Why become a member? ×

Guitarist quits...new guitarist joins. Long day.

AndyTravis

Started a new band last year after a 12-month break.

All mates, and my brother.

Did a gig in July, and some people dropped out which I didn't have an issue with as it took us down to a five piece; as a business proposition it seemed to make sense too.

Anyhow, we've been rehearsing, amassing gear and shaping a set, then recently doing gigs and getting a bit of a name going for ourselves.

Then my brother (guitarist) sent a message to us all today saying his time was done, and wouldn't be honouring gigs on the way.

I knew it was coming, and it didn't come as a shock.

So, 12pm we were all a bit down.

By 9pm tonight, a mate had been in touch and offered himself up...it's so handy; he's bloody good, enthusiastic and owns his own guitar shop.

When I mentioned the band he just exploded, "I was gonna ask if you fancied starting a band, this is mental - now the shop's sorted, I've got the time to play again...when can I come down?!"

Funny how things work out.

And if my brother wants back in, he's more than welcome - plenty of room on the bus.

Back to being excited, rather than the sense of doubt looming.

I think my point is that sometimes, panicking will get you nowhere, and not fighting to keep hold of people can work out well.

Edited by AndyTravis

Brilliant!

I know exactly what you mean, my old band lost two and gained one for six months or so and we didn't skip a beat. In fact we went to a really cool place with our sound trying out some ska/old school punk rather than the pop-punk stuff we had been playing.

That said, when our original guitarist swapped back in when he was feeling up for it again it was just as good a feeling.

Sometimes change works for everyone :)

Yeah, I just knew that it was coming so didn't ask why or ask him to reconsider.

If I'd pushed him on there would've been resentment and that just wouldn't do.

And enthusiasm from our new guy will pick is back up - he's great fun to be around, and had just got a knack for picking up tunes.

Played with him at a big birthday bash a couple of months ago where I was the sit-in bassist and he dropped in and out through the course of the night.

Looking forward to it now, was dreading the drums, bass and two vocals rehearsal on Monday, or having to take my guitar along and not play bass.