Why become a member? ×

Moffat Bass Bash 8

skelf

So just to recap the prize draw.

25% discount voucher on ACG Custom Series Bass.
East Tone UK 2 band pre-amp.
3 Hipshot bridges.
4 Hipshot Detuners
Dunlop goodies.
SIT strings and Tee Shirts.
Basschat Polo Shirts.
iBass Magazine subscriptions.
Goodies from Armstrong Pickups.
Bass Guitar Magazine should be on board as well.

On top of all that we have Steve Lawson playing set and will be about to have a chat all weekend.
Mountains of gear to try out in a relaxed atmosphere.

Not bad for a tenner Sunday ticket.

Not bad for a tenner.

My thanks to Aaron Armstrong for a very generous contribution to the 10th Anniversary prize draw.

Set of Custom 5 string pickups.
Armstrong Distortion pedal.
Tee Shirts and Hats.

[IMG]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8603/16808629932_0f8be4e7b1_b.jpg[/IMG]

Excellent day today, first time I've been to one of these bashes, but I'll definitely be back and I'll definitely be staying over to enjoy the curry and beer festivities!!

Managed to stay strong today and didn't end up buying neepheid's Gibson he's got up for sale just now...tempted as I was...!!

Edited by lou24d53

Really enjoyable day. Didn't seem like two hours that Steve Lawson was on for. I nearly half inched the ACG Moth that was lying around. Rather taken by that, I was. Thanks to Alan for organising everything, and anyone else who was involved.

Great afternoon. Many thanks for the Graft Alan (see what I did there ACG lovers). Also to Steve Lawson for an inspirational afternoon. I have now decided that I'm going to have to practice a lot more or take up knitting :(

Thoroughly enjoyed the day. Steve Lawson was an excellent choice. Fantastic player and a genuinely nice guy to meet. Quite a distinguished past as well. I'm uploading a VID at moment to Youtube and will copy over to BC once loaded. HD and seems to be taking ages for some reason. 4 hrs ??
Great day out and great raffle prizes too.
Many thanks to Alan and Dave for all the effort.
Looking forward to next year.
Hope the jam session is revived for next year. Kinda missed that bit.
Dave

What a week.

Building basses for me is solitary work and I focus on it very much as a business.
This comes from my previous business where the sole aim was to make it efficient and profitable. However occasionally I am reminded that my current job is not just about the money which I know but need to have it pointed out or I tend to forget. This week has brought that front and centre and I have many people to thank.

London Bass Guitar Show​ where I get to meet many friends and make a few new ones. This is also the venue where I get to catch up with Sheldon Dingwall​. Normally we get a chance to talk a bit of shop and the state of the bass world. However this year it was extremely brief. We where both talking to a guy who was just starting up building instruments and I mentioned not to give up the day job and not to expect to make any money from it. But not Sheldon he pointed out that building instruments had more than one currency, money and the other that feeds your soul. That stuck with me all week as it unfolded.

Moffat Bass Bash.
Skip a week and I finally get to meet Steve Lawson​ for longer than 5 mins at the London Show. By chance I got to sit at the table with Steve at the curry, honest I was not stalking you, and what followed was one of the most enjoyable 4 way conversations I have had in a while. New ideas to consider ,old ideas needing re-thought, some discarded completely. Here is a man so completely in love with what he does that he cannot get his ideas out fast enough and is the master of the tangental conversation. Witty, self deprecating, astonishing musician and excellent company hard not be swept up in his enthusiasm. But again it was the discussion on the abstract value of art that reinforced exactly what Sheldon had said the week before.

The company.

London show John East​ Colin Cunningham​ Steve Partlett.
A great deal of fun was had which is one of the main reasons for doing the show and if that was not present I don't think I would go. This I have always known but not really accepted. So again it is not always about the money. On top of that I got to catch up with numerous customers that I now consider friends. These are friends I would never have met if I had not built basses more currency to be banked.

The same applies to the Bass Bash which I would never have done and there would be a group of people I would never have met and my life would have been poorer for it.

So to summarise I am a better person through the people I have met because I build basses. I never expected this when I started to build and at the ACG 10th anniversary I am beginning to realise how important it is, I have never been quick on the uptake. My thanks to many, to many to name but you know who you are and if you don't that would be my fault and I will try to correct that.

Alan,
this is the only bass show i've attended because its more personal, maybe because its a smaller more dedicated audience that attends. Without your efforts i would have missed so much like Steve Lawson, Steve Williams and of course the one thing i missed this year the Jam session. All in all its a really great, worthwhile cheap day out.
If i can help in any way next year i'd be honoured to do it.
I do of course need to try one of your basses first LOL
Many thanks once again.
Dave