Why become a member? ×

NBD-ish fenderbird

lel

I've been building this for a little while and today i finally got it wired up and playable. It's a Goth Thunderbird body and a Squier Affinity P neck which has surprisingly very good fretwork thankfully! I got rid of the 3 point bridge and screwed a fender bridge in place, this was mainly to solve the string spacing and action issues i was having. The paint is Citroen Alpine White with lots of lacquer.

I plays wonderful, the action is nice and low and it growls, all it needs to finish it off is a set of knobs and a Fenderbird logo making.

thanks! This is the first time i've done any significant work to a bass and i'm pleased with it.

I think i need some lighter tuners as its still neck heavy, i'd like to put the Gotoh style Thunderbird tuners on but they're a totally different size unfortunately.

the neck height is perfect, with the standard 3 point bridge it required a small shim but with the fender bridge you can leave the shim out. The width needed to be widened by a few MM and the neck had to go roughly 10mm deeper into the body to get the scale right.

10 minutes with a tape measure and router and the neck fits on lovely.

[quote name='lel' timestamp='1418557828' post='2631106']

the neck height is perfect, with the standard 3 point bridge it required a small shim but with the fender bridge you can leave the shim out. The width needed to be widened by a few MM and the neck had to go roughly 10mm deeper into the body to get the scale right.

10 minutes with a tape measure and router and the neck fits on lovely.
[/quote]Great info - thanks! :D