Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass With Flats

spongebob

I'm always reading about a P with flats being 'the' sound....and, now doing it myself, can agree that there is something about it.

I never read the same level of praise for a Jazz with flats. Looked on YouTube and it sounds pretty good to my ears!

Don't know why the J and flats isn't a more widely used combo, after all when it was designed that's all there was!

Can't think of many recorded examples of the sound either, unlike it's P counterpart.

When I grab my next Jazz, I'll be sticking some flats on for sure. Maybe it's just me!

• 1 year later...

I have a P with flats and a J with rounds. Been gassing for a while for another P to put rounds on, but also been gassing for a Squier VM Jazz (in natural, blocks and bound). Had absolutely no way to try and justify a second J, even to myself, and then you come along and resurrect this thread that I've not seen before...

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1460922050' post='3029846']
I have a P with flats and a J with rounds. Been gassing for a while for another P to put rounds on, but also been gassing for a Squier VM Jazz (in natural, blocks and bound). Had absolutely no way to try and justify a second J, even to myself, and then you come along and resurrect this thread that I've not seen before...
[/quote]

Sorry! Its a natural,blocks and bound one too. I cant put it down!

Flats forever !

The association of certain strings for certain basses is a funny thing....
I had for a long time just gone with the autonomous format of flats on me jazz and rounds on me music man, i guess even more to the point, flats on me passive bass and rounds on me active....

What a silly boy i had been.
Id just always, for no good reason, used rounds on my music man sterling or stingrays, just did ???
I had flats on my passive jazz and loved them but one day the penny dropped, what if i put flats on my sterling ?
Oh my god, i will never go back.

I know many if the greats used stingrays with flats on but the yjought just never crossed my mind because id been doing it a certain way fir so long.

My sterling with flats is just the best playing bass ive ever owned. Never shall we be parted !!!

Never tried tapes though? :)

Edited by Wonky2

just my OP but a Jazz bass especially a 70's jazz doesn't sound like a 70's jazz without steel round wounds . but then again I'm not a fan of the sound of flats on a bass in any music.dont like DB either I do prefer the highs and low mid bass punch and crispness to a bass tone. Flats just sound dull to me.but WTF do i know.

Edited by bubinga5

I do like the growl and harmonic shenanigans of rounds on a Jazz, or any twin-pickup bass really, but the best live sound I ever got was with an active Jazz and Fender 9050ML flats.

My current Jazz GAS involves a Jazz body, a P neck and La Bella 760FS flats. And possibly a good Pre of some sort.