Why become a member? ×

SOLD PLEASE REMOVE
£600

samuelcroberts

Value [s]£600[/s] [s]£550[/s] £400

Hello all,

I'm selling my trusty old modified Fender P (now a PJ) fretless, which I've had for over 12 years now. This bass has quite the Frankenstein vibe, but has served me well! Alas, it's not used much anymore and I have a new build commencing soon, so I'm freeing up some cash and space.

This instrument was once a 2001/02 USA Fender P bass. All that remains from the original is the body, bridge, scratch plate and 3 of the 4 tuners. See photos below for more of an idea. Specs (as far as I can remember) are as follows:

- 34" scale 4-string fretless with 21 position neck
- fairly lightweight ash body finished in a sort of translucent creamy white
- fretless neck made by Warmoth: Goncalo Alves fingerboard with Pau Ferro neck (I THINK!!!! Was ordered a while ago)
- Hipshot extender on the E-string (also have the original tuner and will of course include that)
- Bartolini P and J pickups (8S split coil and 9J-L1 single coil, if I remember correctly) wired with 2 volumes and a tone control
- strung with and set up for Thomastik Jazz flatwounds (nice vintage sound and lovely for fretless in my opinion)
- original Fender hard case included

This bass has been gigged, gigged and gigged so there are a few marks/nicks. The scratch plate is heavily scratched for some reason. Not sure why, as I seldom use a pick, but what can you do! ...Well you can just buy a new scratch plate if you want... Some of the marks are from installing my own DIY finger ramp. Either way, photos should show this wear and tear. Body also has a few dings, mainly on it's bottom. Again, photos should show any wear.

Bass has been completely cleaned to the best of my ability (inside, outside and electronics). Looking for around [s]£600[/s] [s]£550[/s] £400. No trades please. Based in Birmingham, but can ship at buyers expense (will get a quote if it comes to that).

Here's a link to a very short sound file of the bass: [url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/38jx58wqlyk7m35/P%3AJ%20Bass%20sound%20samples.mp3?dl=0."]https://www.dropbox....mples.mp3?dl=0.[/url] Recorded direct into Logic, no EQing or anything, just the plain bass sound. Sound clip goes neck p/u, both together then bridge.

Very happy to answer any questions, queries etc., so do get in touch!

Edited by samuelcroberts

Thats a lovely bass! I have 2 Wormoth basses and they are amazing quality!

That looks like a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Goncalo Alves neck with an ebony fingerboard to me. Pau Ferro is similar in colour to the Goncalo Alves but a deeper brown. :) [/font][/color]

Cheers for the comment mate! The Warmoth neck is absolutely lovely.

It's definitely not an ebony fingerboard, as I remember specifically not choosing it because of price at the time. Looks like it though and appreciate the keen eye! All I can remember from ordering the neck is that one of the woods is Goncalo Alves!!! Haha! My other basses have ebony fingerboards and the feel is similar to this one though.

My spec update would be: warmoth goncalo alves, maybe pau ferro, maybe ebony but probbly not neck! :D

Hey ikay,

Thanks for the message.

Neck is a P profile, but feels slightly less chunky than the original neck to my hands. Width at nut is 43mm, weight is approx. 4.8kg and the neck does not have graphite reinforcement, so one would assume it has the normal steel.

Do let me know if you want any further info!

Sam

Wow! Can't believe this bass is still here
If it was lined, I'd be thinking of buying this, to upgrade my Squier VM fretless.....
Maybe it's just that time of year - but can't think why it hasn't been snapped up at this price :o

GLWTS mate
PS. would you describe the neck profile as more Jazz-like, or old-stlye P?