Why become a member? ×

The best party/function band I have seen

steantval

We had our company Christmas party in London at the weekend.
Our American owners flew in employees from all around the world making around 500 people attending.
The party venue was The Guildhall in London, an amazing building with loads of history.
The live band were absolutely amazing, they are called Get Funked, a 13 piece outfit, superb musicians and vocalists.
Has anyone on here seen them or maybe their bass player posts on this site.

www.getfunked.com

Guys, for me, at least from the video they are a top notch what you would call function band.

Too many members and people on stage for me. I would go un-noticed and being seen and out front is really important to me.

I guess if you have a good agency and everyone in the band wants to gig it's great.

Look at the age of the members. Many times these people have young families and only want to gig once a month (that's not anywhere near enough gigging for me). Also what would the pay be after you pay the agency, sound and lights and divide it 13 ways? I really don't have a clue.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418682741' post='2632391']
These them? Sound like a pro function band. Not 'raw' enough for me. Bit sterile...[/quote]

I don't think this band is targeting those looking for that raw element. This is really what everyday people want to see.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418689292' post='2632459']
Prices start from £7980. That's $12500

[url="http://www.alivenetwork.com/bandpage.asp?bandname=Get%20Funked"]http://www.alivenetw...me=Get%20Funked[/url]
[/quote]

Then count me in, that sounds like everyone should get a generous chunk of change.

Blue

A well rehearsed product, I'm sure it was amazing live, I don't like all the yo yo come on gee up vocals though

Next year your company can save £5000 and we will get everyone dancing :) the stage and sound might be a bit emptier mind :)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1418713325' post='2632491']
A well rehearsed product, I'm sure it was amazing live, I don't like all the yo yo come on gee up vocals though

Next year your company can save £5000 and we will get everyone dancing :) the stage and sound might be a bit emptier mind :)
[/quote]

You can bet that they paid a lot more than £8k for them the weekend before Christmas in Central London!

I'm friends with a few of the guys. They are all top UK players and the band's been about for a while...I think about 10 years. Jo Phillpotts is their bassist and Basschat member, he's a monster player and whilst he was on tour with the 'Thriller' show he called in to say hi about 2 weeks ago. I was drooling over his bass and he sounded amazing!

Edited by geoffbassist

Ha, awesome, Jo's just bought my JV P bass - and a thoroughly nice chap he is.
Will take him up on the offer of a brew and a go on his basses when I'm next down south!

When deciding whether to buy my JV or not, Jo asked if I could send him any audio of the bass -
initially I only remembered a live vid someone took, with me playing "I want you back" at a gig.

The reply off Jo was something like "I know that song well...........I've just done the 'Thriller' tour"
I immediately thought - "derrrr - what did I send him that for?!!", but I did get a "nice playing" comment off him too. Obviously Jo just being polite!

Anyways, it worked out as he bought my bass!

Decent function band too!!

More like a glee theatre set up than a "band", one from the cabaret market, they will do well on the corporate scene thats for sure.
Personally I would only stay if I was expected to stay at the event.
Give me 4 guys knocking out stuff a bit less X factor style any time.
Horses for courses.

Jo is a great player - he's also the main UK player in Down to the Bone these days. You have to be pretty damn good to get in this band. Paul Turner and Julian Crampton have been pervious members :)

He's a regular visitor to our shop and a really nice guy too :)

Speaking Paul T - he has a function band as well now. My wife booked them for her company sales event. Very, very good indeed but no surprise given that the band is made up of three core members of Jamiroquai plus two excellent singers!

Edited by molan

I played in a 9-piece party/function band for a while (albeit not [i]quite[/i] as high-profile as this one) and I really liked the playing and the challenge of learning around 200 songs. What got to me in the end was... I found it all a little bit too [i]straight[/i]... the smart-dress/suit/get the audience going with fake bonhomie and patter, etc became a bit wearing... hard to explain, but it was fun while it lasted. :) I really enjoyed the money, though. And it [i]is[/i] one very achievable way of becoming a pro bass player too, if that's what you're looking for.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418742155' post='2632863']
I found it all a little bit too [i]straight[/i]... the smart-dress/suit/get the audience going with fake bonhomie and patter, etc became a bit wearing... hard to explain,
[/quote]

Anyone who has done it understands. :D