Why become a member? ×

Luthier - who to go to?

Mr_Bond

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1418830469' post='2633804']
Depends what you want, I would suggest talking to a few different ones and seeing who you prefer communication with!
[/quote]

This.

IME the best way is to find someone who is already making something very close to what you want and checking that they are on the right wavelength to be sympathetic to the changes that you want to make.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1418831597' post='2633828']
It would be handy if you could see some of the Luthier's previous work before committing to a build.
[/quote]

This! There's plenty of luthiers who simply do customised versions of already popular guitars that won't be suitable for a totally custom design.

Probably best to work out your budget, be prepared to wait 6 months for the build to be done and learn to compromise when an idea won't work.

Did a quote for someone a while ago, his son wanted a Rickenbacker 330 type guitar and thought it'd be better getting a custom build, told him I could build something that'd blow the socks off a 330 starting at £1,700 on a 6 month build time. His budget was about £500 and I came to the conclusion that I'm mostly just going to build instruments for myself and very close friends. No profit in that as I'd have been doing it mostly to gain experience and an hourly rate of well under minimum wage.

Sure there's going to be plenty of people willing to offer advice but feel free to drop me a PM, might be able to point you in the right direction.