Why become a member? ×

Advice needed for what bass to get?

lawetlatla

(Is this the right place to put this?)

I've been searching/saving for a Stingray (candy red finish w/matching headstock, rosewood fretboard, 4 string) for the past year, & now that I've finally found the exact bass I've been looking for I'm getting cold feet about it.

I mainly play funk, or funky style stuff, but also a bit of jazz (& rarely some indie stuff), but mainly [u]the funk[/u]. Would a stingray suit this style? I've also considered getting a Fender Jazz with a maple neck, but I can't decide if I'd much prefer it, or hate it much more?

It also needs to be quite sturdy as I end up knocking my equipment far more than I'd like to admit.

Also price doesn't even matter

(EDIT: In the future (< 5 years), I'll probably end up getting whichever I don't get now)

Edited by lawetlatla

[quote name='lawetlatla' timestamp='1418768402' post='2633259']
I have played on both, but not at the same time, so I don't think I can compare them very well, only know that they were both great to play.
What's the difference between active & passive?
[/quote]

If you thought they were both great to play - just go with the one you think looks the best. :)

[quote name='lawetlatla' timestamp='1418768402' post='2633259']
I have played on both, but not at the same time, so I don't think I can compare them very well, only know that they were both great to play.
What's the difference between active & passive?
[/quote]

Well with an active circuit you can boost or cut certain frequencies you could say you will have greater control over your sound. 2eq treble and bass or with a 3eq treble, mid and bass. Also with an active bass you get less hum in general. Remember to carry a spare battery at all times too with an active bass.

I would love a Stingray i think they look and sound awesome. But im not keen on the neck or the pick up position if you anchor your thumb on the pickup like me your going to be closer to the bridge and this will give a different sound. This is not an issue if you like that sound or float your hand.

The jazz bass of course has a thinner and in my view a nicer neck. The two pickups give a good variety of sound.

If you have played both and you both think they sound great then go for which one that is probably more comfortable to play for longer periods of time of both are good then as said before go for which one looks the best to you. But do remember the neck widths and different pickup aspects. As said if i had larger hands and better technique i would love a stingray. But for comfort of playing to me a jazz bass is much better.

As for knocking your bass around both are well proven instruments.

Edited by Twincam

Both a Stingray and a Jazz will do these jobs very well. Having had one of the below, it has to be worth checking out, def the most versatile bass I`ve ever had:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251421-american-fender-jazz-bass-deluxe-l750/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/251421-american-fender-jazz-bass-deluxe-l750/[/url]

To throw a spanner into the works; why not try out a Yamaha BB2024?

P/J pickup configuration is ideal for every style going, great necks (somewhere between and Jazz and Precision) and amazing quality.

New they're quite expensive, but you can save a few hundred by going second hand. You should get thee to Bassdirect in Leamington Spa and try out everything!

Truckstop

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1418778423' post='2633373']I would love a Stingray i think they look and sound awesome. But im not keen on the neck...
The jazz bass of course has a thinner and in my view a nicer neck. The two pickups give a good variety of sound.
[/quote]

Fair point about the two pickups on the J giving more versatility. But might I suggest a third option as some sort of a compromise between the Ray and the J?

How about the EBMM Sterling? The neck profile is much more like a J, the body is smaller (and better proportioned IMO) and the three-band EQ adds back a lot of the versatility that having two pickups would allow... I used to own one and it was a great bass - very playable and with a big range of tones.

You can often pick them up at a good used price too... For example - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250641-ebmm-usa-sterling-price-drop/page__p__2633395__hl__sterling__fromsearch__1#entry2633395"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250641-ebmm-usa-sterling-price-drop/page__p__2633395__hl__sterling__fromsearch__1#entry2633395[/url]

What bass for Funk?

A Stingray was good enough for Louis Johnson and Bernard Edwards, Rocco Prestia and Chuck Rainy played P type bass for a long time, Larry Graham and Bootsy used Jazz basses, Lakland have been used by the likes of Rodney Skeet Curtis and I think it was a BC Rich that Jerry Preston used when he was with Maceo Parker.

Funk isn't a look, a bass or even a sound. I think you can get whatever bass you want and if you can play funk you'll be fine.

If the bass you were lusting after has left you cold when you played it it's not 'the one' - find another.

Guitars, and basses are like people, no two are alike, some might look similar, but not the same. Some leave you cold, and some you just warm to instantly...

I've always found the ones I like playing with are not the ones I like to look at though.

Stingray / Jazz Bass either is perfect for Funk, along with a myriad of other basses. Get to a shop and try them all! including the ugly duckling in the corner.

You might find that some folk on Basschat live close to you.
You might want to put up your area and ask if anybody, relatively close to you, has any of those basses and would they let you come and try them.

I notice you are still in education, so you might like to take mum, dad or big brother with you.

Most bassists will be happy to encourage new folk "into the light".
Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Karl.

[quote name='lawetlatla' timestamp='1418921126' post='2634913']
Thanks to everyone that helped! I managed to play both today in a music shop & I'm definitely reassured that my initial decision for a Stingray was the right one
[/quote]

Go for either the HS or HH version of the Stingray. Gives you the Stingray feel, tone and look but also gives you loads more versatility.