Why become a member? ×

Medium scale recommendations?

TRBboy

Hey folks! I quite fancy trying a medium scale bass (32" - 33"),5 string of possible, and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations? I wouldn't want to spend too much at this stage, so maybe sub £500 if that's possible. Hit me with ideas!

Similar thread from a couple of months ago - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247993-medium-scale-gas/page__p__2593939__hl__medium%20scale__fromsearch__1#entry2593939"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247993-medium-scale-gas/page__p__2593939__hl__medium%20scale__fromsearch__1#entry2593939[/url]

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1418805842' post='2633450']
Similar thread from a couple of months ago - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247993-medium-scale-gas/page__p__2593939__hl__medium%20scale__fromsearch__1#entry2593939"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247993-medium-scale-gas/page__p__2593939__hl__medium%20scale__fromsearch__1#entry2593939[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks man, I'll check it out. :D

The problem with a 32" 5 string is finding strings. As far as I know, Warwick make the only off-the-shelf set.

You may be able to have a modification made that will enable you to use 34" strings (the B is the problem). See for example an instrument by Alan Cringean:
[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0152-harlot-mkii-6-short-scale/"]http://www.acguitars...-6-short-scale/[/url]

I have a barely-touched (kept in reserve) 5 string 32" Warwick that will be for sale within a few months.

For fear of upsetting Tedmanzie, I'd just like to say that my 32" scale 80s MIJ Squier Precision (which was once his) is the very nicest bass that I have ever picked up - for me, anyway. Something about the 32" scale is great, but everything else - weight, neck, playing position, tone... :)

Can I ask a dumb question at this point?

When I buy a set of new strings for my 34" scale length basses, I invariably trim a bit off the end as they are too long. Is there an issue I haven't thought of in fitting 34" scale length strings to a 32" - or even 30" scale length - bass and then just trimming off the excess?

I have actually done this with a cheap set of Legacy strings on my Musicmaster and the Universe hasn't imploded yet, which kind of makes me wonder if it makes any difference at all? :)

[quote name='Mr_Bond' timestamp='1418827668' post='2633754']
The problem with a 32" 5 string is finding strings. As far as I know, Warwick make the only off-the-shelf set.

You may be able to have a modification made that will enable you to use 34" strings (the B is the problem). See for example an instrument by Alan Cringean:
[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0152-harlot-mkii-6-short-scale/"]http://www.acguitars...-6-short-scale/[/url]

I have a barely-touched (kept in reserve) 5 string 32" Warwick that will be for sale within a few months.
[/quote]

Interesting.... I'm sure I've seen medium scale sets from d'addario and rotosound before, but I may be wrong.

Is your Warwick a 5er? If so, please pm me, I'd like to know a bit more about it, and how much you are looking for. :D

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1418834315' post='2633877']
For fear of upsetting Tedmanzie, I'd just like to say that my 32" scale 80s MIJ Squier Precision (which was once his) is the very nicest bass that I have ever picked up
[/quote]

Yes please. Name your price!!

I actually wonder whether Fender Custom Shop/Bravewood/Limelight would be able to build a 33" scale Precision. Might be worth asking when I'm in a position to buy.

When I buy a set of new strings for my 34" scale length basses, I invariably trim a bit off the end as they are too long. Is there an issue I haven't thought of in fitting 34" scale length strings to a 32" - or even 30" scale length - bass and then just trimming off the excess?
[/quote]

The E A D and G strings are no problem (on my bass) but a 0.130 or 0.135 gauge B string simply won't fit into a tuner without modification.

I've read suggestions about cutting away the outer wrap and soldering to prevent unwinding but it's certainly not possible with all strings and isn't practical for me.

Edited by Mr_Bond

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1418838536' post='2633958']
Interesting.... I'm sure I've seen medium scale sets from d'addario and rotosound before, but I may be wrong.
[/quote]

There's a variety of 4 string medium scale sets available but it's very hard to find a B string.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1418846817' post='2634082']
Yes please. Name your price!!
[/quote]

:) That would still make you second in line, I'm afraid. Is there a smiley for 'smug git'?

[quote name='Mr_Bond' timestamp='1418857071' post='2634240']
The E A D and G strings are no problem (on my bass) but a 0.130 or 0.135 gauge B string simply won't fit into a tuner without modification.
[/quote]

Ah, I see. I hadn't thought that one through.

Can anyone with a 32" scale 5er comment on the B string for me? Just wondered if it's flaccid and useless, or whether it can be very good as long as the bass is well designed?

I really like the idea of getting a 32" 5er built, it just seems like it would be so much more comfortable and easy! :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1419283276' post='2638408']
the B string... Just wondered if it's flaccid and useless, or whether it can be very good as long as the bass is well designed?

I really like the idea of getting a 32" 5er built, it just seems like it would be so much more comfortable and easy! :D
[/quote]

In my experience (of two 5-string 32" basses and three 30" 4-strings), the stiffness of the instrument (and the strings) is very important. The bridge and tuners also matter.

I had an Aria IGB-36 (which I should perhaps have kept) and the strings were even and taut from top to bottom (there was absolutely nothing wrong with the E). The E on a Cort Action Junior (another budget 4-string instrument) was useless. If I'd experimented with different strings, I'd probably have been able to improve it but it could have never been like the Aria.

I tried and was impressed by a 5-string 32" (headless) Status and my Warwick's OK. The problem, as I suggested before, is being able to find a choice of 32" B strings.

There are a couple of other things to bear in mind when considering a shorter-scale instrument. (1) Has the body been scaled down or just the neck? If the latter, you can probably forget about 24 frets and easy access all the way to the top (the IGB-36 had a scaled-down body so this was no problem). (2) Because of the shorter scale, the strings will be slightly farther apart all the way up the neck than they would be on a 34" bass with the same spacing at the bridge. You might want narrower spacing than usual.

Someone should make a good stiff 32" five-string, with strings through the body (to allow the use of 34" strings), a slim, narrow neck, low frets, a scaled-down body, and narrow bridge spacing. That really would be "comfortable and easy".

For fear of upsetting Tedmanzie, I'd just like to say that my 32" scale 80s MIJ Squier Precision (which was once his) is the very nicest bass that I have ever picked up - for me, anyway. Something about the 32" scale is great, but everything else - weight, neck, playing position, tone... :)

Can I ask a dumb question at this point?

I have actually done this with a cheap set of Legacy strings on my Musicmaster and the Universe hasn't imploded yet, which kind of makes me wonder if it makes any difference at all? :)
[/quote]

Is this an E-series Japanese?
If so I feel the same way about mine!

I came across mine through a stroke of luck and also feel like it's just the perfect bass! There's just something magic about it..