Why become a member? ×

Light weight combo for pub gigs

Guest MoJo

I've recently joined a three piece pub covers band and I'm having a whale of a time. My only gripe is my BAM210 which is an awesome piece of kit but weighs as much as a small moon. Loading it in and out of the pubs on a folding sack truck through crowds of smokers standing outside and up a couple of steps into the bar, is getting tiring. I've been looking at getting something more portable, possibly a TC Electronics BG250 or a Roland CB120XL. We're not a particularly loud band, the BAM never goes above 2 on the Volume control and usually play to 50-80 people.

I'd appreciate opinions on the combos mentioned and on reasonably priced alternatives

Thanks

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1418753377' post='2632995']
It depends on your definition of "reasonably priced".
Get to a shop & try a few. See what you like the sound of.
[/quote]

Sorry, should have been clearer. Probably looking to spend £250-£300. Happy to go for something used

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1418736073' post='2632789']
I was exactly where you were yesterday and then found this.

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/peavey-max-115-mkii-bass-combo.html

£214 new? Gotta be worth a try!
[/quote]

I'd be interested to hear the views of anyone who owns one of these. I've watched a couple of YouTube reviews and the tone was pretty poor in the video

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1418766854' post='2633221']
Neither are what I would call light weight though..............
[/quote]

No, I wouldn't either but the budget overrides all else... so something has to give and it is the weight. :lol:
Cheap and light don't go too well together..

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1418771003' post='2633300']
I've used my Ashdown 180 112 combo for small pub gigs and it holds up fine. Paid £90 for mine a couple of years ago.
[/quote]

I've had a quick scout around and the Ashdown EB180 112 may be just the job. It seems it's around 50lb, almost half the weight of my 93lb :shok: BAM210 combo. There's one for sale locally to me. I might have to go and try it out.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1418773579' post='2633338']
Gallien Kreuger MB112 can be found for £300 new. Very light and it's made in USA.

It'll go to reasonable volumes but might struggle up,against a loud drummer.
[/quote]

I'll check this one out too. Thanks

I can say that the Roland cube 120xl is pretty nice. The features are good and there very well built. In fact all the roland cube range are pretty decent from experience. The bass versions are slightly overpriced though in my opinion but you do get usable inbuilt features, compressor, effects, looper, tuner, various amp modeling. Which could mean you take less pedals etc in theory. And they can take a massive amount of abuse.

I have not tried the TC electronic bg250 but i thought about getting one as the reviews seemed good. If i was to get one it would be the 210 version. The toneprint thing seems cool also.

I guess both of them would do the job well. It may come down to which one is easier to carry?.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1418811421' post='2633509']
No thoughts on the TC Electronic BG250?
[/quote]

I have a TC Electronic BG250-208

I'm in several bands / combos / outfits
The larger, louder, more rocky stuff I use a larger rig

I bought the TC for smaller gigs, or when I'm playing with a duo or trio
It's pretty light, in terms of lugging it about, and quite powerful, for such a small amp
There is also an output, to enable you to go through a PA - which can also be handy

Personally, I think the sound is pretty good
but sometimes (poss depending on venue) I can't quite seem to get the sound I'm really happy with
It's OK, but sometimes it seems to lack a little "bottom end", or the mid range tones seem a little harsh...

I also find that if I'm stood almost in front of it,
I can't hear myself too well - but that goes for many bass amps
Wedging something underneath, to tilt it slightly upwards helps a bit
Oddly enough, there have been times when I seem to hear myself, and think I'm too loud (when others think I'm not!)
..... again, this varies between venues and which bass I'm using

One reason I bought the amp, was to use with double bass, in acoustic duos & trios
again, it sounds fine - but not quite as good as I had anticipated
(I have 2 pickups installed on the DB, one transducer, and one with transducer + mic)
Using the trans/mic pickup with pre-amp, the sound is definitely more DB-like
using the DB transducer only, this amp tends to sound a little "flat"..... but again, I think that's to be expected

At 250W this amp does pack a bit of a punch, but it will depend on how loud the rest of the band are
and how many band members there are too.....
It's very portable, handy-sized and lightweight
For the money, I'd say it was fairly good

I was looking at the Markbass 208 combo,
and this is more than twice the output,
at a fraction of the price

Try one out in a shop, or see if you can find a friendly BC'er near you, who'll let you try theirs first

Other options are the new range of Fender Rumble amps
They are even lighter again.
I tried the Rumble 100 recently, and was surprised at how loud it was,
the quality of sound, and useful features, but I was stunned at how amazingly light it was
Mind you, they are more pricey!

Good luck with your search
Let us know what you find
Don't rule out buying second-hand.....

Hope this helps a bit

Marc

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1418817022' post='2633579']
the quality of sound, and useful features, but I was stunned at how amazingly light it was
[/quote]

This is what i was going to suggest

You probably won't get everything you want at your price bracket. Lightweight stuff is fairly new and there isn't a glut second hand. Light,loud and cheap don't come together to make either. Cheap speakers lack the ability to move enough air to make loud bass sounds bigger or two speakers get there but at the cost of double the weight. this applies whether you have a combo or a separate amp.

the compromise I use when I need light weight or something for a small stage is a Harke kickback (other amps are available) but the trick is to roll off the bass, which enables you to turn up without over driving the speaker. Pushing it against a back wall or even better into a corner means the walls reflect bass back into the room giving a bit of bass boost to compensate for the roll off in eq. If you can put a bit of bass through the PA then give it a bass boost to compensate for the cut of your stage amp.

If that tone isn't acceptable then you only have two alternatives, play quieter or save up for a better combo. None of us has yet found a way of being loud, light, bassy and cheap. Sorry

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1418817022' post='2633579']
I have a TC Electronic BG250-208

I'm in several bands / combos / outfits
The larger, louder, more rocky stuff I use a larger rig

I bought the TC for smaller gigs, or when I'm playing with a duo or trio
It's pretty light, in terms of lugging it about, and quite powerful, for such a small amp
There is also an output, to enable you to go through a PA - which can also be handy

Personally, I think the sound is pretty good
but sometimes (poss depending on venue) I can't quite seem to get the sound I'm really happy with
It's OK, but sometimes it seems to lack a little "bottom end", or the mid range tones seem a little harsh...

I also find that if I'm stood almost in front of it,
I can't hear myself too well - but that goes for many bass amps
Wedging something underneath, to tilt it slightly upwards helps a bit
Oddly enough, there have been times when I seem to hear myself, and think I'm too loud (when others think I'm not!)
..... again, this varies between venues and which bass I'm using

One reason I bought the amp, was to use with double bass, in acoustic duos & trios
again, it sounds fine - but not quite as good as I had anticipated
(I have 2 pickups installed on the DB, one transducer, and one with transducer + mic)
Using the trans/mic pickup with pre-amp, the sound is definitely more DB-like
using the DB transducer only, this amp tends to sound a little "flat"..... but again, I think that's to be expected

At 250W this amp does pack a bit of a punch, but it will depend on how loud the rest of the band are
and how many band members there are too.....
It's very portable, handy-sized and lightweight
For the money, I'd say it was fairly good

I was looking at the Markbass 208 combo,
and this is more than twice the output,
at a fraction of the price

Try one out in a shop, or see if you can find a friendly BC'er near you, who'll let you try theirs first

Mind you, they are more pricey!

Good luck with your search
Let us know what you find
Don't rule out buying second-hand.....

Hope this helps a bit

Marc
[/quote]

I read this as a poem :)