Why become a member? ×

Which should I get.

Bassman Sam

I going to be 60 on 9th February and my future wife, we marry on 9th March, wants to buy me a new bass for my birthday. We went to see The Who last Saturday and on the way to the gig, popped into Dawson's in Manchester.

I was looking at Squier basses but she liked the look of a Gibson Thunderbird in walnut and said if I liked it, she would get it for me. Well, I have always had GAS for a Thunderbird but I have only played a Epiphone version and thought it was, well, meh. A US Deluxe Precision would be my dream bass but she doesn't like them and she's paying. I will only be playing at home or at the occasional jam night.

I wanted to buy myself a P/J type bass, a lower end Precision or Spector or such like. I have a Bass Collection Nanyo SB310 and like it but I now have the chance of to get a bass at around 1.5K but I'm worried. I have RA and at the moment, I'm pain free and can play but I don't know how long this will last.

What would you do?

If she really loves you, she will get you the bass [i]you[/i] like. ;)

Concerning the T-Bird: you shouldn't judge the TB in general after playing an Epiphone. Those sound totally different. The fundamental tone of a Gibson (!) TB is second to none. So if she insists on the TB, by all means let her get it and you both will be happy. It's a very cool bass.

Edited by Tweedledum

How would she feel if you put money to her contribution and got the bass you REALLY wanted.
Maybe she will think that is trampling all over her present idea..?? but that sounds like the best idea
to me.
Also, buy well here second hand so you could sell for not too much pain should you need to..
All this is far too sensible for a sentimental type present maybe... as you will need her agreement
that the thinking is best you can buy, but good resale value.
If you can pitch around £1500 then if you do sell..that is possibly a good holiday trip for you both..????

Try and get to both PMT in Manchester (Salford really, near the end of the M602) and The Great British Bass Lounge http://greatbritishbasslounge.com/ which is also in the Greater Manchester area, not too far off the M60 - you ought to have a few more contenders among the instruments there.

Give a Gibbo T-Bird a try, you might be pleasantly surprised (am saying this having never played one, so can`t offer any experience there). But, given the RA issue, explain to the missus how the comfortability of an instrument has to be a huge factor, more so than the looks, as if an instrument aggravates the RA, well no point in having it.

I don't have much advice about the specifics but I do want to say something:

I also have RA. Having just bought an American special p-bass because I liked it better than the Mexican and squier - get whatever the heck bass you want. I know your rational mind will think it's a waste, that you may not play it much. Does that mean you are not worthy of your dream bass?

If you/your wife can afford it and are willing, then go with your heart.

Stupid RA. learning the bass on 15 mins a day is slow.

You really do have to try sneak a Tbird trial.
I bought a Yank one in the late 90's after years of lusting.
I absolutely hated the neck on it, and having to hold the thing up as well as fret with my left hand. Poor action that caused a fight with intonation and that neck just felt horrible. My 84 Gibbo Explorer was a completely different, fabulous animal that I should never have sold.
My short ownership of a Tbird certainly cured my GAS for one though :P

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1418900208' post='2634569'] I don't have much advice about the specifics but I do want to say something: I also have RA. Having just bought an American special p-bass because I liked it better than the Mexican and squier - get whatever the heck bass you want. I know your rational mind will think it's a waste, that you may not play it much. Does that mean you are not worthy of your dream bass? If you/your wife can afford it and are willing, then go with your heart. Stupid RA. learning the bass on 15 mins a day is slow. [/quote]

[size=4] After around 6 years, I can finally play for about 45 mins a day on good days. I know that I could get a cheaper bass, well, I have one but to have a top end one will be cool.[/size]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1418899905' post='2634561'] Give a Gibbo T-Bird a try, you might be pleasantly surprised (am saying this having never played one, so can`t offer any experience there). But, given the RA issue, explain to the missus how the comfortability of an instrument has to be a huge factor, more so than the looks, as if an instrument aggravates the RA, well no point in having it. [/quote]

Lozz, you are spot on here. The famous neck dive on a T-bird may just be too much for my RA, PMT Manchester will be my next port of call to see what works for me.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1418910345' post='2634734']
Lozz, you are spot on here. The famous neck dive on a T-bird may just be too much for my RA, PMT Manchester will be my next port of call to see what works for me.
[/quote]

Keep ya mitts off that Gold One. I know I would had it but it just looks so Glam Metal :lol:

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1418910345' post='2634734']
[/quote]

It may well be. I wanted a T-bird (The Epi one) as my first bass. I took one heft of it and said "nope" and handed it back. I'm used to neck dive, I play SG guitars, but this is one step too far, plus it was generally a heavy beast. It wasn't as bad as the SG bass they had, the Epi one which is 34". You could get used to it, but I'd recommend one of them duo-straps to distribute the weight.

For comfort I would recommend looking at the American Special Ps and Js if you're into that sort of thing. It's the reason I got mine out of the others - slim neck, slim, light body, fits like a pair of old jeans.

I'm hoping I can build up my play time as I progress, depending on time of year (I have yearly medication) and other blips.

