Why become a member? ×

New D'Angelo Album

JamesBass

Very excited about this. No sign of an album for 14 years, various rumours about an album called 'James River' but nothing materialising and then this suddenly materialises. Heard a couple of soundbytes on Amazon, sounds good. I will definitely be getting the D'Angelo new album.

onto the Christmas list it goes ...

Actually it's the only thing in the list. Everything else I want costs too much money (random orbital sander), or is 'not Christmassy enough' (tailgate struts) and I've just picked up the bike lights I wanted on EBay

Edited by Roland Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got the CD for Christmas and have managed to listen through only once so far (busy holiday)
I'm liking what I hear. Very, very Sly Stone. It's a kind of dissonant soupy mixture of gooey bass and staccato funk with unorthodox rhythms, harmonies and textures. I would go so far as to draw a comparison with Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica - not so much in terms of the music itself, but in the feeling that this is a unique character creating an eccentric work that no one else on earth could have done - straight from the twisted soul. Definitely needs plenty more listens, and I'd need to be in the right mood, but this is one seriously interesting album.

I was in love with Voodoo for years.

Had two listens through BMessiah and found myself disappointed tbh.

Lacked the musical definition and vibrant soul of Voodoo and felt very sketchy.

Then I read that against his labels wishes he finished and released it early in a rush as he wanted to get it out ASAP due to the police-race issues in the states. Made sense to me after hearing the result. Plus I'm not sure exactly how the albums going to help the political situation there. Would have prefered him taking the extra time to get it solid.

Pleased to see others are enjoying it as it is though!

[quote name='Ashwood1985' timestamp='1420244722' post='2647243']
... Would have prefered him taking the extra time to get it solid.

[/quote]

The fella took 14 years... 😀 I kinda strangely like Voodoo playing in the background, but I find it impossible to listen to it with any concentration... He loses me after 5-10 minutes every time...

There seemed to such a rabid anticipation after it taking so long, that anything short of stone cold classic would be a let down. I think it's fantastic, each listen revealing new and subtle layers in the production. Pino as always a master class of taste and groove ;)

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1420314259' post='2648035']
There seemed to such a rabid anticipation after it taking so long, that anything short of stone cold classic would be a let down. I think it's fantastic, each listen revealing new and subtle layers in the production. Pino as always a master class of taste and groove ;)
[/quote] +1. I've been listening to Black Messiah a lot the past few days, much like Voodoo it's not an immediate album, very subtle & layered. I really like it too.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1420355421' post='2648303']
+1. I've been listening to Black Messiah a lot the past few days, much like Voodoo it's not an immediate album, very subtle & layered. I really like it too.
[/quote]

You guys have persuaded me to have another listen or two soon!

its just not as easy to listen to as Brown Sugar and not as Hip Hop like Voodoo., but man is it as good. the music is so interesting from song to song, but it is a slow burner. i was waiting to see what he did next for a long time. well it was 14 years. , it didn't hit me at first, just a few listens and there it is. not every song blows me away, but albums like that are rare.

this record is just superb. there is so much going on. his voice and piano playing. he's one of the greats imo,. and Pinos playing is just super cool.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTAnBM0ZdVI[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

Having listened to it many more times, I've been able to acclimatise myself to the style and textures a bit more. It is so well crafted; he seems to have a knack for gradually revealing order from chaos.
Current favourite is 1000 Deaths, a heavy mire of muted machine gun bass and distorted vocals which develops into a song which works so well. Love it

Edited by Roland Rock