Why become a member? ×

Duke Basses

dudi8

dudi8,
Although I am primarily a roots player, I have used mine at pro level for everything apart from bow work. In more modern settings I "had" to use a bright steel string, but by trade I prefer guts and do a lot of slapping.
They are the best plywoods money can buy IMO. Made in Germany with passion. They don't have the street cred of 1930s Kays or American Standards, but that's an attitude fostered by the pursuit of old mojo, Dukes are every bit as good to my ears. The only reason why they are advertised purely as rockabilly basses is that modern jazz players need a more versatile instrument, not just the old school pizz sound that is the "forte" of the Dukes.
I recommend them very very highly indeed. Hope this helps.

Edited by Rabbie

The Peacemaker model is indeed a thing of beauty. Much like the "Cleveland" model of the American Standards, it's fat body and high shoulders may make it less suitable to soloing in the high register but I bet it's a powerful cannon for regular bass duties. Mind you, my Duke is a violin shaped modelled on the Kays of the late 30s and it is a very powerful sounding machine too. It does the old school direct sound to perfection and then some. It ain't a nimble sports car, more like a steam train that'll pull any kind of band IMO.