Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a Power Supply Unit!

NancyJohnson

Thomann one (£22) conked out after very little use in around a year. I have a small Pedaltrain board, on which is Velcro'd a pair of talent boosters (Sansamp BDDI/VTBass DI) and a Boss TU Tuner. I also have an option of a yellow Boss bass overdrive.

I'll use Thomann (I have a voucher that will cover the 10Euro shipping). I'm drawn to the Pedaltrain Volto (£75), T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior (£83) - this looks almost identical to the Harley Benton, or the Mooer Micro Power (£67).

Anyone else got any suggestions?
P

I've been using a One Spot power supply for the last year. It's been totally dependable and has been in use A LOT so nothing but praise for it. Very simple and small to pack away. I guess the only thing is whether you are after a 'box' type format or more of a lead which is what the One Spot is. You can get various daisy chain connections for your pedals according to what number you need it to supply. For me it's been three and has been great. Recommended if it meets your needs.

I had a no name one from a guitar shop for years, and it lasted a reasonable time, but as I got more pedals it must have felt the strain and just stopped working.

After that I got a Dr. Tone PSU10 power supply, and that just went up in smoke (literally) the first time I plugged it in, which I realised must have been to do with my pedals and the load.

Once I had ventilated my room, and the smoke had cleared, I contacted Shep on here and he gave me some great advice, and I ended up running everything from a Diago Powerstation, and had no problems since!

Up until about midday yesterday, I would have recommended the Mooer Micro Power...

I was at a rehearsal with my band, prior to a gig in Leicester last night. We were about an hour into practice and me pedal board starts pulsing on and off in a regular pattern. Really, really weird. Hadn't seen anything like it before.
A little bit of investigation indicated that the actual power brick was probably OK, but the supplied 12V DC adapter plug was pulsing on and off when plugged into a mains socket.

With a gig that evening, I had to rush out and buy whatever power brick I could find, which happened to be a Chord DC Power Bank. Probably not what I would have gone for if I'd had the luxury of time and choice, but it worked flawlessly for the rest of our rehearsal and for the gig. Time will tell I guess.

So, to sum up, I wouldn't recommend the Mooer Micro Power. However, while it was working it was fantastic, so it may be worth checking around to see if anyone else has had any issue with them. I'm just one guy after-all.
And if anyone can explain what was happening with my 12V DC Adapter (the pulsing on and off), please enlighten me. I suspect it had been inhabited by ghosts...? Something like that?

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1419163928' post='2637082']
I have no experience of power supplies but my son plays the guitar and, after searching, reading and watching the whole internet he asked for a T-Rex for Christmas.
Make what you want of this :-D
[/quote]

very good choice

The GigRig Generator is around £100, plus it looks like you need a £35 distributor unit to send isolated power to each pedal (rather than daisy chaining the supplies). T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior or the Diago Powerstation frontrunners at the moment. I've emailed Thomann about the HB to see what they'll do (probably not much as I've already put it through the WEEE recycling at work)...if they sort out some discount, I'll go with the T-Rex.

[quote name='fingerz' timestamp='1419113240' post='2636807']
I've been using a [b]One Spot[/b] power supply for the last year. It's been totally dependable and has been in use A LOT so nothing but praise for it. Very simple and small to pack away. I guess the only thing is whether you are after a 'box' type format or more of a lead which is what the One Spot is. You can get various daisy chain connections for your pedals according to what number you need it to supply. For me it's been three and has been great. Recommended if it meets your needs.
[/quote]

+1. Been using one for years to feed 5 pedals. Works great, it´s small and light wheight. :)

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1419166271' post='2637107']
Used to use a DC Brick. Faultless, but when I got a TC Nove Dynamics and a Markbass Booster I needed 12v so switched to a T Rex Fuel Tank. Never an ounce of trouble. DC Brick is for sale by the way (crafty plug eh?)
[/quote]

I was looking at a Fuel Tank because I also run a 12v Markbass pedal (compressore), but noticed the MB website says it needs a minimum of 600ma, whereas the fuel tank only supplies 500 (I think?). I take it from your post that that hasn't been an issue in practice..?

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1431628285' post='2773436']
I use [url="http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/SupaNova.html"]this[/url] to power my MB compressore. Never had a problem with it.
[/quote]

Interesting - thanks. But it just powers the one pedal, right? I have the Markbass psu for the compressore, and that works fine - but I was hoping to just have the one power supply on my pedal board that would feed everything on it (currently six pedals including the compressore - mostly 9v of course).