Why become a member? ×

Heads with built-in fuzz/distortion/drive/horrible

Guest BeardyBob

Guest BeardyBob

Chaps! I really fancy making a 'dirty' dual rig. Can anybody recommend some (probably old, probably SS) heads with built-in nasties? Ideally want to avoid SVT/digital/pedals.

Guest BeardyBob

cheers beer & victor, all suggestions welcomed - few problems finding them at all, on a budget or without trying first!

I looked at a fender rumble a few weeks back - pretty impressive for the money to be fair & combos are stupidly light.

I've been spying for an old Peavey for some time - more so the early 400 series - but a little worried they wouldn't cut it unless running 2ohm cabs. same with the centuries really, anyone got experience of these? or with the MkIII onwards with the pre-gain cranked?

The peavey 400 mark III is very loud and will strip the paint off the back wall at 4 ohm with the right speakers. I do use one of the channels for distorted and overdriven sounds, and it's actually pretty good to my ears. You can use both channels at the same time, and keep one distorted and one clean for definition.

You can also use the amp as a battering ram, or as a device to locally bend space and time, given the weight :)

I've also used an equally old HH VS bassamp for the same purpose. With the MOSFET "valve simulation" circuit engaged and the gain over the red line it produces a very interesting and aggressive distorted sound, with plenty of attack. And it glows green :) (it is not quite as loud as the peavey, but weighs a fraction of it)

I've been using my HH VS 2 x 12" guitar combo for bass and it does sound lovely. I've been using a pedal for dirt, but maybe I'll try driving it a bit more

The best built-in-dirt I ever played was a fairly modern marshal MB 2 x 10" combo. It has two channels which you could blend, and I used this to create a great dirty sound. I've never heard anyone say a nice word about these amps, and it did die fairly quickly, but it was a monster sound!