Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II

dayes@waltersway.co.uk

Sounds like the early ones as fitted to the SB-1000, SB-900 & others that look like this:

That's one that came off my SB-900 & was utterly mullered. It got very stiff to turn - to the extent that the 'ear' worked loose & fell off, hence the crappy rivet job to hold it in place. When I took it out I found that there was a section of the threaded bit that wasn't there any more. I finally figured out that what caused it was spannering up the locknut too much causing the body of the tuner to bind on the capstan & resulting in the torn out section. I got lucky & found a replacement on Ebay,

AFAIK, there are no direct copies/equivalents of these & Aria ceased to fit them after about 1981/2 or so. Off the shelf I think you're pretty much restricted to Grover 144 or Gotoh Compacts. I believe later Arias used either re-badged Gotohs or copies of 'em.

Neither have a locking facility, but IMO that's not a big deal as the SBs are so stable that it's more trouble than it's worth.

Pete.

That tuner's identical to the ones fitted to my Kasuga Scorpion - so clearly they weren't exclusive to Aria. The only MIJ hardware manufacturers I specifically know of were/are Gotoh & Chushin Gakki but I'm sure there were others, so that's not much help!

These tuners lack the sprung screw on the top of the button which allows torque adjustment on most sealed units - I always assumed the collars were torque adjusters rather than for locking. The same sort of design also appears on tuners used by Yamaha & Tokai, amongst others.

J.