Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Fender Precision Special 'Cowpoke'
£385

TimAl

[size=4][color=#b22222][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]*** SOLD ***[/b][/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#b22222][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]Sold for £385 with collection[/b][/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5][color=#000000][b]Fender Precision Special 'Cowpoke'[/b][/color][/size]

[color=#000000][i]1994 MIM[/i][/color]
[color=#000000][i]Active - pickup blend/volume & bass/treble[/i][/color]
[color=#000000][i]Transparent Crimson[/i][/color]
[color=#000000][i]4-string RH[/i][/color]
[color=#000000]Serial No. MN422446[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Hello there all,

Thought I'd try this for sale pre-Christmas, in case any of you have extraordinary kind partners . . .[/color]

[color=#000000]Up for sale is my Fender 'Cowpoke' - a cracking bass which I didn't know much about until I was introduced to one & couldn't say no![/color]

[color=#000000]However, too many basses, one wife & not enough money mean something has to give [/color] :huh:

[color=#000000]If you're not familiar with the 'Cowpoke' they are indeed genuine Fenders, despite the out of proportion headstock & other idiosyncrasies! They are relatively rare for mass-produced basses, only being produced between 1994-1996, & this is an early one, with 1994 stamped on the neck heel. It's finished in transparent red on the front & solid on the rear. It has a P & J pick-ups & has the Fender 9v active EQ with stacked volume/blend & bass/treble controls. The neck is more Jazz than Precision & measures 41mm plus it has Licensed by Schaller tuners. As far as I can tell it's totally original & unmolested in any way.[/color]

[color=#000000]It's in terrific condition for a 20-year-old bass, with a couple of very small marks as you'd expect with the only ones of note the small 'dent' on the front body above the P pick-up & the headstock decal has seen better days. I've photographed it in the studio to highlight any defects, as this lighting is VERY unforgiving.[/color]

[color=#000000]It's really lightweight at 3.4kg /7lb 7oz & is a joy to play - really REALLY smooth plus a great range of tones from the active EQ without being too over-bearing. Having read a bit about these on the interweb it seems they are held in really high regard, as although being Made In Mexico they feature USA pick-ups & electronics - although if you know different please do let me know as the interweb has a habit of talking guff.[/color]

[color=#000000]Selling due to too many basses & too little money - I suspect I'm not the only one out there! - so no trades please. I'm just outside Bedford & am pretty flexible for viewings & a noodle - I have warming beverages & mince pies on hand & love a chat about all things bass-related. I'll accept £385 COD or I will box-up in a sturdy guitar box & courier to you for £400 with payment by bank transfer or PayPal 'gift' if you can't make it to me, although naturally I'd prefer you to see with your own eyes before parting with any lolly.[/color]

[color=#000000]Don't hesitate to shout if you need any more info & Merry Everything.[/color]

[color=#000000]Cheers[/color]
[color=#000000]Tim[/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000][/color][/font][/size]

Edited by TimAl

Aaaaarggghhh! - I have one of these and it has become my main gigging bass of late. I love the neck on it and the active pre amp somehow retains the Fender tone.

I'd have this in a heartbeat as I'd love another as a spare, but this close to Christmas I fear divorce papers being issued should another bass enter the house.

Great bass GLWTS

[quote name='TimAl' timestamp='1418744527' post='2632892']
Again, thanks fellas.

Don't *think* so Noir - both sets of stacked knobs are the same so how do you mean?
[/quote]

I think I see it too - is the bottom half of what is presumably the bass/treble stack is upside down in comparison to the volume one? Looks like the top half of the concentric knobs should sit in a depression in the top of the bottom half, as the volume one appears to be doing.

Or maybe I'm going mad and seeing things.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1418748914' post='2632942']
I think I see it too - is the bottom half of what is presumably the bass/treble stack is upside down in comparison to the volume one? Looks like the top half of the concentric knobs should sit in a depression in the top of the bottom half, as the volume one appears to be doing.

Or maybe I'm going mad and seeing things.
[/quote]

Very nicely put, exactly what I mean.

@ Tim - good luck finding the allen keys :D

Someone buy this please otherwise I might have to.

Allen keys found - there was even one in the bunch that was the correct size! How often does that happen?! Fixed now, thanks for pointing that out.

[quote name='smaz' timestamp='1418764540' post='2633180']
Don't suppose you know what the fretboard radius is?

Also, are those straplocks or original strap pins? (this one just out of curiosity!)

Cheers
[/quote]

Smaz - I'm afraid I don't have a clue about the neck & I can't dig anything up on t'interweb either - all I can confidently say is it's not too big! Typical Jazz really. They're strap pins, not locks, & they are different from your normal Fender 'cone' shaped ones - although they look like all the other images I've seen of Cowpoke's, but to be honest they're so small to compare to onscreen it's very hard to gauge accurately, so:

@ Noirbass - if you have a second could you confirm or deny if the strap buttons are the same as yours please? I have a feeling I read somewhere that it had Schaller licensed tuners & pins . . .

Cheers
Tim

Edited by TimAl

[quote name='TimAl' timestamp='1418766711' post='2633218']

@ Noirbass - if you have a second could you confirm or deny if the strap buttons are the same as yours please? I have a feeling I read somewhere that it had Schaller licensed tuners & pins . . .

Cheers
Tim
[/quote]

Yep, they're all stock (tuners and strap buttons) and the radius is standard Jazz bass.

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='smaz' timestamp='1418768506' post='2633260']
They look like the ones that came with my Lakland, which were I believe Schaller ones that were strap-lock ready. Hadn't seen them on a Fender before, that was all!

Is this active only, or does it work passive?
[/quote]

Active only.

@ Noirbass - thanks very much indeed - wha'duh I owe you - 10%? ;)

Good/bad news depending upon your viewpoint - I have a gent coming to collect over the weekend so it's now ON HOLD & SOLD subject to the usual blah, blah, blahs.