Why become a member? ×

How to use reverb and delay

Twincam

I have been messing around with reverb im still not sure what to use it for. It seems a little adds something to the bass, but anymore just seems to make you sound like playing in a cathedral.

What other effects go well with it?

Also how would it be used in a band or jamming context?.

While i was writing about reverb i thought i also would like to know the deal on delay,ive messed about with it and really not sure how it is to be used.

I think of reverb and short delays as adding ambience to an instrument; you're clearly trying to replicate the characteristics of a performance space and to my ears it works well with chorus/detune used with a fretless bass. For me it seems to make an electric instrument sound a little more like an acoustic if that makes any sense? Longer delays are useful when you want to play around with the effect itself, doubling lines and adding complexity; probably useful in solos. To understand what combining chorus and a really short delay sounds like together just listen to Peter Hook's bass.

@Twincam - though I can't tell you exactly what effects Jon Evans is putting his bass through during Tori Amos's 'Precious Things', I'm pretty certain it involves a ton of reverb particularly during the intro, same for guitarist Steve Caton...

http://youtu.be/TjXZrzmdnAE?list=PLBAD5D456212BB401

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1418823136' post='2633683']
I don't like either on bass. I'm constantly surprised by just how many people on here seem to use them.
[/quote]

It depends what you're doing. If you're playing punk or straight rock it's never going to work!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1418835620' post='2633902']
It depends what you're doing. If you're playing punk or straight rock it's never going to work!
[/quote]

Quite. I only ever use reverb or delay when recording.
I'd never use it live, as it makes the sound very indistinct and woolly, when you're generally trying to achieve the opposite.

There's a place for them on solo bass live, but in a band context I wouldn't bother.

Edited by discreet

Most of the time guitarists will use reverb to make something sound like it's being played in a much larger room, and therefore more dare I say 'epic' feeling, and to help a solo cut through the mix.
I would maybe use it in conjunction with another effect to give it a bit more ambience and depth, but don't see why I would use it on it's own with a bass.

You can set a delay up so that it gives you a touch of 'slap back' which is like it's bounching off a wall close to you to amplify what you have just played. usually this is a very subtle effect. Or you can set it just right for a song you're playing and make it sound like a double note. (Or make people believe you're double thumb slapping when you're not)

Or just throw in a phaser and put them all on maximum and you'll make some awesome sci-fi effects...

Edited by Old_Ben

I use delay all the time when practicing. It removes the dryness of bass on its own and stops practice becoming boring. I also find (depending on the setting) that it can carry over harmony you can play against which I also find useful.

Never used it at a gig before though...

Edited by skej21

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1418819194' post='2633616']
I think of reverb and short delays as adding ambience to an instrument; you're clearly trying to replicate the characteristics of a performance space and to my ears it works well with chorus/detune used with a fretless bass. For me it seems to make an electric instrument sound a little more like an acoustic if that makes any sense? Longer delays are useful when you want to play around with the effect itself, doubling lines and adding complexity; probably useful in solos. To understand what combining chorus and a really short delay sounds like together just listen to Peter Hook's bass.
[/quote]

I get you. I have often wondered about Peter Hook's sound.

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1418838320' post='2633950']
Or just throw in a phaser and put them all on maximum and you'll make some awesome sci-fi effects...
[/quote]

Yeah i bet. Did a little experiment with octave bass, flanger or chorus and reverb earlier on. I don't think the neighbors were impressed most of wondered wtf i was doing. Didn't even get the chance to throw in max gain as they were banging on the wall (again). I need to invest in headphones that can handle actual low frequencies.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418837548' post='2633938']
...I'd never use it live, as it makes the sound very indistinct and woolly, when you're generally trying to achieve the opposite...
[/quote]
Well, not always. I played in an instrumental band for a while, and for certain sections I was creating soundscapes using all manner of effects

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1418838320' post='2633950']
...and to help a solo cut through the mix...
[/quote]

IME, reverb helps instruments "sit" in a mix, rather than "cut". If something is cutting through the mix, but sounds like it's right next to your ear, then add reverb to help it "sit"

Guest FretNoMore

I use a touch of reverb or a very short delay with electric upright bass, I think that adds to the illusion and makes the sound a bit more double bass like. Overdo it and it turns to mush though, it should be barely audible really.

Delay or reverb can also be effective with synth bass sounds, makes them really big. Works best with slower bass lines or drones though.

It can also be beautiful with fretless bass, but maybe mostly for solo type playing.

As already said, for rock it's not that useful.

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1418974675' post='2635300']
As already said, for rock it's not that useful.
[/quote]

I think Justin Chancellor would disagree with you.

Probably Jon Stockman too, and his legion of bass-playing fans! ;)

I think they use these effects pretty well to be fair though, though they both have pretty bright tones and it's often for high, melodic, textural parts.

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1418982993' post='2635389']

I think Justin Chancellor would disagree with you.

Probably Jon Stockman too, and his legion of bass-playing fans! ;)

I think they use these effects pretty well to be fair though, though they both have pretty bright tones and it's often for high, melodic, textural parts.
[/quote]

This!