Why become a member? ×

EBow : two questions

aardvark

[quote name='aardvark' timestamp='1418752339' post='2632985']
Two EBow questions:

1. Will EBow work with nylon flatwound strings?

2. Is EBow Plus worth the extra?

Cheers!
[/quote]

No, and no.

It works by electro magnetism, the strings have to be metal.

I just use a normal eBow, check any of my recordings for what it's capable of.

It's an amazing device, I've had mine for about 4 years now.

:)

Edited by ambient

[quote name='aardvark' timestamp='1418752339' post='2632985']
Two EBow questions:

1. Will EBow work with nylon flatwound strings?
[/quote]

I don't think so.

IIRC an Ebow uses a moving magnetic field to 'vibrate' the string.
Unless your strings have a steel core then it just won't work.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1418756863' post='2633031']
Must be my ham fisted technique :lol:

Are you playing the note initially to get it vibrating or just from the Ebow?
[/quote]

No, it just starts to ring due to the eBow, maybe takes half a second or so sometimes on the low strings, but that's not a problem with the sort of stuff I do.

A lot of people have problems using them on bass, it's totally just a matter of persevering with the thing, and getting the angle right and stuff.

[quote name='aardvark' timestamp='1418757687' post='2633049']
Thanks guys. The strings I use (Rotosound Trubass) have a steel core. Would that work?

Ambient - amazing that you replied, as I just bought your album on Bandcamp! It's great.... :)
[/quote]

Wow, thanks for buying it - seriously !

With a steel core then I'm guessing yes, maybe just a bit slow ?

I'm home from uni at the weekend, Sutton Coldfield, you're welcome to call over and try mine before buying one if you wanted.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1418760901' post='2633114']
Aren't nylon tapewounds just a normal metal flat or roundwound string with a nylon out outer wrap?
[/quote]

Must be, because they work with magnetic pickups :)

So yes they will work with an eBow, in theory. The nylon wrap might damp them a lot though.

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1418773802' post='2633341']
Must be, because they work with magnetic pickups :)

So yes they will work with an eBow, in theory. The nylon wrap might damp them a lot though.
[/quote]
Indeed!

I have an eBow II that I bought from here, and some laBella Black Nylon Tapes. Give me a couple of days and i'll record a comparison with coated steel strings.

Ok, here's a recording with my eBow Plus or whatever it's called. Clean tone with delay, reverb and chorus.

You've got three sections: La Bella black nylon tapes D string / coated steel A string / La Bella black nylon tapes E string.

https://soundcloud.com/silddx/ebow-nylon-steel

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1418844039' post='2634043']
Ok, here's a recording with my eBow Plus or whatever it's called. Clean tone with delay, reverb and chorus.

You've got three sections: La Bella black nylon tapes D string / coated steel A string / La Bella black nylon tapes E string.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/silddx/ebow-nylon-steel"]https://soundcloud.c...bow-nylon-steel[/url]
[/quote]

Many thanks xilddx, that's really helpful. Some great sounds there, especially in the last section! :)[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Did you find any delay in response on the nylon strings, as others have suggested here?[/size]

[quote name='aardvark' timestamp='1418846668' post='2634080']
Many thanks xilddx, that's really helpful. Some great sounds there, especially in the last section! :)

Did you find any delay in response on the nylon strings, as others have suggested here?
[/quote]

No delay in response as far as I could tell, pretty powerful response actually, the nylons felt really strong, but positioning the eBow in the optimum area is important. It felt nicer playing the nylons, less extraneous noise too. I felt happier with them, more musical. I had the nylons on the E and D, the steels were on the A and G

I use the eBow with guitar, this is only the second time I've used the eBow on the bass. It took about ten minutes to get the technique decent.

Until the other day (when I watched a bass master class video on here) I'd not realised that stainless steel is essentially non-magnetic so it's the core that the pickups sense. Nickel on the other hand is ferromagnetic so whether the windings are nickel plated or pure nickel I suppose they contribute to the signal alongside the steel core - this might mean that an Ebow would work better with nickel strings.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1418850354' post='2634143']
Until the other day (when I watched a bass master class video on here) I'd not realised that stainless steel is essentially non-magnetic so it's the core that the pickups sense. Nickel on the other hand is ferromagnetic so whether the windings are nickel plated or pure nickel I suppose they contribute to the signal alongside the steel core - this might mean that an Ebow would work better with nickel strings.
[/quote]

Ah, science. Weirdly it is the nickel which makes the most common stainless steel (others can be magnetic, depends on the mix) non-magnetic.

With regard to six string guitars I have never observed any difference between steel or nickel strings reaction to being ebowed. The main drive comes from the interaction with the pick-up which gives you the feedback loop that gets the string really going.

Of course the density of bass strings means their reaction will be different, but I imagine once you start diving into the pick-up there won't be any discernible difference. Of course here I'm talking about regular strings, not nylon covered of which I know nothing.

[quote name='aardvark' timestamp='1418846668' post='2634080']
Many thanks xilddx, that's really helpful. Some great sounds there, especially in the last section! :)

Did you find any delay in response on the nylon strings, as others have suggested here?
[/quote]

I now want an Ebow