Why become a member? ×

What was it like for you being a bass beginner?

Gomez68

My Dad had played bass and guitar when he was a kid in a band (in fact, I now have his very first amp - an all original 1963 Fenton Weill valve combo - all 6 watts of it).

My very early memories are of Me, my bro and my sis sat round with my Dad playing his acoustic guitar - we'd sing songs and make songs up about family members. We'd record these songs on my Dad's
very 70's Goodmans cassette player with plug in mic. He must still have them somewhere.
I grew up to the soundtrack of 'Deep Purple', 'Dire Straits' 'Manfred Mann's earth band' and my Mum's amazing Motown vinyl collection.

I got a cheap 3/4 classical guitar at 10 and commenced lessons in school on the yellow book - can't remember the name.
I quit after a couple of terms.
Fast forward to secondary school and I started playing tuba at 12, by the time I got to 14 and had my grade 5 under my belt, I'd decided I wanted to start a band and learn guitar. Got a Mexican strat and started lessons alongside my brass lessons (still as my primary instrument).
Got a band going with no bassist so I said I'd give it a go.
Got my grade 8 tuba at 16 and carried on with the bass guitar in bands.
That's it ever since, although my tuba has taken much of a back seat really as I'm so busy with the function band.

I do wish I spent more time learning the old 6 string as I would like to "really wail" now and again in a band, but I love playing the bass!!

well for me it was issues with my hands im 46 and used to climb indoors and out twice a week then through work i got white finger and carpel tunnel syndrome in my hands and wrists so had to stop with the climbing ,sure i do other things ive got rifles ,shotguns and do some sea fishing ive also got two girls who are learning music so weve a few guitars a piano,an accordian and various other bits and bobs lying round the house .Ive always liked the sound of the bass and seem to be able to pick it out of whatever i listen to so basically i bought one and ive been noodling on it ever since i play id daily it goes to work with me im not keen on learning songs tabs etc i enjoy learning the notes and scales and playing about with them ive been playing the major triads for a few days now and im enjoying them just messing and playing them in different orders i also go for lessons once a week with my 12 year old daughter ,she keeps me right and the best bit my hands feel better than they have in years sure its all down to the excercises and moving them about on the bass.

I switched from guitar after 8 years of guitar lessons so it was pretty easy

I've recently been bought a cello and I've been trying to teach myself. It's driving me f***ing nuts! I forgot how hard it was all those years ago. It's all about having the determination to stick with it. Easier when there's a teacher to tell you off every week!

Started late teens and played my first gig a week after holding a bass for the first time. A friends band lost their bassist and I was in. Found it pretty easy to play passable bass lines for covers although they were usually pretty simple versions. I have gigged pretty much ever since and have improved a lot over time. Only just started having lessons this year at the age of 38 and finding it really beneficial. I think as a teenager I'd never have stuck lessons out but now I love them and have a great teacher that I have real faith in.

[quote name='red rooster' timestamp='1418734773' post='2632770']
... the best bit my hands feel better than they have in years sure its all down to the excercises and moving them about on the bass.
[/quote]

Wow! I think this is the first time I've heard of bass playing being beneficial to your hands!

I'd played guitar from about 10/11 and I was OK, but just OK. In my early 20s I decided that the low end was where my real passion lay so went that way, knowing that I would surely get loads of work. Did I buggery! Nothing, in fact worse than nothing, I got asked to join a band to play guitar! So I went back to the 6 string, but not before I had already swapped out my first bass (a Yamaha BB300) for a Westone Thunder lll which I duly ripped the frets out of (thus beginning my love affair with fretless; I blame Pino). So I embraced treble again and got much better than before, I even did a Musician's Institute course, but I never ended up playing in bands where the kind of music that satisfied me (with the possible exception of a rockabilly outfit). So at the age of 40ish I decided to go back to the low end and it's been great. I got a gig quite quickly where I thought that I wasn't that good as I didn't appear to be able to lock with the drummer, no matter how hard I tried. This was rectified when the same band had a couple of deps in; ah, that was better! Then a succession of alright bands up until now where I'm super happy with my main band doing 80s covers with a bunch of great musicians (the drummer is awesome and one of the deps previously mentioned). I get to play fretless quite a lot, which I love, and many of the lines are quite challenging, plus I sing now too (a huge surprise to me).

