Why become a member? ×

Squier affinity j bass - any good for forty quid?

Greggo

I'll keep it short and simple. I don't play bass as much any more and I'm moving on my yamaha bb414 on in new year to part ex for a new six string (dont hate me!) so I would just need something for a bit of recording, jamming every now and then .

Would this be a good buy for forty quid as seen one in second hand with just a few dings on here and there but didn't get chance to play it.

Decent enough tone for casual recording, jamming?

Not had the J but had a couple of Affinity P basses over the last few years. Forty quid is a good price. Stock hardware and pups are a bit meh but plenty good enough for casual use and forms a decent base for upgrade (I put a wizard thumper and some wilkinson hardware in mine).
I also ended up changing the neck on my last one but that was only for fun.....here's the before and after.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1419202448' post='2637631']
They work ok G but aren't the best quality.
[/quote]

erm... yes, it is £40! ;)

It's an ok bass, certainly worth the £40. Pickups probably the weakest link... but easily upgradeable if it bothers you. Do it!

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1419191012' post='2637450']
Not had the J but had a couple of Affinity P basses over the last few years. Forty quid is a good price. Stock hardware and pups are a bit meh but plenty good enough for casual use and forms a decent base for upgrade (I put a wizard thumper and some wilkinson hardware in mine).
I also ended up changing the neck on my last one but that was only for fun.....here's the before and after.
[/quote]
Ah my old P bass, dont tell mcnach or the others, everyone thinks I am a Stingray only fanboi and I like it that way ;) :D

[sub][size=3][size=5]This is my old Affinity Jazz, [/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Rolled fingerboard and fret dressed, [/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]New full size tuners,[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Bartolini pickups, [/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]EBS active preamp,[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]BadassII bridge,[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Fender USA pickguard,[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Battery in the cavity and the jack socket mounted in the body.[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Other than that it was a stock Squier other than the fake logo off ebay :lol:[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130228_184909_zps94d558d6.jpg.html"][/url][/sub]
[size=5][sub]Fantastic bass that someone here has now?[/sub][/size]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1419432190' post='2639906']
[sub][size=3][size=5]This is my old Affinity Jazz, [/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Rolled fingerboard and fret dressed, [/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]New full size tuners,[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Bartolini pickups, [/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]EBS active preamp,[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]BadassII bridge,[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Fender USA pickguard,[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Battery in the cavity and the jack socket mounted in the body.[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=5]Other than that it was a stock Squier other than the fake logo off ebay :lol:[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/20130228_184909_zps94d558d6.jpg.html"][/url][/sub]
[size=5][sub]Fantastic bass that someone here has now?[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

That is NICE!

Haha there you go, cracking bass aint she?! The only reason that bass is not my go to covers band bass is the lack of a B string, I wish my USA Jazz V sounded as good as it, I still think I will end up with a preamp in mine to try and emulate that Squier :)

Has is gained any alterations or is it still like it was when it was mine? what a huge sounding bass! It has seen some party band buffets with me over the years that little Jazz bass :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

• 1 month later...