Why become a member? ×

New (Old) Amp Day - Trace AH350SMX

Deedee

[color=#222222]Hi all[/color]

[color=#222222]Just had my first play (albeit quietly at home) on my new toy, a mid-nineties AH350SMX in all its grey tolex glory.[/color]

[color=#222222]I recently owned an AH600SMX that was a little newer, which was great but just didn't have the same sound as my 1993 250smx, so I've been choosing to use that all the time. This 350 is from around the same era (continuous line fascia) as the 250 and it sounds awesome. I can't wait to get it cranked up. [/color]

[color=#222222]This really is a time warp head :D [/color]

Edited by Deedee

They are truly beasts, but at the prices they are now they're also absolute bargains. Top, top quality kit for very little money.

They do weigh a fair bit (the AH600 weighs about the same as a small car) but they're worth it for the sound you get. I currently still have a GB Streamliner and great though it is, there's a definite difference between 'loudness' and 'power'. Trace has power and that's why I can't keep away from them.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1419419486' post='2639738']
Ah, memories. Same as my old head. Loved it, but was a beast to cart around and sold it when old age made it difficult to carry. Never had to run it at much more than half power - clean and pokey and very reliable. Enjoy it.
[/quote]

I certainly will. Can't wait to get over this Christmas break and get rehearsing/gigging with it.

I use a 1997 GP12SMX head, Ah300. The thing is a tone monster. Solid state and valve pre-amp blend is a great feature. 2 band compressor is really effective and the amp has more flexibility than any other I've used. It's got a certain fatness and punch to the notes that lightweight class D's (that I've tried) just don't have. It was Stuart Zender that turned me onto Trace. He still has the greatest tone I've ever heard, live especially.

Edited by 40hz

:D
Thanks for the congratulations. I really am chuffed to bits with it.

+1 to the above comment regarding Class D heads. To me there just seems to be something missing.

With regards to cost, I picked it up for £250 which was the same that I bought (and then sold) my AH600SMX for. As with any of these old trace heads, you get a hell of a lot of amp for your money.

I'm still after a bit of guidance on a suitable footswitch for it though? :huh: Edited by Deedee