Back OT, the actual technical side of things was made easier having had a good grounding on 6 string. Things I struggled with initially (other than the locking in situation) was muting and making sure I didn't overplay. Finding the right gear was difficult and expensive, but a lot of fun :D

Playing bass has been the best move I have made musically because, as the wife says, I'm a much better bass player than I am a guitarist and I just enjoy it way more.

I started as the 'mid life crisis' thing, drums were too noisy and guitar looked too difficult, bass it was then.

:blush: I was actually one of those who was playing in a band after 3 months, mind you they had to play exactly the right songs, in the right order otherwise I was bu66ered!! there is a youtube vid somewhere of me playing at our 1st ever gig..petrified at the back of the stage, frozen in place lol..I think I played roots all night.

Fastest way to learn is get in with a band, seriously more fun and steeper learning curve than playing along at home or taking lessons, but so much more rewarding.

The fumbling fingers thing... yeah, I can remember that. And trying to mute the strings. I can still remember thinking that I'd never get it - how on earth were you supposed to play a note [i]and[/i] mute the other strings at the same time. I spent ages on that, with seemingly little improvement. Then it just seemed to click. I didn't even notice when it happened, I just found that I wasn't having to think about killing that ringing D string all the time.

You can work on something for a long time with little noticeable improvement, and then one day it all falls into place. The key is to push on through the periods when nothing seems to be coming together. :)

What an interesting thread, it certainly brought back memories back for me!
My story is that i had no interest in playing bass whatsoever infact when my mates started a band they tried to talk me into taking up bass as there was a shortage of bassists. They infact bought me a battered old bass from an auction and it really was a heap of junk but i got hooked and i've played bass ever since.
I was 15/16 at the time. What i found about myself looking back i was drawn to Duran,Pino and Talk talk...at this time it wasnt cool as my mates were into heavy metal. I did find i was picking up these basslines quite easy...infact i thought i must be playing them wrong as i did lack self belief when i first started. I never considered myself a bass player,just someone who played a bass.
I join my first 'proper' band when i was about 18 and the musicians were all experienced and highly regarded on the circuit and they saw something in me and i've never looked back.
I would say to anyone starting up to enjoy the instrument and take your time learning something.Everyone picks up bad habits so try and watch other bassists and dont be afraid to ask them any questions that may help you.Most of them are really helpful.
Looking back i would also add that playing with musicians better than me really helped me and made me a better player.Work with the drummer is a must and try and work on making the bassline 'bounce' whether its a really easy bassline or more complex. We all fumble and hit brick walls in our playing at some point but it doesnt last forever,try learning a different style of music or playing as this opens more avenues for your playing.
I'm 46 now and loving every minute i play! :happy:

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1418751813' post='2632982']
Fastest way to learn is get in with a band, seriously more fun and steeper learning curve than playing along at home or taking lessons, but so much more rewarding.
[/quote]

This.

I started playing in my mid teens in the early 90's.

I remember sitting with a Beatles Basslines book, and a transcription book from one of the Use your Illusion albums for hour on end trying to follow the basslines that I could barely make out on my crappy little tape player.

All this was on an Encore P bass copy and a no-name battery amp bought from tandy

I developed a decent ear for working out bass lines but really struggled in those early days.

A few weeks ago I was asked to learn the bassline note for note from Livin on a prayer- back in 93 that would have meant a trip to the library to borrow the tape, with a couple of hours of repeated listenings to perfect the subtle variances on the basic lines. Today I loaded an app, played along with it, looped it if needed, slowed it down if needed, and nailed it within 20 mins, (in '93 I'd have still been on my way to the library)

The beginners experience is so much easier now than it was then- the kit, the price, the accessibility of tuition etc. etc.

