Why become a member? ×

Cloth Wiring

sblueplanet

Cloth wiring itself is generally easier to use than conventional PVC insulated wire, but I would hesitate to recommend that you try soldering any type of wire to pickups unless you have experience of doing so, or are willing to take the risk. The pickup winding wire is very fine and it is easy to break it where the joint to the 'loom' wiring is made.

If it's just for cosmetic reasons - I wouldn't try it myself...

If I were to do it - I'd leave a short run (say 2 - 4 inches / 10 cm ish) of regular plastic insulated wire - solder to that, shrink wrap the splice / join...
That way I get a nice cloth wire in the control cavity [u]without[/u] desoldering / adding solder and heat directly to a pickup - which I'd never touch for fear of needing to rewind the pickup!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1418838063' post='2633943']

Just curious as to why?
[/quote]

Ha! Indeed.

Well, I bought some because when I had my bass re-painted I thought the existing plastic wires were pretty flimsy and fragile. It was only on closer inspecyion of where the wiring connect to the actual pups that I realised a change-over was not straightforward.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1418716956' post='2632516']
If it's just for cosmetic reasons - I wouldn't try it myself...

If I were to do it - I'd leave a short run (say 2 - 4 inches / 10 cm ish) of regular plastic insulated wire - solder to that, shrink wrap the splice / join...
That way I get a nice cloth wire in the control cavity [u]without[/u] desoldering / adding solder and heat directly to a pickup - which I'd never touch for fear of needing to rewind the pickup!
[/quote]

Good suggestion!

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1418602637' post='2631699']
I would like to replace the pickup wires on my jazz bass with cloth wiring.
Is this a possible D.I.Y. task or does it need done by a professional?
[/quote]

The wires on my Wizard Thumper came off and I soldered them back on with no problems, I just made sure that I didn't have the soldering iron on the contact point for too long as the winding wire is so thin I didn't want to break it.