Why become a member? ×

Audacity effects question...

solo4652

At rehearsal last night, I used a Line 6 Backtrack with on-board mic to record a song. I had the mic gain set to Auto. The recording has very pronounced volume changes throughout - I'm wondering if it's the mic "hunting" for the right gain setting.

Anything I can do with the effects available on Audacity to smooth the recording out? I've tried Compressor and Normalise, bur with little real success. After that, I'm just applying effects at random, which is no good.

All help and advice gratefully received,

Steve

I dont know about Audacity , but if it is purely a volume issue , try using Reaper , you can open the volume envelope ( a track that is purely a volume tracker) and adjust up and down at the points you need to , it would be a bit of a PITA , but if compression wont sort it and it is worth keeping it might be worth the effort .

I've put it on Audacity, see what you mean, it seems to be when the guitar (or keyboard) is cutting out or getting lower in volume, if you can be bothered you can do what I suggested earlier and amplify the quiet bits, but the guitar (or keyboard) still isn't there, obviously

Thanks for your comments. If the guitar and/or keys have not been recorded properly in the first place, then it's no surprise that Compressor, Leveller, Normalise in Audacity aren't bringing them up in the mix. Maybe the big changes in volume were just too much for the auto-gain on the little Line 6 to track quickly and accurately. It's not an especially sophisticated recorder, after all. Maybe I'll just set the mic gain to Low next time. Better still, I'll use my Zoom Q3.