Why become a member? ×

1/2 Size Upright Bass vs 3/4 Size

mickcope

I have just started (newbie) playing Double bass in a Bluegrass Band - using an Old 3/4 Bass - the fiddle player suggested that at lot of bluegrass players use 1/2 as they are now bowing and so don't need the size.

Never having tried a half size - is there much difference in them in terms of the volume of output from the instrument?

cheers

Mick

The double bass as used and understood by just about all non-classical players is 3/4 size. There are some small 3/4 around and some bigger ones, but you should never consider a 1/2 size, at least not to learn on, or as your main instrument. If somebody gifts you a 1/2 size, keep it for fun, but don't get one instead of a 3/4. The double bass is about sound, body, presence, technique, oomph and style. 3/4 gives you the size to grasp of all the above.
Another good rule of thumb is to develop a facial expression which makes you look like you are listening to what the fiddler has to say, whilst in truth you are thinking about a sandwich....

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1418937121' post='2635088']
Another good rule of thumb is to develop a facial expression which makes you look like you are listening to what the fiddler has to say, whilst in truth you are thinking about a sandwich....
[/quote]Sound advice for any type of bass player - guitar player is ripping it, your face says, "Yeah, go buddy," whilst your brain says, "Mmm, cheese and pickle." :D

[quote name='mickcope' timestamp='1418926247' post='2634975']
I have just started (newbie) playing Double bass in a Bluegrass Band - using an Old 3/4 Bass - the fiddle player suggested that at lot of bluegrass players use 1/2 as they are now bowing and so don't need the size.

Never having tried a half size - is there much difference in them in terms of the volume of output from the instrument?

cheers

Mick
[/quote]

Dare I suggest that your fiddle player has got his sizes mixed up? Larger 7/8 or 4/4 size basses tend to be seen in orchestral settings, 3/4 size basses are as standard in Bluegrass as anywhere else.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1418937121' post='2635088']
.......Another good rule of thumb is to develop a facial expression which makes you look like you are listening to what the fiddler has to say, whilst in truth you are thinking about a sandwich....
[/quote]

Top advice, and substitute "fiddler" for guitarist / singer / drummer wherever applicable! ;)

I always thought that in the main, 3/4 was pretty much the standard size used in bluegrass
as it seems to be in Jazz etc etc

I tried a 1/2 size recently, for the 1st time (playing a 3/4 usually)
And I found the 1/2 size wasn't quite as "small" as I expected....
I had initially thought about getting one in the future, to save my back / space in the car/ ease of lugging around
But I don't think 1/2 size is that much smaller, from a practical point of view

In fact, my 3/4 David Gage has a smaller body, and certainly felt a little lighter than the 1/2 size

I think I's stick with your 3/4 if I were you

I've also seen a shallower bodied 3/4 double bass
maybe that's another option for aiding portability?

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1418976050' post='2635312']
Similarly, I see no grand reason to move from the 1/2 size I'm learning on. The actual difference is negligible. In fact, the only downside so far is the lesser availability of strings...
[/quote]
You are totally right, don't move just now until you find out if you are going to play it seriously, there's no need just now. But when you do, you will have to go 3/4. Strings are not an "only", they are a double bass player obsession and one of the most important ingredients of finding your sound.

As someone who has been on a couple of bluegrass tuition weekends (Sorefingers) and watched s load of YouTube clips of top bluegrass and old time players, I can say the 3/4 bass is absolutely the standard in that genre of music. Don't get me started on strings. I would probably own a desert island by now we're it not for my endless experimenting :D

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1419012768' post='2635760']

You are totally right, don't move just now until you find out if you are going to play it seriously, there's no need just now. But when you do, you will have to go 3/4. Strings are not an "only", they are a double bass player obsession and one of the most important ingredients of finding your sound.
[/quote]
I was trying to say that if I got on well with it, there's no need to change. Just because it's a 1/2 doesn't mean it's of no serious use. Strings are less easy to source, but not impossible. The smallest 3/4 and the largest 1/2 are just about the same size, so saying one *must* have this or that size is really about as useful as saying that if you're a pro electric player you *must* play a Fender.

Which of course, you must!
;)

Edited by Telebass

I got a Kania small bodied DB to learn on a year and a half ago. The reason was lack of space and convenience. It is a very nice instrument but looking back I would do it different. I would get a 3/4 to learn and if I started gigging then the small bodied might be useful for transporting ( I imagine this may change when I get the 'one). You certainly don t get that full sound and the solid feel of the real thing. I still like he Kania a lot though

My first DB was a 1/2 size. The main problem I found was that I had to extend the endpin a lot more to get the bass at a reasonable height. This meant that balancing the bass was much more difficult when playing stood up. I feel much more comfortable with my current 3/4 size.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1418976050' post='2635312']
Similarly, I see no grand reason to move from the 1/2 size I'm learning on. The actual difference is negligible. In fact, the only downside so far is the lesser availability of strings...
[/quote]
I respectfully disagree. The added heft, tone and sustain from a full 3/4 bass, including both the body size and the longer mensure is the definition of supporting an ensemble. There is quite a significant difference in resonance in the added @ 5 cm of lower bout width and 5 to 8 cm of mensure.

Here's the deal: true bass fundamental frequencies need more room to propagate. The player will not hear the difference standing next to the bass. But as I have demonstrated to other players who say they didn't really hear me on stage, when they would take turns and go out front of the stage or stage area a few meters, they were surprised how much bigger the bass sounded.

• 3 weeks later...