Why become a member? ×

Should I re record my part in this song?

Thunderpaws

Evening all.

Please have a listen to one of our demo's that we mixed at the weekend. I don't own the recording desk so borrowed it when it came to recording.

I think it is clear that when I play on this song
www.soundcloud.com/sulasula-1/brace
that there is a fair amount of fret noise, I tended to play this around the neck pickup. I don't mind it but some others might. What do you all think?

Feedback greatly appreciated.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1418163762' post='2627665']...
Feedback greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

I never know, when I see this, whether only praise is wanted, or (hopefully..!) constructive criticism, but I'll chance my arm with this. Please be assured, however, from the outset that I'm in no way disparaging the effort that's gone into this, and that my tastes, such as they are, are likely to be wildly different. Firstly, then, kudos for getting such a result, and for sharing...
My overall impression (take this as being positive approbation...) was The Byrds meet R.E.M. meet The Who. I had no problems with the guitars, nor the vocals (maybe a bit more clarity for comprehension, but my hearing isn't great either, so...), especially the harmony backing. I was less impressed by the bass, unfortunately, which I found unnecessarily fussy, neglecting its duty of filling out the low end. A question of composition rather than playing technique, and I'll admit to being a bit 'old school' in that respect (doesn't stop me appreciating The Ox, or Jack Casady, though..! ;)[size=4] [/size][size=4]). I liked even less the 'bass solo' spot towards the end; again, not from the 'fret noise' point of view, merely the appropriateness of the passage. Sorry.[/size]
[size=4]Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there, as I liked the drums even less. I got the impression of 'dragging', with timing issues, [/size]exacerbated[size=4] by (again, in my humble opinion...) a lousy snare sound and under-defined kick. Again, sorry.[/size]
My apologies for not being more enthusiastic; I really wish I could have been more kindly. Please take no umbrage from this; if it rankles, ignore it as the rantings of an old deaf fuddy-duddy. Congratulations on being able, as a group, to compose, arrange, play and record to such a high standard.
Hope this helps.

I'm afraid I have to disagree a bit with Douglas...
There's room for improvement in both snare and kick, and there's room for making the bass sound better.
However, I like the bass part - it's just too toppy which exacerbates fret buzz. I'd take out some top end and some high mid and pump up the low end a bit. That might not completely fix the bridge bit but there's an amazing amount you can do with eq, reverb and variable band compression!

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I haven’t listened to it yet (at work and no speakers), but you can usually tackle fret noise by EQing, rather than re-recording.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]A shelving EQ around 2kHz will kill most fret noise stone dead - or at least dampen it sufficiently for it to go unnoticed. But of course you’d need to play around with the EQ to get it sounding ‘right’ to your own taste.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Just an idea.[/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1418170212' post='2627721']

I never know, when I see this, whether only praise is wanted, or (hopefully..!) constructive criticism, but I'll chance my arm with this. Please be assured, however, from the outset that I'm in no way disparaging the effort that's gone into this, and that my tastes, such as they are, are likely to be wildly different. Firstly, then, kudos for getting such a result, and for sharing...
My overall impression (take this as being positive approbation...) was The Byrds meet R.E.M. meet The Who. I had no problems with the guitars, nor the vocals (maybe a bit more clarity for comprehension, but my hearing isn't great either, so...), especially the harmony backing. I was less impressed by the bass, unfortunately, which I found unnecessarily fussy, neglecting its duty of filling out the low end. A question of composition rather than playing technique, and I'll admit to being a bit 'old school' in that respect (doesn't stop me appreciating The Ox, or Jack Casady, though..! ;)[size=4] [/size][size=4]). I liked even less the 'bass solo' spot towards the end; again, not from the 'fret noise' point of view, merely the appropriateness of the passage. Sorry.[/size]
[size=4]Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there, as I liked the drums even less. I got the impression of 'dragging', with timing issues, [/size]exacerbated[size=4] by (again, in my humble opinion...) a lousy snare sound and under-defined kick. Again, sorry.[/size]
My apologies for not being more enthusiastic; I really wish I could have been more kindly. Please take no umbrage from this; if it rankles, ignore it as the rantings of an old deaf fuddy-duddy. Congratulations on being able, as a group, to compose, arrange, play and record to such a high standard.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]
Omg.....I think we were supposed to focus on the fret noise.... However, Douglas is nothing if not fair so I would have to say a direct and genuine appraisal there old boy. I have a terrible ear for this sort of thing so I won't comment.

The little solo bass bit sounds out of time. But I like it, sounds very early REM to me. Agree about the snare and kick sound and more bottom on the bass (What was it a P bass?) Also maybe too much compression on the guitar

Edited by Hobbayne

I quite like the bass sound actually, I find it raw, individual and I find it's nakedness quite refreshing. Most bands just record the bass part and turn it into a subby mush.

