Why become a member? ×

Precision PU resistance values

Oopsdabassist

Guys

The P pickup on my steampunk build Squier sounds decidedly weak on the D string, I checked pickup height against the other strings to make sure they are all the same,so not quite sure what the problem is. In my parts box I have 2 other sets of P pickups, the resistance values being 5.7k and 4.7k, doing a quick search on the ole web and everything I can find quotes about 10.5k as standard. So what does this say about these pickups in my box? keep it clean please!!

The pickups in situ do actually read about 10.4k, definitely confused now!

In the grand scheme of things the DC resistance value of one pickup against the next is not indicative of how it sounds or it's apparent volume output. There are so many factors involved in pickup design and DC resistance frankly is of little use. It makes me chuckle when this value is used to rate a pickup - it's as useful as rating speakers in the same way :)

Trust your ears - if it sounds good, it is good :)

The advantage of the split P pickup is you can angle each half and vary the individual string to pole heights. Unless the difference is huge you might be able to get a better balance by adjusting the mounting screws so that the D has the smallest gap. Usually you have a larger gap for the E and the smallest for the G but maybe in your case you need the D closest. Are the strings new? You might have a bad D string. I'd also make sure the D isn't choking out on any frets.