Why become a member? ×

If an amp lacks phones socket, what options do you have?

Samfordia

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1418637023' post='2631809']
What sounds good at home often doesn't work effectively in a band situation, and what works well with a band isn't necessarily going to sound great in isolation, also worth noting that that the sound you get will change as you crank the volume up due to the limitations of the amp/cab and the non-linear way that the human ear perceives volume at different frequencies - really you need to tweak your equipment at rehearsal where it is running at band volume and you can make adjustments so it fits within the overall mix properly.

Using the headphone socket on an amp is also not going to give an accurate idea of the end result, because you will be bypassing the speaker cab, which will have a large influence on the sound when you have the amp cranked.
[/quote]

This ^

There's no way you can audition your live sound through headphones because the speaker in the combo will colour the final sound. Volume does make a difference too; as an example, I've read that the TC Electronic combos only really start to sound their best when you've got the volume cranked quite high. You'll probably also find it necessary to tweak the EQ on the combo depending on what kind of room you're in. The headphone option allows you to hear yourself playing without annoying the neighbours and I'd say also helps you get to grips with any effects you might be trying out but as already mentioned what works well in isolation can suffer in a band live mix and vice versa.

Okay, so that makes a lot of sense to me now. So really this amp won't be of too much use to me at home but it will come into it's own when I need to play with others. If you can't replicate your live sound through headphones and may also need an amp to be used at a high volume to get the best out of it then I clearly need either a practice amp or a Vox amplug. Having said that, I can get my hands on a Zoom B1, which will also allow me to use my pedals.

Also, I assume it's normal for a combo like this to sound like an old PC when it's running? I was surprised when I first switched it on and expected it to stop after a warming up period but it never did.

[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1418662544' post='2632091']
Okay, so that makes a lot of sense to me now. So really this amp won't be of too much use to me at home but it will come into it's own when I need to play with others. If you can't replicate your live sound through headphones and may also need an amp to be used at a high volume to get the best out of it then I clearly need either a practice amp or a Vox amplug. Having said that, I can get my hands on a Zoom B1, which will also allow me to use my pedals.

Also, I assume it's normal for a combo like this to sound like an old PC when it's running? I was surprised when I first switched it on and expected it to stop after a warming up period but it never did.
[/quote]

Sounds like an old and dirty fan.

You could try cleaning it, or working out what fan you need to replace it with.

[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1418615363' post='2631725']
What I have is a combo. If it had a phones socket then I'd have no problem. I would like to actually use the amp and familiarise myself with all it can do and the sound I can get from it. At the same time I would like to use my pedals.

It's highly possible I'm being a tad thick, though.

(The amp does have the ability to connect a phone etc, so that's all okay)
[/quote]

It would be wonderful if one could judge "real life" sound from using the headphone output only. UNfortunately, the final result depends too much of your speakers, the room you're in, the location/position of speakers within the room, the volume (you cannot play something at low volume, decide you like the tone, and just turn up and expect to sound the same only louder)... and also whatever other instruments are making noise around you, of course.

It's useful, as it allows you to play quietly, but that's all.

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1418630474' post='2631752']
I have an Ashdown Electric Blue combo and it has the same limitation (no headphone).[b] If I remember correctly the manual said you could disconnect the cable that plugs the amp into the cab at the back and plug your headphones in there - with a risk of blowing them up[/b] :-D As Grangur said that takes the cab out of the sound chain.
Get the manual from the Ashdown website and see what they suggest for your model.
[/quote]

You sure it said that??? :blink:

The output of an amplifier that will drive a loudspeaker is going to be a LOT higher than what the headphones are designed to take. Sounds like a very efficient way of destroying headphones!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1418554477' post='2631061']
This question (or similar) often crops up and always baffles me - am I the only one who never plugs in at home? I can happily play along to CDs or MP3s either through quiet speakers or in one ear on headphones.
[/quote]

Playing plugged and unplugged are two entirely different worlds.

Do you remember when you were used to playing acoustic guitar, and plugged into an electric guitar for the first time? All the unwanted noises that you needed to mute on the electric instrument, what a racket!
It's just very different.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1418671675' post='2632228']

You sure it said that??? :blink:

The output of an amplifier that will drive a loudspeaker is going to be a LOT higher than what the headphones are designed to take. Sounds like a very efficient way of destroying headphones!
[/quote]
Hmm. I checked. So the manual doesn't say that but the FAQ on the Ashdown site does, that's where I must have read it (reproduced here, at the end):
How can I use headphones on an Ashdown ABM or MAG?

The only way is to buy a small battery powered headphone amplifier and plug it into the TUNER OUT with the amp MUTED, or unplug the speakers and use it plugged into the LINE OUT. Other than this if you have a walkman that has a record facility you could use this as a headphone amp.The amp will come to no harm with the speakers unplugged. It is possible to plug headphones into the speaker output but you risk the possibility of blowing up the headphones if you turn the amp up too far

I have never been tempted to try!

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1418677142' post='2632306']
Hmm. I checked. So the manual doesn't say that but the FAQ on the Ashdown site does, that's where I must have read it (reproduced here, at the end):
How can I use headphones on an Ashdown ABM or MAG?

The only way is to buy a small battery powered headphone amplifier and plug it into the TUNER OUT with the amp MUTED, or unplug the speakers and use it plugged into the LINE OUT. Other than this if you have a walkman that has a record facility you could use this as a headphone amp.The amp will come to no harm with the speakers unplugged. It is possible to plug headphones into the speaker output but you risk the possibility of blowing up the headphones if you turn the amp up too far

I have never been tempted to try!
[/quote]

Using the tuner/line out the way they say is fine, but I'd never plug into the speaker output. Sure, with the volume at zero it'll be ok, so there must be a range that is ok... but I suspect the range is not too big. I'm surprised they even suggest it. I have to say I'm not an expert! But I seem to recall that headphones would typically take <5V (and often a lot less) and the speaker output will run into double digits... I would not risk it!

Thanks for finding that FAQ! :)

Tuner with headphone socket & aux input (e.g. Boss TU88) works for me.
I use a pedalboard to get the tone I want, using the amp just for gain (not tone). Really easy to get my tone and be where I want in the mix, whatever amp I'm given or wherever I am (e.g. headphone practice at home). Just my story...

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1418554477' post='2631061']
This question (or similar) often crops up and always baffles me - am I the only one who never plugs in at home? I can happily play along to CDs or MP3s either through quiet speakers or in one ear on headphones.
[/quote]
I never do either. Use a Tascam bass trainer and good cans (Sennheiser).
Edit: the TU88 looks good too!

Edited by Telebass