Why become a member? ×

Flux FX Effects For Bass by Adrian Belew..........

paulmcnamara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Nick from NOIISE here [the devs of [url="http://bit.ly/flux_fx"]FLUX:FX[/url]] - just trawling the webs for reviews/mentions etc. We would be very interested to hear how you got along with the app! We did quite some testing with the app on bass, using an Ibanez SRX700, an ESP 5string fretless and a Landscape EUB 'swing'. Suffice to say it performs awesomely on bass, but that easy for me to say :)

Any questions let me know!

Yes, been putting the app through its paces using the Alesis IO Dock 2. First impressions: great! I really like the package of the app, well laid out, can be used in a fairly simple way or if you want to dig deeper re editing you can. Five simultaneous effects, an xy pad and a sequencer to vary effects over time.
This app is going to take some getting used to, as is the dock, but it is showing great potential. Sonically I am very impressed.
I have been using a Zoom B3 a bit, and so am using that as a vague reference point. Flux doesn't have the amp/cab simulations and has fewer effects in each class, but that shouldn't be considered as a problem. As with gentle tweaking and storing one can get a good palette of sounds. What I do like is the ability to jump from Flux FX on my iPad to Garageband to my tuner..... Its good to have everything at hand. Using the 'Audiobus' app and others like it, it is possible to link Flux up with other apps which really make it very flexible. So you can drive Flux FX with say Moog Animoog synth app and send it either out to your amp or send it to another app on your iPad i.e. Garageband....... I'm beginning to see how it is a way of working as much as it is about a new effects unit. So far so good!

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1420131563' post='2645941']
Yes, been putting the app through its paces using the Alesis IO Dock 2. First impressions: great! I really like the package of the app, well laid out, can be used in a fairly simple way or if you want to dig deeper re editing you can. Five simultaneous effects, an xy pad and a sequencer to vary effects over time.
[/quote]
Thanks for the update and the kind words! Very much appreciated.
Just want to add a couple of comments - regarding comparisons with Zoom B3 and similar: FLUX:FX is not really designed to replace these kind of units [...although you could], it was more intended to compliment them. For example, Adrian Belew uses an Axe-fx II for most of his tones, but he has the FLUX:FX app running in a parallel chain to add a bunch of extra stuff that you cant really do any other way. This is why we don't have speaker/amp sims in there, and we concentrate on building blocks of creative effects. That being said, with the full-spec studio compressor and ultra EQ built into the app, you can get some amazing out-of-the-box bass tones from this thing :)

Regarding the tuner in garageband: is this something you would like to see inside FLUX:FX? We are putting together the list of features to add to our updates so we can keep enhancing the app.

I am in the very early stages of messing with it but I will say that the octaver is great, tracking lower than an OC2. My hi-fi speakers don't comfortably go that low so I will have to fire up my rig to accurately report what it actually goes down to.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1420198264' post='2646535']
I am in the very early stages of messing with it but I will say that the octaver is great, tracking lower than an OC2. My hi-fi speakers don't comfortably go that low so I will have to fire up my rig to accurately report what it actually goes down to.
[/quote]

Yes, you can get dangerously low with the octave shift as we dont pre-filter the signal like most guitar effects do. It likes a compressed signal also, so putting the compressor before it can help tracking even more. We are looking at adding a +12 shift to this in the future for extra flexibility.

Having a great deal of fun with this. Like the individual effects as good as anything I have tried. Only downside is my iPad mini is really struggling to run it. The more interesting sequence relate patches are clicking most if the time and it does hang up. Not a criticism of the app more an observation on what you need to run it. Would be great on my iMac into digital performer, hint hint.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1420328595' post='2648235']
Having a great deal of fun with this. Like the individual effects as good as anything I have tried. Only downside is my iPad mini is really struggling to run it. The more interesting sequence relate patches are clicking most if the time and it does hang up. Not a criticism of the app more an observation on what you need to run it. Would be great on my iMac into digital performer, hint hint.
[/quote]

Damn it Alan, I'm going to have to down load It now!

If you like weird stuff it is excellent but can do a lot of the more standard stuff. Like the octave shift and the distortion. I would like a tremelo added since it is one of my favourite effects. I wish I had an excuse to get a new generation iPad to run this but I barely use the mini as it is so not likely which is a pity this is a monster if you want to push the sonic limits.

Edited by skelf

[quote name='NOIISE' timestamp='1420026217' post='2644906']
Hi all, Nick from NOIISE here [the devs of [url="http://bit.ly/flux_fx"]FLUX:FX[/url]] - just trawling the webs for reviews/mentions etc. We would be very interested to hear how you got along with the app! We did quite some testing with the app on bass, using an Ibanez SRX700, an ESP 5string fretless and a Landscape EUB 'swing'. Suffice to say it performs awesomely on bass, but that easy for me to say :)

Any questions let me know!
[/quote]

Any plans for an Android version?

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1420408950' post='2649148']
Any plans for an Android version?
[/quote]

Hi Gareth,
unfortunately Android in general doesnt support low enough latency to make a pro-level effects app. There are now a couple of samsung devices that do, but nowhere near enough to make it viable for us which is a pity :(
So for now it is iPad only, and we are working on the iPhone version.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1420480293' post='2649811']
One of the advantages of Apple's hardware standardisation I guess.
Shame, but thank you for letting me know the answer and the reasons why.
[/quote]

No problem. We are also considering making a vst/au version, but this will be down the line. For now we are concentrating on v1.1 of FLUX:FX iOS version!

[size=3]
FLUX:FX v1.0.1 was submitted to the appstore last week. Now we are just waiting for the approval from Apple :) This version is all about little tweaks, bug fixes, robustness and performance optimisation. Slight tweaks in:[/size][list]
[*]Delays, including Pitch Delay
[*]Sample Scratch & Looper-based FX
[*]Reverb, pre-filtering to avoid flooding, now bypassed with FX bypass
[*]FX slots optimised UI adjustments:
[*]Pump description updated
[*]White labels for Latency / Audio in background settings
[*]Added CPU warning label under latency
[*]Added app video preview Optimisations have been made in:
[*]Launch speed
[*]Slightly smoother preset changing
[*]Sequencer grid graphical rendering
[*]General graphical rendering
[*]Memory management
[*]Launch sound removed
[/list][size=3]
These are not major changes, but hopefully they will add to the enjoyment and usage of the app by fixing some of the little quirks. We are also working on a v1.1 which will include some additional small feature improvements [such as a slightly extended MIDI spec].[/size]

[size=3]
FYI - [url="https://www.facebook.com/noiiseaudio"]https://www.facebook.com/noiiseaudio[/url][/size][size=3]
Ready? GO! [b][font=inherit]NAMM sale! 25%-off FLUX:FX until Sunday 25th Jan[/font][/b] If you were on the fence, now is the time to pull the trigger. Grab the app right now while we are waiting for v1.0.1 to get approved. And if you are at NAMM, say hi to Adrian Belew and Daniel Rowland who will be doing demos around the place.[/size][size=3]
[url="http://bit.ly/flux_fx"]http://bit.ly/flux_fx[/url][/size]

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1422229840' post='2670225']
I've been using it since it was released, so far very impressed, it's my go to weird app.

It's incredibly deep and incredibly simple at the same time.

Hopefully I'll have a blog written about it before the end of the week
[/quote]

Thanks @tayste_2000! Looking forward to reading your blog about it :)

• 4 months later...