Why become a member? ×

Reel to Reel Tape Recorders.

ambient

Not so strange. You get all that lovely analogue warmth and saturation by recording to tape. There are plug-ins that will do a good job - I'm thinking VintageWarmer2 from PSP, which I use for mastering all the time - but there's nothing like the reel thing.
Did you see what I did there? :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1418772489' post='2633322']
No it's a great idea. Those lovely ampex reels spinning around in the corner..
I have no idea about buying these but will follow your quest.
[/quote]

They're not that expensive on eBay, I guess I don't actually need a multitrack either, mono would probably do, just record 1 track at a time onto it.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1418772651' post='2633327']
How fantastically retro of you! They take a bit of TLC by comparison with digital gear, but if you find a well maintained one, you'll have great fun with it.

[url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar10/articles/taperecorderadvice.htm"]http://www.soundonso...orderadvice.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that link, some interesting reading there :)

If you're looking for a bit of tape colouration within a mostly digital setup, I've known people who track to digital then bounce tracks to tape almost as an effect. The advantage is that you can get away with a two or four track tape machine (so you can afford a better machine for the price) and still have the flexibility of tracking digitally.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1418773106' post='2633333']
If you're looking for a bit of tape colouration within a mostly digital setup, I've known people who track to digital then bounce tracks to tape almost as an effect. The advantage is that you can get away with a two or four track tape machine (so you can afford a better machine for the price) and still have the flexibility of tracking digitally.
[/quote]

Great idea, a bit like I was thinking of recording one track at a time, then bouncing to digital.

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1418772914' post='2633332']

Thanks for that link, some interesting reading there :)
[/quote]

No problem. It sounds as if you would be happy with a 2 track, in which case you will be able to get a high spec one for the same price as a lower end multi track. IIRC, Revox were the ubiquitous choice for most serious home recordists and smaller studios, and I think that's covered in the article. Post Christmas is a great time to buy too - as the new year resolution to get rid of some old gear, coincides with the post Christmas skint ness, so eBay and Gumtree could turn up some bargains. Let us all know what you do in the end.

Guest Jecklin

I've wanted a stereo reel to reel for a long time. I just love the look of them.

You could gig with one too Ambient - great prop ion stage!!

Or perhaps something like this ( watch to the end) :

http://youtu.be/mEbcuzzwPWs

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1418772125' post='2633316']
I really want one :)

Anyone know anything about them ?

I plan to record onto it, then put that into Logic Pro.

Possibly maybe a strange idea :)

:)
[/quote]

No not at all. However speaking as someone who has done multi-track recording on reel-to-reel recently there are some things you should take into consideration.

You'll only get any real benefit out of this kind of work flow if:

1. You get a decent professional quality multitrack recorder. Tascam and Fostex machines simply aren't built well enough for anything other than casual use. Look for something like an Otari as a minimum. Quality is down to tape speed and track width. That means IME 15ips second as a minimum speed and at least 1/4" per track. Ideally 1" tape for 8 tracks and 2" tape for 16 or 24 tracks.

2. You need to keep it well maintained and calibrated. That means buying a good set of calibration tapes and running them before every session you use the machine. Also you'll need to budget for regular maintenance of the heads and tape transport.

3. Get some decent tapes to do your recording on. Something like 3M or Zonal. No Ampex 456 it hasn't stood the test of time very well. Be warned even pre-used multitrack tape is expensive.

4. Invest in some really good A-D converters for the transfer from tape to your computer otherwise you are completely wasting your time, and then you would be far better off using plugins to achieve the same effect. RME would be the minimum standard IMO. You also need to have enough channels on your interface to be able to transfer all the tracks in a single go (unless you want to get involved in time-code synchronisation issues).

Hope that helps. Have fun.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1418796657' post='2633393']
I've wanted a stereo reel to reel for a long time. I just love the look of them.

[media]http://youtu.be/mEbcuzzwPWs[/media]
[/quote]

That was bloody marvellous!

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1418796657' post='2633393']

[media]http://youtu.be/mEbcuzzwPWs[/media]
[/quote]

That's brilliant, thanks for posting the link :)

A stereo one would do me, that's probably what I'm going to get.