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1418921825' post='2634924'] It may well be. I wanted a T-bird (The Epi one) as my first bass. I took one heft of it and said "nope" and handed it back. I'm used to neck dive, I play SG guitars, but this is one step too far, plus it was generally a heavy beast. It wasn't as bad as the SG bass they had, the Epi one which is 34". You could get used to it, but I'd recommend one of them duo-straps to distribute the weight. For comfort I would recommend looking at the American Special Ps and Js if you're into that sort of thing. It's the reason I got mine out of the others - slim neck, slim, light body, fits like a pair of old jeans. I'm hoping I can build up my play time as I progress, depending on time of year (I have yearly medication) and other blips. [/quote]

A slim neck is the way to go I think, the T-bird seems to have one. The US P-bass Deluxe has a J width neck as would fit the bill.
I'm on weekly injections for the RA and they have made a hell of a difference. A couple of years ago, I didn't think I would ever be able to play again so there is hope. Good luck with your playing.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1418926705' post='2634982']
A slim neck is the way to go I think, the T-bird seems to have one. The US P-bass Deluxe has a J width neck as would fit the bill.
I'm on weekly injections for the RA and they have made a hell of a difference. A couple of years ago, I didn't think I would ever be able to play again so there is hope. Good luck with your playing.
[/quote]

Careful with that Bassman Sam, some series of the US Deluxe had jazz profile necks but fairly sure the current ones are 41.3 mm nut not 38mm.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1418910189' post='2634732']
After around 6 years, I can finally play for about 45 mins a day on good days. I know that I could get a cheaper bass, well, I have one but to have a top end one will be cool.
[/quote] you're paying enough that you can be picky.... why not see if you can find the bass that is best for your RA so you are able to play it longer? (I'll admit I don't know what it is, but I guess it's some kind of joints or muscle thing that bass playing can aggravate? may be utterly wrong there)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1418933047' post='2635041']
you're paying enough that you can be picky.... why not see if you can find the bass that is best for your RA so you are able to play it longer? (I'll admit I don't know what it is, but I guess it's some kind of joints or muscle thing that bass playing can aggravate? may be utterly wrong there)
[/quote]

RA is rheumatoid arthritis. I have had my right wrist fused and a metal bar put in. It means my wrist can't move up and down. My joints get inflamed and my fingers stiffen up. I find slim necks easier on my left hand which is not so badly affected.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1418936087' post='2635074']
RA is rheumatoid arthritis. I have had my right wrist fused and a metal bar put in. It means my wrist can't move up and down. My joints get inflamed and my fingers stiffen up. I find slim necks easier on my left hand which is not so badly affected.
[/quote]

You'll want a Warwick JD Thumb then. They do pop up second-hand from time to time.

Are there any particular instruments you might favour (apart from a Thunderbird), or ones that you want to avoid altogether?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1418948011' post='2635225'] You'll want a Warwick JD Thumb then. They do pop up second-hand from time to time. Are there any particular instruments you might favour (apart from a Thunderbird), or ones that you want to avoid altogether? [/quote]

A US Fender P/J would be my weapon of choice but I'm willing to try anything. The only Warwick I like the look of is a Dolphin and I think they are custom shop only these days. My lady wants me to have a new bass so any dinks it gets means something to me so S/H is out of the question. Oh, and so are reliced basses.

Dear Sam. :)

Two things strike me - you seem to be looking for a New bass and you want something
that will be comfortable.
You also have quite a budget. :)

Speaking from experience - anything Thunderbird ish - Explorer, Gibson RD etc, is
not the most comfortable thing to play.
Great instruments but not built for comfort.

You like the idea of a P/J - good idea, lots of tonal range.
There are also other things out there.

A good High Quality, "Used" instrument would only break into half of your budget.

Aria SB - 1000, 900, R 60, Elite, SB Special.
All very well balanced and comfortable to play.
A true classic.

Ibanez RB 650. RB920 (single pick-up) - has a lot of tonal range and is possibly
one of the most comfortable basses to play and is light in weight.

Earlier, now becoming more collectable, Peavey Foundation - terrific sounds, fast neck,
not too weighty, and very comfortable.

I could list a load more but the idea is to lean you towards looking at an alternative.

Just a thought.

Cheers. :)

I got a Thunderbird once, I did one gig with it and sold it on, it was not comfortable, despite the skinny neck. The neck feels incredibly long and the band I was in at the time played mostly in F - which was almost out of reach for me. They are not the lightest instruments either, and whilst you can move the strap button to overcome some of the neck dive issues it is still heavy, and has to be played low-slung.

With RA I'd be looking for something more ergonomic personally.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1418976419' post='2635316'] Dear Sam. :) Two things strike me - you seem to be looking for a New bass and you want something that will be comfortable. You also have quite a budget. :) Speaking from experience - anything Thunderbird ish - Explorer, Gibson RD etc, is not the most comfortable thing to play. Great instruments but not built for comfort. You like the idea of a P/J - good idea, lots of tonal range. There are also other things out there. A good High Quality, "Used" instrument would only break into half of your budget. Aria SB - 1000, 900, R 60, Elite, SB Special. All very well balanced and comfortable to play. A true classic. Ibanez RB 650. RB920 (single pick-up) - has a lot of tonal range and is possibly one of the most comfortable basses to play and is light in weight. Earlier, now becoming more collectable, Peavey Foundation - terrific sounds, fast neck, not too weighty, and very comfortable. I could list a load more but the idea is to lean you towards looking at an alternative. Just a thought. Cheers. :) [/quote]

Thanks for the input FlatEric, I think I'll have to get out and try a number of basses to see what suits best. Lightweight is the way forward I think.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1418987172' post='2635462'] I got a Thunderbird once, I did one gig with it and sold it on, it was not comfortable, despite the skinny neck. The neck feels incredibly long and the band I was in at the time played mostly in F - which was almost out of reach for me. They are not the lightest instruments either, and whilst you can move the strap button to overcome some of the neck dive issues it is still heavy, and has to be played low-slung. With RA I'd be looking for something more ergonomic personally. [/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll have to persuade the OH that a Thunderbird is not the best of ideas given the health issues.

This thread has given me food [size=4]for thought. I love the idea of the Thunderbird but it looks like I may have to be a bit more practical. I think a visit to PMT Manchester will be the next more and see what bass I can [/size]realistically cope with. Meanwhile, my Bass Collection SB310[size=4] will be getting the attention it deserves. Thanks for all the input guys.[/size]