Why become a member? ×

Eberhard Weber

Annoying Twit

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418581489' post='2631402']
Listened to him a lot back in the day. In fact there was a period of about six months where I wouldn't even consider listening to anything at all unless it was on ECM records. :rolleyes: Eb is a class act and no mistake.
[/quote]
Lol sounds like me...and my ECM ...FLAC files of course.

Listened to him a lot back in the day. In fact there was a period of about six months where I wouldn't even consider listening to anything at all unless it was on ECM records.
[/quote]
What year was that? I have bought a lot of ECM records (from ARC in the early 70s onwards) but can't imagine just listening to them.

Edited by BetaFunk

Listened to him a lot back in the day. In fact there was a period of about six months where I wouldn't even consider listening to anything at all unless it was on ECM records. :rolleyes: Eb is a class act and no mistake.
[/quote]
I know EXACTLY what you mean, ECM had a beautifully recorded, spacious sound that was very compelling. I could have happily listened to no other label back then, around '79

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418597262' post='2631648']
What year was that? I have bought a lot of ECM records (from ARC in the early 70s onwards) but can't imagine just listening to them.
[/quote]
[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1418600391' post='2631682']
I know EXACTLY what you mean, ECM had a beautifully recorded, spacious sound that was very compelling. I could have happily listened to no other label back then, around '79
[/quote]

Yes, 1979. This was a time when large quantities of music-enhancing drugs were consumed which may have had something to do with it.

Edited by discreet

ECM were good at promoting artists back then as well. I would imagine that artists on ECM reached a wider audience that they probably would through smaller labels.

I've just been thinking of some of the leaders/groups i've seen live when they were on ECM at the time of the concert:
Jan Garbarek, Dave Holland, Terje Rypdal, Keith Jarrett, Ralph Towner, Glen Moore, Eberhard Weber, John Abercrombie, Steve Swallow, Bill Connors, Arild Andersen, Colin Walcott, Kenny Wheeler, Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, John Taylor, Paul Motian, Gary Peacock, Don Cherry, Nana Vasconcelos, Mick Goodrick, Miroslav Vitous, Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell, Egberto Gismonti, Chick Corea, Shankar, Lester Bowie, James Newton, Oregon, David Torn, Marc Johnson.

I've lost touch with what ECM do now but that was an impressive roster back then.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418606958' post='2631715']
ECM were good at promoting artists back then as well. I would imagine that artists on ECM reached a wider audience that they probably would through smaller labels.

I've just been thinking of some of the leaders/groups i've seen live when they were on ECM at the time of the concert:
Jan Garbarek, Dave Holland, Terje Rypdal, Keith Jarrett, Ralph Towner, Glen Moore, Eberhard Weber, John Abercrombie, Steve Swallow, Bill Connors, Arild Andersen, Colin Walcott, Kenny Wheeler, Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, John Taylor, Paul Motian, Gary Peacock, Don Cherry, Nana Vasconcelos, Mick Goodrick, Miroslav Vitous, Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell, Egberto Gismonti, Chick Corea, Shankar, Lester Bowie, James Newton, Oregon, David Torn, Marc Johnson.

I've lost touch with what ECM do now but that was an impressive roster back then.
[/quote]

Yep, I saw most of those guys at one time or another in the 70s or early 80s. ECM promoted a few all star tours in the US and the one I saw had both Eberhard and Steve Swallow in Gary Burton's band, along with Metheny, Goodrick and Bob Moses. Always really loved Eberhard's work on Metheny's [i]Watercolors[/i]. EW has worked with Kate Bush too, and you can hear him play "real upright" with Joe Pass on [i]Intercontinental[/i].

Edited by Passinwind

EW had a stroke a few years ago (2010?) and I heard that he no longer plays (that rumour may be out if date). ECM released a recent album where someone (not sure who) had orchestrated some of his historic solo bass work. I have to say that I never really liked his work and found it a bit 'noodly'. His sound doesn't work for me either and I always thought that he sounded like a poor fretless player rather than a decent upright. I have a lot of stuff with him on, including some of his own stuff, but never reach for it when I want to listen to something. I feel he doesn't inspire me but is not quite in the league of a deal breaker (there are a tiny number of musicians who, if they appear on a recording, I will not buy it).

That ECM period people are referring to had some real diamonds in there but there were plenty of 'fillers' also. I have an emusic account and can download ECM albums at 42p a track (regardless of length - some cds are 84p) so have loads of stuff from all sorts of ECM artists but some of it is just bland and meanders pointlessly. Weber's work is one of those I approach with caution!!

I liked Eberhard Weber in his own groups but often found him a bit overpowering as a side man. His tone/sound is so distinctive that i just listen to him and no one else. The early Pat Metheny and Gary Burton albums on ECM are examples of that.

Some artists were made for that ECM sound in those early days (Paul Motian Trio, Steve Kuhn, Keith Jarrett, Steve Tibbetts, Terje Rypdal) and Eicher and Kongshaug got the best out of them but with a lot of others that corporate sound didn't work for me. the label was often criticised at the time for being sterile and a bit too clean sounding for jazz and nearly all of the albums got 3 stars or average reviews at the time. Even the Pat Metheny albums were thought of as simply 'nice' although Metheny suffered in those days for not really being in either the Jazz or Rock camp as far as journalists were concerned.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1418606958' post='2631715']

[/quote]

Agree the main ECM goodwill and spaciousness. Let's not forget the best ECM IMHO - 'Bright Size Life'. And the worst!!!! 'The Epidemics' anyone???? L Shankar, Steve Vai and Percy Jones... should be great right? Oh man. Played it once after I bought it 25 years ago and ears still not recovered.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1418639091' post='2631831']
sounded like a poor fretless player
[/quote]

Don't listen to any Steve Bailey whatever you do then. :gas:

Love Eberhard Weber, seen him a good few times with Jan Garbarek and his own band Colors back in the 80's.
Funnily enough too ...... i was having a nostalgic listen to some of my old stuff the other day and happened across
Little Movements which is my absolute favourite, couldn't recommend this enough. Oh and Colours of Chloe is another.
Ian

Edited by scojack