Why become a member? ×

EBS MultiComp problems

peteb

I have recently changed compressors on my pedalboard, swapping a new MXR for my old EBS. The idea was to keep the EBS for gigs where I don’t need the full board and run it linked to a tuner pedal. However, the EBS seems to be developing problems and I wonder if anyone here can help with a diagnosis?

The EBS has lived happily on my pedalboard with no problems for 3 or 4 years, but since I am trying to power it with a battery it seems that it doesn’t want to work anymore. Firstly I used it at a rehearsal where it would not work but was ok when I disengaged the compression (i.e. in bypass mode). Then I tried it at home with a new battery and having applied a liberal splashing of switchcleaner to the jack sockets, pots and circuit board. I tried it with a different connector and a patch lead and it seemed to be working ok in the house but at the gig last night it would not work at all, either with the compression switched in or bypassed (or with a variety of connectors and patch leads).

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I’m guessing that it may be due to it being powered by a battery rather than the mains, simply because it worked ok on the board but have no other thoughts. If it makes any difference I am running it in multiband mode.

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1418581027' post='2631388']
Have you tried it with a power supply yet to see if that is the issue?
[/quote]
I do need to check this out, but I am worried that it did work for a short while with a battery (at home) but didn't function at all on the gig!

Does it work with a power supply?

I have the EBS (True Bypass model) but I have never powered via battery.

Bongo from the Ovnilab website does mention in his review of the older models that they tend to go a bit dodgy over time and tend to start failing.

Guest FretNoMore

I have the same problem with two EBS pedals. If it works with external power but not with battery then I believe the 9V power jack is the problem. It is supposed to engage the battery when you unplug the external power but it doesn't. I talked to EBS about it and they sent me some replacement jacks for free but I haven't gotten around to replacing them, the disassembly and soldering job seems a little tricky.

Edited by FretNoMore

Bit OT, but
I did a stupid thing with mine at a gig at the weekend, accidently put an 18v supply through it, I have 9 and 18 on my psu and in the dark didn't check properly. It's now ferked and I'm now gutted as that was my always on pedal.. Lesson learnt from me I have now colour coded the power tips. (bit late I know)

Edited by Highfox

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not surprised that the wire sheared. I used to use the multicomp with a battery before seeing the light and getting a pedaltrain. The battery compartment is REALLY tight and there wasn't much spare wire to get access the terminals. Changing batteries was always a nervy time.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1422952805' post='2678663']
I'm not surprised that the wire sheared. I used to use the multicomp with a battery before seeing the light and getting a pedaltrain. The battery compartment is REALLY tight and there wasn't much spare wire to get access the terminals. Changing batteries was always a nervy time.
[/quote]
Yes, it is a bit of a design fault!

Unfortunately, I was a bit previous in thinking that all was well with the pedal - one fault has been fixed but it is still not working! I will have to take it to an electronics guy when I get the chance / have a few quid spare!

• 7 years later...