Why become a member? ×

Am I In Trouble?

AndyBob09

So, last night, my agent phoned me and offered me a contract for some work abroad. I'd be leaving tomorrow but paid $150USD per day for 5 weeks because of the terribly short notice and the fact I'd be away over Christmas and New Year and stuff. He was really pressuring me hard to take the gig, so I took it. He sent the contract over, I signed it and sent it back and that was all done. After signing the contract and sending it off, I spoke to people close to me about the contract and nobody was really happy that I took it. I still have work commitments in the UK that may be hard to tie a couple up in such short notice, with Christmas just round the corner, we had a family Christmas planned (I was away for similar work last Christmas) and things. I took it upon myself, around 30 minutes after signing the contract and sending it to my agent, I sent him an email to say that I was not happy taking the contract at such short notice because I still had work commitments here that I could not tie up, but if there was any alternative after the new year, I'd be more than happy (he'd spoken of a contract from 7th Jan - 15th May earlier) to take it.

This all went down last night. My agent is in Canada, 5 hours behind us. The last contact I heard from him was at midnight (7pm his time). I told him I couldn't make it at 00:30 (7.30pm his time) and he has not responded. I assume he finished work. He'll get to his desk at 9am his time (2pm here). I'm expecting a rather angry phone call. Worst case scenario, my agent drops me from his books. There's a claus in the contract that says if I terminate it, I owe him 12% of what my contract was worth. Does this come in to play here? But yeah, I'm just waiting patiently until he gets to his desk for him to open a can of whoop ass down the phone to me. How severe will this can of whoop ass be?!

No idea what the consequences will be but I doubt he will take it well and I'd expect the very least would be that he drops you.
FWIW... I don't think signing it at that short notice was a good thing and you'd would need at least a few days to sort, but that is all
rather moot now.

All I can say is I hope you don't get too stressed for too long over it until it is resolved..

With the utmost respect.....$150 equates to 95 quid a day.....to be away from your family over Xmas and New Year and away for 5 weeks.

I would drop the agent rather than he drop you.

Anyway that said i hope you get it sorted amicably in some way.

P.S. you could say you signed it as a consequence of a 4 day straight alcohol, cocaine and prostitute fuelled bender?? Maybe not 😉

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1418732241' post='2632720']
With the utmost respect.....$150 equates to 95 quid a day.....to be away from your family over Xmas and New Year and away for 5 weeks.
[/quote]

I took $60 USD per day to be away over Christmas and New Year last year!

I'm surprised he hasn't called you already. Anyone working to such deadlines is going to have
everything piped through his phone so he can pick up mails and anything from the office.
It doesn't sound the type of arrangement where he can go home and switch off... and you need to get the bad news asap
so giving yourself more time to deal with it.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418733975' post='2632754']
You could claim the contract was signed under duress.
[/quote]
I would think this, if he was hounding you to sign a contract with unreasonable time scales and threats about future work etc, i think coercion can be a case for making the contract invalid and unreasonable.. proving it may be the issue tho.

Sorry pal but you've made a massive mistake and I think you should be expecting a dressing down of the highest order.

Why would you take work without speaking to your family or current commitments first? So you've pissed off your agent for turning down the work after agreeing to do it and your family and colleagues by assuming that they'd be ok with you buggering off for 5 weeks.

I'm sure you know this already but that's a real bad show!

I'm surprised at the reactions of some of BC's regulars too. Doesn't anyone else think this is really bad form?

Truckstop

Yes..you can do all these things and the only thing that really matters is has he covered the gig.
You can argue about this and that...and cause him grief but how much will it be worth it to get
something like a $1000 recompense..on the basis of 3 months work or so from you..???

I think you may have lost the agent, and possibly a part of your good name to others in the field
if he can't get fixed up very quickly with an alternative... ???
That would be my guess...

You might want to offer to do the Jan gig as a way of repairing 'good faith;..?? but he probably isn't worried
about that period if he wanted you to fly out immediately....
I agree, he is probably too busy trying to get someone else to bother with you just yet..??

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1418734308' post='2632761']
Sorry pal but you've made a massive mistake and I think you should be expecting a dressing down of the highest order.

Why would you take work without speaking to your family or current commitments first? So you've pissed off your agent for turning down the work after agreeing to do it and your family and colleagues by assuming that they'd be ok with you buggering off for 5 weeks.

I'm sure you know this already but that's a real bad show!

I'm surprised at the reactions of some of BC's regulars too. Doesn't anyone else think this is really bad form?

Truckstop
[/quote]

^^^^^
This.
At the moment the agent will be busy (trying) to sort out someone else.
You will be last on his radar, if on it at all again.
Plenty of more good Bass in the sea.

He recieved your confirmation at close of business? You don't know he's actually seen it? He may open both emails when he gets into the office today.

If he's a decent agent he'll just accept what you've done as an error and offer you the Jan work.

If he gets nasty, just remember, you're better off not working for idiots. Be polite and say no but you're still available in the new year. Turn down or accept that work as you feel fit, if and when it appears.

Always talk to people and never wind yourself up about what they might say or do until they say or do something. Stress is mostly imagined.