Why become a member? ×

Tonehammer - no sound on bypass

mattyb

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did search but came up blank. I just got a second hand tonehammer in the post today but when it's off I'm not getting any signal though. Is this normal or is there a switch somewhere to enable that? Just wondering before contacting the seller to claim its faulty (if it is faulty that is)

Thanks!

Just asked the seller and he claimed that he thought this was normal behaviour and that he believes a previous 'ordered it modified' and is a wire mod on the switch, rather than a failure.

Obviously I'm a bit peeved as it's cleared been tinkered with, but where would I stand with paypal on this? I didn't send the money as a gift but shipping it back to Spain could possibly cost more than getting it put back to normal!

So I had a look inside and I can see that one of the switches has definately been changed, but also it looks like wires out of the DI have been snipped and heat shrink put around them. I think it's going to be about £15-£20 to send it back to Spain but I think that may be the best option as the seller has no indicated that he arranged to have (or did himself) the mod - so it's pretty clear to me that he knew about it. Wick altogether! Does anyone have courier recommendations to Spain?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418988126' post='2635473']
Did you buy on here..??
[/quote]

I didn't, it was through one of those 'Bass Equipment for sale' Facebook groups. I'm glad decided against sending the money as a gift however, as I'd be out of luck in this situation!

Bit of an update : I contacted the seller, he said he would take the return so I opened a return case on paypal. Very quickly the seller came back to me insisting I close the case and 'sort this out as gentlemen' - He wanted me to return the item and on its return to him, trust that he would refund the money. This set of alarm bells in my head so I've sent this information through to paypal as a claim, and kept it through official channels.

I hope I didn't react to harshly, but I'm very waring of being had, especially with international sales and putting trust in strangers.

[quote name='mattyb' timestamp='1419009912' post='2635725']
Bit of an update : I contacted the seller, he said he would take the return so I opened a return case on paypal. Very quickly the seller came back to me insisting I close the case and 'sort this out as gentlemen' - He wanted me to return the item and on its return to him, trust that he would refund the money. This set of alarm bells in my head so I've sent this information through to paypal as a claim, and kept it through official channels.

I hope I didn't react to harshly, but I'm very waring of being had, especially with international sales and putting trust in strangers.
[/quote]

I think you did the right thing. Don't close the case until you have your money back.
Any modifications like that should have been disclosed before the sale. I would not trust on "sorting this out as gentlemen". If he's a gentleman he won't suffer through the Paypal return, so nothing to worry about, right?