Why become a member? ×

NBD ( Not Peavey )

kodiakblair

Something a wee bit out of character for me here.

I saw this Gordy Blueshift II yesterday and the name rang a bell so checked here for some info but no replies
as yet. From what I gathered it was made outside Manchester by the Gordon side of Gordon Smith possibly
by an apprentice called Andy.

[attachment=178475:Gordy Blueshift (5).jpg]

Serial number is 00056 which I take means it's the 56th build but I'm guessing here. Reckon it's about 9lbs
and it's passive. Shape reminds me a bit of a Westone Spectrum, Schaller bridge,machineheads and strap
locks are fitted and I think the pickups are G/S own make,you adjust the heights from the back.

[attachment=178473:Gordy Blueshift (9).jpg]

So how does it play and sound ? Surprisingly well, action was low,no fret buzz or crackily pots. Fair bit of buckle rash
on the back and dinks as should be expected for a bass that must be close on 30 years old. Gloss finish on the neck
and a nice profile. I've only had about 45 minutes playing so far but I like how it sounds but I've not adjusted to the
shape yet, that'll come though.

I really didn't need another bass but you know what it's good to have something British for a change,I'd not seen one
before and it's a decent no-frills bass. Asking price was £170 but they took £140.The fact that it's handmade is a bonus too.

So aye it's been a good start to the day.

If you squint you might make out " Made in Great Britain "

[attachment=178474:Gordy Blueshift (3).jpg]

£140!!!!!!!!!
Bargain!!!

Gordy made high quality instuments, that sold for a LOT of money
back in the day.

A very lucky scoop you have there sir.

Nice one.

My Gordy Headless.
[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/gordy-headless-bass.html"]http://flatericbassa...dless-bass.html[/url]

Cheers. :)

Edited by FlatEric

Cheers Flat Eric

Can't find much info on it. Would I be in the park thinking 84/85 and around £300.

Saw there was a Deluxe Blueshift sold for £700 last month on Gumtree but what the difference is I've no idea.

That headless of yours is lovely and very popular. Every Google search I've done on Gordy your bass turns up in the images :)

Had more time with it this morning and yeah it's a damn fine bass guitar.

Could be a fitting end to a year of many purchases.

Cheers

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1418560410' post='2631131']
Whip off the neck & you'll probably find a date and Andrew Evans' signature, if he did work on it.

I've got this, and it's pretty amazing:

Could do with a stronger back, though...

Jon.
[/quote]

OOOOoooooooooo Jon, I saw this when it first came up - now I see a good shot of of it WOW! :gas: :gas: :gas:
[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1418562346' post='2631156']

This was mine until GAS struck
[/quote]

What do you mean. . . . . until. . . . . where is it now??

:)

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1418579888' post='2631369']
OOOOoooooooooo Jon, I saw this when it first came up - now I see a good shot of of it WOW! :gas: :gas: :gas:
[/quote]

Hopefully you'll understand me swapping my (very nice but almost as heavy) T-40 for this!

As far as I know, the twin-neck's unique, it was built in 1985 as a custom order for a Manc session player called Pete Glennon. It's in very good condition overall, in fact necks & hardware are almost like new. The fretless neck is simply the sweetest I've laid hands on and the whole thing sounds superb - the pickups & switching make it very versatile.

The body has been refinished - neck pocket & routing indicate it was originally black - and unfortunately the refin's a little bit amateurish when you look closely. Looks like someone tried mixing some red stain with Ronseal & brush-coated it. I gave the whole body a thorough T-cutting, which evened the surface a bit & gave it some gloss, but it would benefit from a pro (or competent amateur!) job at some point.

No idea if I'll ever use it in anger - my band does have a few multi-part prog epics which it would lend itself to, just don't know if I can stand the pain!

J.