Although in addition, I completely recognise that I had it far easier than anyone trying to learn 20 years before I did.

I actually started out as a vaguely passable (depending on wind direction) recorder player in a Renaissance music ensemble.

About 35 years ago now, they decided to reinvent themselves as a folk rock band and nobody wanted to be the bass player - being the youngest, I got the job.

I spent about three months getting to grips with a totally alien (i.e. stringed) instrument and I've done brief stints as a guitarist and woodwind player since, but have pretty much stuck to bass ever since.

Started out nearly 4 years ago with fingers like 2 bunches of bananas. I can't believe some of stuff I can play now that I never dreamed I'd be able to master. 'The Seeker' leaps to mind. Also 'Rebel Yell' which is technically easy but so bloody fast I thought I'd never make it
Right hand speed is still what I struggle with. Related to that is the fact I still can't use a pick.
Still can't play Ace of Spades fast enough, or manage the octaves in Paranoid.

I'm still having lessons, but I've pretty much abandoned the thought of getting any grade exams. Too busy learning songs for the band. :-)

Much like some others.

Played violin at school, then Bam! 1977 arrives... Im 17 and I had to play bass cause my friend was really good on guitar, ha typical story.....

Picked up a Colombus Jazz from a junk shop...and suddenly found myself in a band full of slightly older more experienced musicians. Boy was it scary,...Deni Deni, and other punkyish tunes, it was a very fast learning curve. And for the most part I was pretty bad. It was all so loud..not like the school orchestra! Ha.

I always remember my first gig. It was supporting a more established band called The Pumphouse Gang and the bassist let me use his bloody great ...Orange Bass Bin!!..Holy moly I couldnt beleive it, got a picture somewhere.

I love playing bass..have'nt gigged for a few years but I still noodle for a good hour everyday, still feel the need to keep improving, .Its one hell of an obsession!

I started it 8 or so years ago as in high school, no band wanted anyone who plays keyboards, and guitar was just a bit too common for my liking. My dad's a guitarist and bassist, and my brother played too, so I ended up having a go on bass.

Locked myself in my bedroom with a Hohner B2a which was initially bought for my brother after my old man had shown me the basics, and that was it really. No one heard anything from me, although it had slipped to someone at school who played bass too that I'd taken it up, and out of the blue he came up to me and said "I don't care how good your dad is, you'll never be as good as me". He was a dick, that was my aim... it took me two months :lol:

My dad was playing lead guitar in a band, and I was still in my bedroom dabbling away, and news came through that the bassist was out of action due to severe medical issues, and the general conversation on the phone was "Well, David plays a bit, but he's kept to himself so I've no idea where he's at" At that point, he got me up to speed with the set, passed me his prized Wal and that was my first gigging bass :o

I ended up sticking with that band for a while, eventually needed a 5er, so he got the Wal back (for a time) and I ended up with a Peavey Grind 5, and eventually the fretless Corvette. Naturally, I thought I was pretty good, but nothing special. After another couple of years, we decided it was time I should start having lessons. This was after joining another originals band and getting out there and gigging, but that probably only lasted a year or so before I got fed up of it.

Took a gap year after college, my A level grades (including music) weren't what you'd call great, but I was sure I wanted to play bass at uni, seeing as college wouldn't let me play bass for my main study (yeah, thanks for that Holy Cross!). Explained the situation to my teacher, and he agreed to get me to the point where I'd get into uni based on my audition... and credit to him, he did!

Through uni, I started gigging more and more, and I made sure I went down the performance route, and in all the performance modules I was coming out with high 2:1s and eventually firsts (the degree I finished with a decent 2:1, despite getting a low E at A level!). I get to play with various musicians all over the country and get called back for more work too, and in the New Year, I'm off to the Emirates gigging out there.

I think the bumpy road was an alright option!

