Why become a member? ×

Over 60 & Still In The Game, What's It Like For You

blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1418897102' post='2634512']
I'm soon to be 63 and have now been playing in public since 1968 on various instruments.

I consider myself lucky in that I honestly believe that I grew up at the best time in musical history.
[/quote]

Time Stamp, It's a fact, we did grow up in at least the best time in rock and roll history.

Blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1418915915' post='2634812']
Unfortunately yes, which is why I so rarely play or listen to music anymore.
[/quote]

[i]"Rehashed a thousand or a million times, for me it's still rock and roll, still exciting, still fun to listen to and especially to play."[/i]

Blue

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1418921735' post='2634922']
Reference to Rock n Roll history is interesting. Each of us might have a different take on that. Significance for my generation is largely being overlooked (still) by our baby boomer parents through sheer numbers and control of the media as much as anything. These days when I hear a reference to the songs that defined my childhood, a small part of me cheers. Beach Boys, Beatles etc. are all very well but they're not really a part of my upbringing even though I respect their status as classic bands.

Disco rules, it defined my childhood and still defines my tastes.
[/quote]

You nailed it, most of our passions lie in what was happening when we were growing up. I was 10 years old when all those British bands came to the US and not only gave us great new exciting sounds they also brought our attention to our own American music.

Unfortunately us Baby Boomers are always going to win the argument with a simple where are your;[list]
[*]Lennon & McCartney's
[*]Beatles
[*]Stones (are there any bands from the 80s or 90s still filling stadiums)
[*]Mick Jaggers
[*]James Browns
[*]Aretha Franklins
[*]Al Greens
[*]Carol Kings
[*]Laura Nyros
[/list]
On an on and on.

Sorry for the old guy rant, but these facts are tough to argue.

Blue

Edited by blue

In my band we`re late 40s/early 50s. Brought up on punk, and still playing in an originals hardcore punk band. In the last 10 years I`ve played heavy rock covers, heavy rock originals, classic punk covers, indie-odd originals, and now my current offerings. In all of those bands here have been a couple of younger musicians but mostly it`s been people of the same age as myself. I think we just seem to have been brought up on live music a little more. When I was younger, the majority of people in pubs watching bands were the same age as me, people over 30 generally weren`t around - and I`m talking covers bands as well as originals and if they were they looked out of place. Nowadays, I find most venues I go to, the punters are still the same age as me, but now it`s the younger ones that seem like they`ve gatecrashed if they`re around, however I welcome that, great to see younger people watching grass-roots gigs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1418945918' post='2635209']
Nowadays, I find most venues I go to, the punters are still the same age as me, but now it`s the younger ones that seem like they`ve gatecrashed if they`re around, however I welcome that, great to see younger people watching grass-roots gigs.
[/quote]

Interesting while we have a 29 year old female front the rest of us are over 60. We can get really good crowds, however the under 25 bolt for the exit as soon as they see a live band is playing.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1418945345' post='2635204']
You nailed it, most of our passions lie in what was happening when we were growing up. I was 10 years old when all those British bands came to the US and not only gave us great new exciting sounds they also brought our attention to our own American music.

Unfortunately us Babby Boomers are always going to win the argument with a simple where are your;[list]
[*]Lennon & McCartney's
[*]Beatles
[*]Stones (are there any bands from the 80s or 90s still filling stadiums)
[*]Mick Jaggers
[*]James Browns
[*]Aretha Franklins
[*]Al Greens
[*]Carol Kings
[*]Laura Nyros
[/list]
On an on and on.

Sorry for the old guy rant, but these facts are tough to argue.

Blue
[/quote]

Any argument that can be "won" with nothing more than personal preferences isn't worth having.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1418947572' post='2635223']
Any argument that can be "won" with nothing more than personal preferences isn't worth having.
[/quote]

Hi Time Stamp,

That list is not personal preference it's historical fact.

Much respect

Blue

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1418948119' post='2635226']
I'm sure there were people back in the 60s asking where the younger generations' Cole Porter or Irving Berlin were too...
[/quote]

And we had answers, Lennon & McCartney, Hal David & Burt [i]Bacharach[/i] to name a few. The Cole Port and Irving Berlin generation had a lot in common with the 60s. Both, very prolific periods in popular music that generated "once in a life time" songs and artists.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1418856065' post='2634224']
One of my concerns is dealing with younger musicians that have a limited knowledge in terms of rock and roll history, how it started and evolved into what it is today.