Sounds like the drums and the bass are playing different songs though. I feel that that either the drums or the bass needs to be a lot straighter to allow more space for the other.

Truckstop

Thanks for the constructive criticism everyone. I don't claim to be very good at playing bass but do enjoy it. The bass in question is a G&L l2000 tribute recorded from the DI of my Genz Benz Streamliner. Bridge pickup. I will have a word with the band member with Qbass and see what he can do with the EQ. I had read about the Streamliker being too bass heavy in the mix and becoming too muddy, so I had my guitar treble up to try and compensate

As for the "ahem" bass solo on the Middle, it wasn't supposed to really stand out as a solo, I was just playing! I ain't really good enough to warrant a bass solo!

Thanks folks.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1418170212' post='2627721']

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

We did struggle with the snare sound. Had to re record the drums as we were even less happy the first time. Reverb doesn't come close.

I get your point about filling out the low end. I tried sticking to frets 1 to 5 but I got distracted by all the other ones that the manufacturer built into my instrument.

Hmmmm, as a demo is it supposed to be played to anyone outside the band?

Serious question.

The least of your problems is the bass fret noise! And one that can be fixed really easily with eq and or frequency dependant compression.

That's a [i]terrible[/i] snare sound, and I cant really hear anything much on the kick. The drumming is pretty poor timing-wise (hihats are shocking in a few places), enough to need some careful editing to sort out.

Some of the guitar needs replaying, its not very in time

Is that distorted guitar DI'ed? because its a nasty fizzy sound if it isnt.

The vocals are all over the place level-wise, I suspect they are the redeeming feature of the track as well which makes the poor mix even more of a shame.

Thats a really honest (and harsh sounding) critique of the recording, sorry, really, I think you could maybe fix some of this with mixing, the snare could be replaced easily for instance, the fizzy guitar could be re-amped, the bass is a doddle to fix, the drumming needs careful editing, the vocals need work in terms of getting them to 'sit' in the mix.

Keep working on it, and listen hardfer to your tracking, its [i]all[/i] about getting gfreat sounds down to 'tape' first.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1418218526' post='2628061']
You *did* state that it's a demo though. Unless you want to use it to publicise your band, instead of just help folks remember the arrangement, then I wouldn't worry about it.
[/quote]

Our music is really for our pleasure. I don't think we are in the game to make it big. Quite happy making music and having fun. If others like it then that is a bonus! It has been a great bit of learning for me, having never played in a band before. I just want it to be as good as I can get it. Mind you, that'd take a heap more practice than I legitimately have time for!

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1418248352' post='2628528']
I really liked it. The bass for me did not stand out in any negative way. In fact I would say it contrasted and complimented the song perfectly. The mix is a bit demoish but I can never tell if that's soundcloud compressing the crap out of it or what. Sounds good to me.
[/quote]

Yeh, positivity. If basschat had an "add friend" button I would add yours. Thanks v much. Though, "perfectly" is a bit strong, I am no John Paul Jones.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1418249351' post='2628541']

Yeh, positivity. If basschat had an "add friend" button I would add yours. Thanks v much. Though, "perfectly" is a bit strong, I am no John Paul Jones.
[/quote]
There is a friend button. I've added you as a friend. Click on my avatar and you will find the option to add me as a friend. 👬

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1418257318' post='2628632']
If I could turn two knobs on this mix I would make the bass drum as loud as the snare drum; then raise the bass guitar to exactly the same level. Even-Steven is my motto. The top drums sound fine.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I will pass it on to the mixmaster. Our drummer is poorly at the moment so wasn't able to make the mixing session. We have another planned for when his health returns.

Personally, as someone who usually likes keeping things very simple, I think your bass line works well with fits the song brilliantly, but yes, the eq needs some more work. I really liked the track, cracking little song, but have to agree, the drums need a fair bit of tidying up, both timing, and again, eq. I know you said the recording is for your own pleasure, but with a little time and more effort it will be something you can really shout about!

In answer to the question, no I don`t think the bass needs re-recording. And aside from the "solo" I don`t notice the fret buzz. So a bit of re-eq/compression etc and I`d leave it there. For the rest of the song, well that depends on what you as a band want, I don`t know so can`t really offer any advice there.

bass is fine dont worry about it, i like it, enjoy and move on, ,, unless you are trying to sound like someone .

i do have a prob with the snare tho, did you want it sounding like the snare on the bottom was turned off ??
if not then my bit of advice is .. whenever you mic up the snare always mic the top and the bottom,
at least you can mix in the amount of attack you need.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Funkgod. I will pass that advice on next time we record. Anyway, it's taken us longer than we would have liked, due robust all being part time hobbyists, health issues in the band, etc... but we did some mastering today and came up with this lot. Mostly originals, 2 covers.

www.soundcloud.com/sulasula-1

Have a listen and hope you enjoy.