Oh yeah! And the bassist from high school bumped into me at one of the gigs I was doing recently and came out with "F*** me man, you're absolutely amazing!!" :lol:

Exciting, empowering, rewarding, satisfying, inspiring and life-affirming. I'd had some grounding on guitar so my left hand had a slight head start and I knew some scales already, but I threw the plectrum away and decided to play fingerstyle and that was where the most work was needed. I found I was able to pick out familiar bass lines quickly and began jamming with Skunk Anansie records. Within a month or two I was working on some of the less challengng Chilis songs like Walkabout and Apache Rose Peacock. Bass grooves were so much more fun and satisfying to play than anything I'd ever done on guitar and my one regret is not starting sooner. I simply had to do this; I had to become good and I had dedicate every spare moment to development and discovery.

I fell in love instantly, and two years later I'm even more deeply and madly in love with bass :-)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1418761383' post='2633127']
The fumbling fingers thing... yeah, I can remember that. And trying to mute the strings. I can still remember thinking that I'd never get it - how on earth were you supposed to play a note [i]and[/i] mute the other strings at the same time. I spent ages on that, with seemingly little improvement. Then it just seemed to click. I didn't even notice when it happened, I just found that I wasn't having to think about killing that ringing D string all the time.
[/quote]

Absolutely. My problem started the day I decided to chuck away my picks...cause it seemed every decent player used fingers.
In the space of a minute I went from being able to play reasonably fast lines to barely being able to play a twenty beats per minute version of the..... "Birdy Song"!

I started aged 15 on six string as at the time I couldn't afford or find a useable bass, my mates were all out nicking motorbikes and getting arrested, I decided my time was better spent mastering bar chords and playing along to Stiff Little Fingers songs....anyway eventually one of my aforementioned friends decided he needed to sell his bass (no doubt of dubious origins) to pay a fine, from memory! It was a stripped back Precision copy, I never looked back......I guess I did the really hard work starting out on six string, so switching to the bass was so much easier (at first) and as I became reasonably competent fairly quickly I enjoyed it more so stuck at it....it also annoyed my mum as she always said I never stuck at anything.....well mum 35 years on 2 albums and 1000's of gigs later, I can officially say she was wrong!!

I am still totally passionate about music and playing bass, I cannot imagine that ever changing now

I started on guitar in 1978, but didn't get round to bass till 2000. Although there were some transferable skills (fretting, plectrum playing, fretboard note knowledge), bass is a very different instrument to guitar, and needs a different approach. It was about 3 years before I got anywhere playing bass fingerstyle, and 2 years ago I completely re-thought my right-hand technique.

It was a massive advantage to be able to read music (feel free to argue about this in another thread!), and I have always transcribed guitar and bass parts from recordings, so that gave me a stock of sheet music to work from. I got into playing bass in bands pretty soon, so that gave me the impetus to learn entire bass parts. At the start it was rewarding to work out and play a bass line, and thinking about it, it still is!

In May 1997 I went to see my uncle in Bali, 3 week holiday.

He taught my brother and I a guitar piece (is it called 'Spanish Romance'?) and on our return, my brother bought a Hohner acoustic from Argos.

I learned 'there she goes' by the La's and was keeping up with my brothers progress.

I wasn't allowed a drum kit, and I couldn't song (still can't) so my brother and a mate who played said 'get a bass' and my other mate (who is still my drummer) got a black hohner drum kit.

We were a band! Rehearsals were at Moorside Juniors FC clubhouse on Fridays after school, and we recorded 'EP's' on a Tascam porta 02.

Awful pop punk stuff.

But, at that time I was well into Placebo and Stefan Olsdal's playing.

Still am.

Soon RHCP were back with Californication, and that was the turning point for me, I wanted to be a bass hero!

Great fun, got some pics somewhere.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1418898630' post='2634538']

A few weeks ago I was asked to learn the bassline note for note from Livin on a prayer- back in 93 that would have meant a trip to the library to borrow the tape, with a couple of hours of repeated listenings to perfect the subtle variances on the basic lines. Today I loaded an app, played along with it, looped it if needed, slowed it down if needed, and nailed it within 20 mins, (in '93 I'd have still been on my way to the library)
[/quote]

Which app is this?