Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Four Moses headless 4 string necks (for Steinberger basses)
£480

I ordered these a number of years ago and never got round to using them so they're up for grabs to anyone who fancies turning them into a project bass. Given these are made to Steinbergers specification, they're resin cast which is a different form of manufacture to companies like Status and Modulus. They offer necks that are made from a process of overlaying sheets of graphite fibre on top of each other.

I also contacted Steinberger to check whether these were Steinberger made, and they said they couldn't find any reason to believe they were. So luthiers out there are free to use them in their own instruments. The Steinberger necks are fantastic and designed to sound full and warm with all the evenness in string response and articulation that makes graphite necks so great. I've had a Moses jazz neck in the past which was a bit whippy but these Steinberger specification necks are rock solid in construction.

At a glance:
24 fret, 34" scale
Zero fret and headpiece included
Brass inserts (with an imperial thread).
Truss rod fitted and accessed from behind the head piece.
Weight - won't register on my bathroom scales but maybe 1.5-2 kg?

A fifth neck is available as well but it's with a well known luthier at the moment. I can make that one available if there's interest but it would need to be collected from the Peak District.

Happy to sell either as a job lot or separately for £120 excl shipping.

[attachment=178572:DSC_0051.JPG] [attachment=178573:DSC_0011.JPG]

[attachment=178574:DSC_0012.JPG] [attachment=178575:DSC_0013.JPG]

[attachment=178576:DSC_0015.JPG]

Science bit:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No trades. I really need the cash for a non bass related purchase.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]First person with the money gets the item. A 10% deposit to secure these is absolutely OK if you need to raise funds to purchase so long as the balance is paid within 30 days. Otherwise you risk losing the deposit.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If it/they doesn't sell on here within 4 or so weeks, they'll be sold on through Gumtree or Ebay. So the cost of fees will be added to the cost of the bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would prefer collection from SE London although I can deliver within the M25/Kent area for the cost of zipcar hire (£8.50/hour subject to availability).[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Or if you work/visit London, I can meet you at a train station at the weekend, or if you are visiting the City of London, I can meet anywhere between Farringdon and Liverpool Street during the week.[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Postage is possible but I'd need to get the neck(s) weighed.[/font][/color]

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1418647200' post='2631934']
So glad these are not 5ers otherwise I would have yet another project that I will never get round to!
[/quote]
I have fivers...but they're with me for the time being. ;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1418646538' post='2631927']
I was thinking of getting a fretless neck for my Berger bass. Do you just take off the neck you have, and replace it with the other? I know it sounds like a dumb question .
Anyway have a hamburger bump;)
[/quote]
Cheers! The degree to which one could retrofit will depend on which Steinberger bass you're talking about. The hole pattern on these necks seems to fit those on the Steinberger XQ basses but not the earlier Newburgh or other MusicYo instruments. No replacement headless graphite necks will fit Spirit instruments.

These necks don't share the drill hole patterns of Newburgh or other MusicYo instruments so the current holes will need inserts drilling out and plugged. New holes will need drilling and you can either tap your own inserts or purchase them through Bernd at [url="http://www.headless-europe.eu/Steinieland/Steinieland.html"]Headless Europe[/url].

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='desmondpot' timestamp='1432812219' post='2785186']
[url="https://www.facebook.com/shukerbassguitars"]https://www.facebook...ukerbassguitars[/url]

Scroll down to the white headless 4 and you'll see where my Moses neck ended up. Weighs about 7lbs. Punchy as hell and plays easy.
[/quote]

That's very nice indeed, just needs another string ;)

[quote name='desmondpot' timestamp='1432812219' post='2785186']
[url="https://www.facebook.com/shukerbassguitars"]https://www.facebook...ukerbassguitars[/url]

Scroll down to the white headless 4 and you'll see where my Moses neck ended up. Weighs about 7lbs. Punchy as hell and plays easy.
[/quote]
It looks almost exactly how I imagined it might look. Nice clean lines too.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418653201' post='2631990']

I have fivers...but they're with me for the time being. ;)

Cheers! The degree to which one could retrofit will depend on which Steinberger bass you're talking about. The hole pattern on these necks seems to fit those on the Steinberger XQ basses but not the earlier Newburgh or other MusicYo instruments. No replacement headless graphite necks will fit Spirit instruments.

These necks don't share the drill hole patterns of Newburgh or other MusicYo instruments so the current holes will need inserts drilling out and plugged. New holes will need drilling and you can either tap your own inserts or purchase them through Bernd at [url="http://www.headless-europe.eu/Steinieland/Steinieland.html"]Headless Europe[/url].
[/quote]

Thanks for that . My steiney has 5 holes also. Unfortunately mine is an Xm and not xq, so will not fit .
Glwts tho' ;)