Why become a member? ×

Vintage P Bass refinishing job. Anyone here do this type of thing?

Karl Derrick

I bought a brilliant Fender 72 P Bass from our own Cliff (CH161)

The body was refinished sometime in black, and I'd really like to get it stripped and refinished in a tinted clearcoat to match the headstock face.

I've approached many of the pro shops, and they are coming in very pricey and can't touch it until March at the earliest.
I'd like to get the body done before then.

Do any of our members do this kind of thing?

Many thanks,

Karl

Apparently David Wilson does an excellent refinish, and I've approached him for a quote. Whether he is very pricey or not I can't yet say, but I'll certainly let you know. Meanwhile I'm sure there are others here who can help and I know of at least two members have had a D. Wilson refinish, so perhaps they'll chime in in due course.

[url="http://www.dwilsonguitars.com/"]http://www.dwilsonguitars.com/[/url]

Find retro169 on facebook. Top stuff and good price. I did discuss refinishing my black P as a Sunburst with him and he said that getting all the black off and clean could be a royal pain. He will be much cheaper if you send it to him stripped.

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1418747759' post='2632933']
I bought a brilliant Fender 72 P Bass from our own Cliff (CH161)

The body was refinished sometime in black, and I'd really like to get it stripped and refinished in a tinted clearcoat to match the headstock face.

I've approached many of the pro shops, and they are coming in very pricey and can't touch it until March at the earliest.
I'd like to get the body done before then.

Do any of our members do this kind of thing?

Many thanks,

Karl
[/quote]

Don't know if you are anywhere near Manchester, but this guy did some repairs for me and made a great job. Several other people on the forum have used him too, and he's worked on some valuable instruments over the years I don't doubt.

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk

[quote name='notable9' timestamp='1418851573' post='2634156']
Just a thought.
Ur 72 was probably sunburst or solid colour when new. The bodies are usually three pieces of Alder which when stripped to natural show up the joins. Factory naturals were usually one piece of ash which tend to look more proper.
[/quote]

As Karl knows when we had a chat about the finish. My feeling was that this bass was originally Lake Placid Blue.
When I examined it carefully I found some specs of what I thought was LPB in the Pup cavity.
It's a bit of a crime to refinish a factory LPB in black I know - but that's the 80s for you!
Good point about the body joins though. We'd only know once it was stripped back.
I think it's Alder though.

Thanks very much for all the input, I appreciate it.

I got a great quote from David Wilson. David does some fantastic finishing and refinishing work, for clients like Mark Knopfler.

We've talked about the bass and have considered the possibility of visible joins, bad knots, dents filled with body filler, etc.

Where we are now is that he'll strip the black off, see what we've got, then make a decision.

If the wood's good, we'll go with a tinted Polyester to match the aged headstock. If not, we'll go with a solid colour.
I'm not fussed if the grain doesn't match exactly and we have visible dowels, etc. I think it's part of the story.

It's always a gamble.....

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

Agree with the above-mentioned point of the Solid colour/ joins issue. If it was originally natural, it'll be an Ash body and a nicer grain, however it was originally a sunburst or solid colour, you'll have an Alder body (no interesting grain to speak of) plus some obvious joins.

Your choice of course, and you don't have to make a decision until the current colour is stripped off. I'd use the opportunity to go for a 'rare' custom colour myself :)

Good luck
Si

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1418892783' post='2634418']
Thanks very much for all the input, I appreciate it.

I got a great quote from David Wilson. David does some fantastic finishing and refinishing work, for clients like Mark Knopfler.

We've talked about the bass and have considered the possibility of visible joins, bad knots, dents filled with body filler, etc.

Where we are now is that he'll strip the black off, see what we've got, then make a decision.

If the wood's good, we'll go with a tinted Polyester to match the aged headstock. If not, we'll go with a solid colour.
I'm not fussed if the grain doesn't match exactly and we have visible dowels, etc. I think it's part of the story.

It's always a gamble.....

Karl
[/quote]

Good choice! :)