Why become a member? ×

Am I In Trouble?

AndyBob09

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1418740595' post='2632842']
just wondering what everybody's reaction would be if an agent changed his mind about a series of gigs after the contracts had been signed
[/quote]

Is this agent in Canada?
I feel we need this information to formulate a response.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1418740595' post='2632842']
just wondering what everybody's reaction would be if an agent changed his mind about a series of gigs after the contracts had been signed
[/quote]

Depends how far down the line you've gone with it.

We're talking about overnight.

The agent has probably gone home and waited until he had the signed contract. Or should have.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1418740879' post='2632849']
Is this agent in Canada?
I feel we need this information to formulate a response.
[/quote]not sure what Canada has to do with it, I'm from the "once you've said you'll do something you do it" school of thought, I was merely trying to point out that if the boot was on the other foot there'd be a load of bassist on here saying what a miserable bunch of robbing bastards agents where.

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1418742763' post='2632874']
not sure what Canada has to do with it, I'm from the "once you've said you'll do something you do it" school of thought, I was merely trying to point out that if the boot was on the other foot there'd be a load of bassist on here saying what a miserable bunch of robbing bastards agents where.
[/quote]

It would possibly be the difference between whether i tell him to sling his hook or not tbh.....

Many a contract has been binned over the years by both parties with little sleep lost.....

If he was abroad i'd ditch him and say i'm not doing it.....if he tries to get his 12% let him foot the bill for legal counsel.

Just re read my contract, as my (very pissed) agent just suggested. There's a claus that says if I don't even get as far as the gig and terminate the contract beforehand, I owe them one or two weeks wages. That's about £1,260. sh*t. And the fact I asked for another contract come January, I can well and truly forget that.

Lesson learnt. If I'm not comfortable in a situation, I need to take control and make sure I'm comfortable. I'll pay them what I owe them if they can get me another gig elsewhere. If not, I'll speak to my lawyer and think about paying them.

But I would agree with everyone here that's said I'm an arse. I should not have taken the contract in the first place but on taking the contract and leaving tomorrow, I'm leaving a lot of family at Christmas without even saying as much as goodbye to them, nevermind just throwing them an unwrapped present lying around. I'd be letting guys down on gigs and sh*t too.

Not going to give you a hard time over it... and I do get the point that if an agent had done this, we would all likely to be having our say about that as well.
As tough as it is... all round, I think you should try and be cordial and sensible about it so your stance about paying his 'dues' IF he gives you more work is a way of mending fences...a bit... but if he is going to bin you, which he may well do AFTER the pay-off, I'd think he can wait for his money, with all that goes with a complex overseas haggle.
And.... lesson learned and the maxim should now be..as the poster above said, if the answer has to be now, the answer is No.
He then would have had a chance to ask elsewhere and maybe would still have had to come back to you as you'd still be a 'possible'
to him and you would have brought yourself 24 hrs or so. I say this because the reason he was so tough on his stance is because he was under so much pressure as well.... and he'd had no luck getting a yes elsewhere....???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418754815' post='2633013']
and he'd had no luck getting a yes elsewhere....???
[/quote]

I suppose Andy should take some comfort that at least he was on the list,
all be it, at the bottom.....lol....

Hope you get it sorted AndyBob, and it all works out.
Not a nice situation to be in.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418754815' post='2633013']

As tough as it is... all round, I think you should try and be cordial and sensible about it so your stance about paying his 'dues' IF he gives you more work is a way of mending fences...a bit... but if he is going to bin you, which he may well do AFTER the pay-off, I'd think he can wait for his money, with all that goes with a complex overseas haggle.
And.... lesson learned and the maxim should now be..as the poster above said, if the answer has to be now, the answer is No.
He then would have had a chance to ask elsewhere and maybe would still have had to come back to you as you'd still be a 'possible'
to him and you would have brought yourself 24 hrs or so. I say this because the reason he was so tough on his stance is because he was under so much pressure as well.... and he'd had no luck getting a yes elsewhere....???
[/quote]

Some very good advice here, I would also suggest getting some legal advice - you never know what wriggle room you might have.

Under pressure to sign or not, the OP has signed a contract he hasn't read, without having sorted existing commitments and without asking his family. Now, loads of people are suggesting trying to get out of paying any compensation, dumping the guy or making the agent wait for any recompense.

I can't see that the agent is at fault here in any way. I assume that the OP is professional due to the nature of the post so this shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I dare say we've all made hasty decisions in the past but you need to hold your hands up when you do.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1418783636' post='2633379']
Under pressure to sign ...
[/quote]

That's the sticking point. A fairly important point as well.

Most consumer contracts have a 14 day cooling off period. Ok, this is a contract between two professionals. I would expect both parties to act proffesionally about it.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1418783636' post='2633379']
Under pressure to sign or not, the OP has signed a contract he hasn't read, without having sorted existing commitments and without asking his family. Now, loads of people are suggesting trying to get out of paying any compensation, dumping the guy or making the agent wait for any recompense.

I can't see that the agent is at fault here in any way. I assume that the OP is professional due to the nature of the post so this shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I dare say we've all made hasty decisions in the past but you need to hold your hands up when you do.
[/quote]

All pretty much true... I just don't think anyone is beating the guy up about it. They know the mistake, they accept the mistake
and know there will be consequences. I think the OP is just trying to negate the consequences somewhat.
The agent can hold the OP to the letter... and it will drag out. I think the thread is mostly about how to get beyond this in the best
most amicable way. I think we are beyond lectures as the OP is not complaining about the deal... he just needs to get out of it.

For the amount of money at stake.... both parties must know that total may not be the final total and how much stress...as opposed to being very very pissed off about it, is it worth?

Edited by JTUK

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd update this topic.

I was invoiced for one week's wage, due to the contract that I'd agreed to. I asked my agent that if I paid it, would it result in future work. He said yes. I paid the fee and on the same day, he sent me through a contract for another job with another company that begins in January, and we chatted on the phone about working together in the future and all seems positive.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1420927687' post='2655265'] I thought I'd update this topic. I was invoiced for one week's wage, due to the contract that I'd agreed to. I asked my agent that if I paid it, would it result in future work. He said yes. I paid the fee and on the same day, he sent me through a contract for another job with another company that begins in January, and we chatted on the phone about working together in the future and all seems positive. [/quote]

Nice one. A lesson learned and no harm done. I would call that a good result.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1420930615' post='2655306'] Les. Have you gone off kebabs? ;) [/quote]

No mate First gig of the year this Saturday so my no doubt eagerly awaited status update/ post gig feast reviews will continue. :lol: