Why become a member? ×

Light weight combo for pub gigs

Guest MoJo

Well I tried a Fender Rumble 100 in a local shop today and got some lovely tones out of it. I was surprised how tiny it was. Reasonable volume level without distorting. Not sure it'll hold it's own against a guitarist and drummer

Shop demos can't really give you an idea of how something performs in a live environment. Afraid there isn't a cheap, lightweight solution if you're working with a drummer, unless you can route the bass through a PA. I've tried to find it for years and failed. The physics dictates that you need to move enough air for low frequencies. I've gone the multiple smaller cab's route. Easy to carry individually, but add up to plenty of poke (properly driven, of course). the cheapest way to get the power you need is to buy a used PA power amp and drive it from your combo pre-amp out.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1419254806' post='2638015']
If it have a DI out, maybe you can add some of the bass to the desk to get more reinforce sound.
[/quote]

We only have a small vocal PA. Guitar and bass go off backline alone

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1419288785' post='2638505']
We only have a small vocal PA. Guitar and bass go off backline alone
[/quote]

This is why I currently have the setup in my sig that is for sale. more speakers moving more air and a bloody big amp to drive them. The rock band don't do many weddings so only have a vocal pa..

The new band has a full pa so I don't need all of that. Keeping the 15" just in case I'm depping with a band with only vocal pa.

I have no problem with the BAM210 other than it's weight. Standalone it barely gets above 2 on the volume control, with the 1x15 extension cab it could easily drown out the entire band should I wish (which I don't, usually :lol: ). The previous bass player used a GP7 130w 1x15 Trace combo which was more than man enough for the job but, the old Trace combos aren't know for being light. I'm looking for something approximately half of (or considerably less than) the BAM's back-breaking 42kg mass.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1418736073' post='2632789']
I was exactly where you were yesterday and then found this.

[url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/peavey-max-115-mkii-bass-combo.html"]http://www.pmtonline...bass-combo.html[/url]

£214 new? Gotta be worth a try!
[/quote]

Did you indulge?

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1418829359' post='2633777']
Checkout the Genz Benz Contour too really pokey combo and can be had for your budget.
[/quote]

+1

I have just bought a 2 x 10 Contour from PeteTexas, of this parish.

I never use this word lightly - but what an awesome bit of kit.

On it's own would very easily cope with a pub gig - with an extension (I am using an Ashdown ABM 212 at the mo')
it goes up to 500 watt.
Thunderous sound!!!!!!

Highly recommended!

:)

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1419424393' post='2639813']

I did!

Stone ME it's loud! Gives my GK head a run for it's money in terms of power. Lots of scope for EQ too - I'm very happy, and it's a bargain!
[/quote]

I did too. Looking forward to receiving it

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1419619509' post='2641367']
If you're happy with your peavey then wouldn't a hand truck be more appropriate?
[/quote]

I already use a hand truck which is fine as long as the gig is on the ground floor and there aren't any steps into the venue. There's still the lift in and out of the car

I had a Peavey Bam 210 and they are an absolutely great sounding combo, ridiculously loud, and the effects on them are really quite good to, I really liked the redhead setting, and if you are lucky enough to have the foot pedal, you have an absolutely great amp. They were very expensive when they first came out (I think about £1200) as they are top of the range top quality combo, and you won't get anything that sounds anywhere near as good for the same money. However!
This does come with a compromise, and this is the reason why such a top quality combo is relatively cheap on the second hand market, these things are silly heavy, I'm no wimp and I struggled to get it into my boot, and that was ultimately the reason I sold, if this weight 50lbs less I would never have sold it, I was prepared to pay more for something that sounded as good, but lighter. I've worked my way through several combos over the last 18 months and finally found the power to weight ratio power combo of my dreams! But even this does not sound better than the Bam! It's just 29lbs rather than 96lbs.
So this is the question you have to ask yourself, the Bam is a truly top quality combo which is a bargain because it weighs so bloody much, anything else you get for the same price won't sound as good, the Bam is a bit of a hidden gem, these go for about £300 on the second hand market which is just ridiculous for something that sounds so good!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

You're absolutely right and now I'm not sure what to do about the Peavey MAX115 I've ordered. The BAM is so versatile and I paid £320 secondhand with the pedal. I like to use the Redhead setting too. It's one of the sims I regularly use along with the Bassman sim for a bit of valve-like grit on songs like Chelsea Dagger. The SVT setting is great too. Looks like I'm going to have to put up with the weight because I'm not going get anything that compares for the price

Edited by MoJo