Why become a member? ×

old bass...what would you do with it?

jjojjas

in around 1987/88 I dragged my mother along to a guitar shop in Washington in NE England (Vamps if anyone lives that way on). I left with an Ibanez CT1. A budget 4 string with a skinny as hell neck. I learned to play (badly) on that bass and for years it moved around with me as I wandered in and out of playing bass as life passed by.

Other basses and guitars came and went and the Ibanez just hung around, sometimes in a gigbag under the bed, sometimes on a stand in the corner of the room.

Now I play a Fender Jazz and the Ibanez is shot. The frets were refinished a few times over the years and now they need changing....the neck has twisted and has a hairline crack in the knot in the back of the neck (yes...i bought a bass with a knot in the neck)...the body is made up of about four pieces of plywood and half a stone of filler and the pickups were replaced a decade ago when the others died.

It just sits in the guitar stand taking up space.

What would you do with it? I'm not usually one for sentimental attachment to a lump of cracked wood... but I'm not sure if I should throw it or not....

Jas

If you are not sentimentally attached to it and it's of no real use to you then move it on. If you sell it on or put it on ebay you should really present an accurate description, warts n all so don't expect to get much money from it. It doesn't sound worth keeping as a backup to me.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1418829881' post='2633786']
Might be one for the skip... :blink:
[/quote]
[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1418830234' post='2633791']
I sold my first bass. It's just stuff :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1418831677' post='2633830']
I dont get attached to basses, they are just bits of wood and metal. Tools for the job.
[/quote]
[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1418834399' post='2633878']
I wish I'd never sold my first bass. Hang it on the wall or something
[/quote]
[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1418834571' post='2633883']
Likewise, I wish I'd never sold my first bass :(
[/quote]

The usual Basschat concensus of opinion! :D

Only the OP can judge how much the bass means to him, and whether it is worth keeping. But once it's gone - it's gone.

Stick it in the loft. Ideal compromise :)

Don't get rid of it. I gave away my first bass recently (i got it in 1989) and have regretted it ever since.
I'm sentimental though.

Do you have fretless? If not, why don't you defret the old bass? Giving it a unique purpose could give you a good reason to keep it.

Edited by James Nada

Now you've got a nice bass and if the Ibanez really is as bad as you describe, stick it on eBay as a project and it's done. I had an old bass for years too, didn't play it and moved it around etc etc. I decided to 'treat myself' and the old one just went, because I knew I'd never play it again. Do it miss it? Nope.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1418847657' post='2634101']
I've still got by first bass. there is nothing left on the frets and the last time I loosened the strings the nut fell out. I keep it in the wardrobe if that helps.
[/quote]
When old basses get interesting - that's a Shaftesbury rebranded Eko, not too many of those about. Collectable, if not exactly worth a fortune!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1418847950' post='2634103']

When old basses get interesting - that's a Shaftesbury rebranded Eko, not too many of those about. Collectable, if not exactly worth a fortune!

J.
[/quote]

This one has a burns tri-sonic pick up in ( mono-sonic?) so probably not that collectible. In its favour it's a shorty so it doesn't take up too much wardrobe space :)