Why become a member? ×

Drunkest night of the year - impact on gigging bands?

The Admiral

According to several of the newspapers, all the interested parties: publicans, police and hospitals etc. are expecting tonight to be the 'drunkest' of the year - last Friday before Christmas and loads of works parties on. I was in Edinburgh overnight last night, in a hotel on the Grassmarket, where from the 17th Dec, they have a 5 a.m. Licence! It was like the zombie apocalypse outside my window at 0500, with people staggering about, incoherent and drooling.

It will be interesting to see if the 'How was your gig last night?...' thread reflects this!

Any experiences so far?

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419031379' post='2636006']
Why do people think it's a great idea to celebrate the birth of Baby Jebus by getting hammered? It is illogical in the extreme.
[/quote]

It's all us Pagans celebrating the winter Solstice and Yule.....for us perfectly logical ;)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1419036512' post='2636027']
It's all us Pagans celebrating the winter Solstice and Yule.....for us perfectly logical ;)
[/quote]

That makes perfect sense. Anyway I'm consumed by inane righteousness as I haven't had a drink for months.
I'm usually on the lash every day from November to January. And then the rest of the year.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419036673' post='2636028']

That makes perfect sense. Anyway I'm consumed by inane righteousness as I haven't had a drink for months.
I'm usually on the lash every day from November to January. And then the rest of the year.
[/quote]

But don't tell anyone or they'll send the Witchfinder General out after us.....the Bass Chat Witch Trials.....

Yep - we had a few people who were completely smashed when we arrived to set up at 7!

We had the classic "I'm a good singer, what songs do you sing, can I get up and sing some with you" line. . .

Then one lone woman appeared who was absolutely wasted and danced on her own all evening. As soon as we finished she disappeared - thankfully :)

Edited by molan

Had a great gig last night. (Friday)

The usual drunks were there, but it was all good natured and friendly. Lots of drunken dancing and the standard requests for Mustang Sally. (We didn't play it but Sweet Home Alabama was asked for and we gave in....)

Saturdays gig will be a hoot.

Frank.

Played in Galashiels,in Scottish Borders tonight,plenty of drunks good and bad! The usual mad woman dancing about,knocking drinks over,knocking chairs over,falling on her arse and stamping on our lead guitar players pedals,causing the guitar to cut out. He said the last person that done that got a belt in the mouth,she got off lightly with a mouth full of abuse! Happy Christmas fellow bass folk!!

We played last Friday and the place (Pillars Pub) was packed, great holiday gig. Our gig Saturday & Sunday gigs were marginal.

We play a Road House gig tomorrow night, hoping it's packed and gets crazy.

Tip:

If your doing a stage-less bar gig this weekend and you value your pedal board, cover it with saran wrap or something to cover it. I would hate to hear about a pitcher of beer being spilled on someones pedals.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1419048942' post='2636074']

Tip:

If your doing a stage-less bar gig this weekend and you value your pedal board, cover it with saran wrap or something to cover it. I would hate to hear about a pitcher of beer being spilled on someones pedals.

Blue
[/quote]
I thought it probably was - but for all us Limeys :- 'Saran Wrap' = cling film

Edited by Drax

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1419031033' post='2636000']
I was in Edinburgh overnight last night, in a hotel on the Grassmarket, where from the 17th Dec, they have a 5 a.m. Licence! It was like the zombie apocalypse outside my window at 0500, with people staggering about, incoherent and drooling.
[/quote]

Welcome to Edinburgh. We have a zombie apocalypse every weekend. The level of drunkenness that the Scottish population can achieve on a 'night oot' can be disturbing to non Scots.

It's disturbing to me......and I'm Scottish.

I'm looking forward to playing at Warminster later tonight, it's a well known army garrison town and has been known to get a tad rowdy - mostly when Sadie, the landlady ( who's about 5 feet tall in heels), ends up physically throwing the peeps that get too rowdy! Fair play she runs a tight ship and doesn't take any messing from anyone! She's sctually quite sexy when she's getting bossy!😳😊