Why become a member? ×

I like big necks and I don't know why...

Kevsy71

Played 90 mins on Saturday's pub gig, rock blues covers, and my left hand was cramping by the end.

I play a MIM P with La Bella .110 flats, and I'd like some more support from the neck, i.e. front to back depth. Only the base of the fingers seems to be touching the neck on the MIM.

I've read up on the profiles of the 50s reissue P's, and the AVRI 63, but short of finding one to try can anyone please advise on how their neck depth/shape would compare to the MIM?

Cheers!

The basses you mention are pretty thin front to back, more so than your mim is as they are the thinnest that Fender made/make as a reissue.
If you want more thickness front to back look at an Allparts P neck or the mij Steve Harris sig neck - nice chunky '70s depth and the thickest Fender make right now I believe. You can buy the S Harris necks separately from the Stratosphere.

Edited by miles'tone

The Classic 50s is a wide neck, but not too deep. What age is your MIM, as I`ve noticed that the 2008 onwards ones are a fair bit deeper than the previous ones.

I too like a chunky neck on a Precision, and have found the 70s profiles ideal - they aren`t too wide, but are a nice depth and this gives a good support. Downside is spending a grand-plus, and finding a good one, as there are - apparently - a few bad ones out there.

Have you tried altering your left hand technique or strap height?

I had the same issue for ages and went through a lot of different neck shapes trying to work out what was best.

It turned out 90% of the problem was bad technique and having the bass too low. I can now get on with most shapes, I still prefer a P though.

Thanks all!

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You can buy the S Harris necks separately from the Stratosphere[/font][/color][/quote]
Ah, I couldn't find the SH, but apparently the Roger Waters neck is also thick: [url="http://www.stratosphereparts.com/2014-fender-roger-waters-precision-p-bass-neck-guitar-vintage-50s-maple-save/"]http://www.stratosphereparts.com/2014-fender-roger-waters-precision-p-bass-neck-guitar-vintage-50s-maple-save/[/url] .

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I too like a chunky neck on a Precision, and have found the 70s profiles idea[/font][/color][/quote]
I'll look out for some - am I right in thinking that 'U','D', 'C' etc. describe the shape but the depth front to back can vary over the years?

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The neck on the MIM Classic 50 is pretty wide and chunky..[/font][/color][/quote]
Have heard good things about those,is this the one? [url="http://www.stratosphereparts.com/vintage-50s-lacquer-nitro-fender-p-bass-neck-precision-1957-tinted-maple/"]http://www.stratosphereparts.com/vintage-50s-lacquer-nitro-fender-p-bass-neck-precision-1957-tinted-maple/[/url]

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Have you tried altering your left hand technique or strap height?[/font][/color][/quote]
Yes, it's partly related to an old finger injury, a thicker neck to grip seems to help. Although it's also true that the technique needs work! ;)

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...no other bruthas can deny...[/font][/color][/quote]
Amen!