Blue
[/quote]

I always think you try to start good threads that generate a lot of replies. However, when I see you making comments like this I can't help feeling you see yourself as some sort of music Guru and anyone not on the same 'level' as you is not worthy of playing in a band etc. Really....why do you have a concern with younger musicians having limited knowledge of R&R history?. I think there are bigger, more important times in history that younger people are not aware of.........now that is a concern.

Keep up the new threads :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1418857403' post='2634250']
I would view that as a positive thing, means they're less likely to spend their time rehashing all the old rock'n'roll cliches that have already been done to death a thousand times over.
[/quote]

They will, you know. Because they won't realise they're cliches ... B)

There are relevant artists today and there are up and down times through the RnR ages...
You could argue that the bands like the Stones and the Who etc etc are poor versions of
themselves and they are largely touring bands. When did they release anything anygood of late..??
But then again..why bother.. they sell out doing their catalogue...

People are still interested in music, it is just they are after stuff we don't know about or have any interest in..
We get plenty of mid twenties at our gigs and take party bookings for that age group.... but they aren't the core
demographic that support local live music...
The problem I have with younger muso's is that they can play but that is just about it... probably the same as we all were
at their age...??

I'm some way off being 60 yet
But I'm heartened to learn of so many people over 60, who are still playing regularly
I certainly intend to go on for as long as I can

I've played with a lot of different musicians over the past 2 years or so
Most of them a fair bit younger than me
Some of the younger players have surprised me, with their lack of knowledge re musical past
and influences etc
But then equally, some have surprised me as to just how much they know
and the sheer range of their own influences

Many have been far more open-minded than I was, at their young age
This too, is really positive IMO

When I first played bass, my rig was huge and heavy, and gave me 150W
Now it's a quarter of the size, a third of the weight
..... and more than 3 times the power!
Now, for someone of advancing years - that's what I call progress :)

Most of that "rock n'roll history" was made by people who were young and dumb with little respect for their elders. Even a band like the Beatles started out with simple pop songs and got more sophisticated later. Early on, I'm sure none of them would have cut it as working musicians playing the popular music of the 1940s or earlier.
If musicians are still starting out with that attitude I'd say the genre is in good health. If not, it will become fossilised, an exercise in pastiche and imitation. Some would say that is happening already...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1418986374' post='2635452']
Cool, there is the potential for at least 21 more years bass service in me. I might even be competent by then ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the other thing. I'm in my 30s myself, but I've jammed with quite a few older musicians. A lot of those guys can really play but tend to be less flash and more economical about it than younger players who've attained that level of ability. I'm kind of looking forward to that...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1418977161' post='2635325']
I always think you try to start good threads that generate a lot of replies. However, when I see you making comments like this I can't help feeling you see yourself as some sort of music Guru and anyone not on the same 'level' as you is not worthy of playing in a band etc. Really....why do you have a concern with younger musicians having limited knowledge of R&R history?. I think there are bigger, more important times in history that younger people are not aware of.........now that is a concern.

Keep up the new threads :)
[/quote]

I'm not a Guru and there are young musicians that I'm probably not worthy of playing in a band with. And yes there are bigger more important times in history that a lot of us are not aware of.

Blue

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1418986064' post='2635449']
Most of that "rock n'roll history" was made by people who were young and dumb with little respect for their elders. Even a band like the Beatles started out with simple pop songs and got more sophisticated later. Early on, I'm sure none of them would have cut it as working musicians playing the popular music of the 1940s or earlier.
If musicians are still starting out with that attitude I'd say the genre is in good health. If not, it will become fossilised, an exercise in pastiche and imitation. Some would say that is happening already...
[/quote]

Good point!

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418982355' post='2635379']
There are relevant artists today and there are up and down times through the RnR ages...
You could argue that the bands like the Stones and the Who etc etc are poor versions of
themselves and they are largely touring bands. When did they release anything anygood of late..??
But then again..why bother.. they sell out doing their catalogue...[/quote]

Well, there is no more Top 40 so it's hard to know what is a hit and where it stands against other songs. Back in the 60s, I knew what No 1, 2 and 3 were.

I think you only get 1 or 2 prolific periods of prolific socially relevant releases. I am a huge Stones fan, I don't expect or want to hear new material from them. I only want to hear the old catalog and I think they know that.

Blue