used and cover many areas. Couldn't be happier with this one, a complete contrast to the MXR which didn't have one single tone I liked.

Sorry MXR, the overdrive just doesn't cut your usual mustard.

I'm a bit of an mxr fanboy too.
I found the same with the bass od, and the bass chorus too.
They both sound pretty meh to me, and have also been down the darkglass route, and now own both a b3k and vmt. They sound great in most environments, but I have ended up with an ehx glove on my main bands board.
For me the issue with the mxr bass od is the preset clean eq. I couldn't get on with losing that mid frequency presence. Dark sounding drives are great in the right situation, but without the option to temper it with a true clean sound severely limits the options.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1418211706' post='2627950']

For me the issue with the mxr bass od is the preset clean eq. I couldn't get on with losing that mid frequency presence. Dark sounding drives are great in the right situation, but without the option to temper it with a true clean sound severely limits the options.
[/quote]

+1

Shame to hear about the chorus, not that I have the room or a need for it. But I was thinking that perhaps next year I'd be restless one day and pop down the shops to get one for some good old fashioned consumer therapy. :)